Jenkins to have Back surgery

dll2000

What's the only thing worse than an OL having back surgery? An OL who has had back surgery and tries to rush back...if Jenkins needs to take a redshirt this year then so be it...I would rather than then 10 years of solid play than 4 games at the end of this year and a career wasted from then on out...

I really hope they get Borom back and give him and extended look at LT over the next two preseason games because if he can hang there it would be a massive plus.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Fricken liars.  

Yeah...you're obviously right about that. 

They do say they're hoping to get him back this season (provided that isn't another lie). I wonder what Jenkins' issue is? Maybe a disc...I guess?

48 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I really hope they get Borom back and give him and extended look at LT over the next two preseason games because if he can hang there it would be a massive plus.

I think Borom will be the starting LT come Opening Day. 

And my prediction is that he will do well! 

• Like 1

This is what I was talking about with the stupid ******* coach speak. It's like Nagy is a Dollar Tree Bill  Belichick. He seems to be trying to outwit other coaches with this nonsense, but no DC is losing sleep about a rookie OT like Jenkins. Mack, Smith, or ARob you can use some smoke and mirrors but he's overdone it to the point no one will take his claims too seriously. Lol

I'm still high on Jenkins and would have happily taken him knowing he needed a surgery, but how stupid to claim back tightness this whole time. He essentially said the medical staff was too clueless to be able to detect the severity sooner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

This is what I was talking about with the stupid ******* coach speak. It's like Nagy is a Dollar Tree Bill  Belichick.

I realize what the comparison is. For all the old wrestling fans the Belichick v Nagy is like Goldberg v Gillberg.

3455606-untitled-10.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Like I said before.  I hate being right when it comes to stuff like his but if anyone was expecting honesty from Matt Nagy you're probably also hoping the Powerball Fairy blesses you with a solo win.  Once we passed the two weeks of being sidelined point this was a foregone conclusion.  Now all we can hope for is that it only costs him one season not his entire career.  No back surgery is ever minor and there's always a chance it can make things worse instead of better.  Ask my Dad.  As bad as my back has become I will never agree to having surgery on it.

Man, Pace has some rotten luck with injuries.  I thought he'd be more gunshy after K White (and I remain convinced that's why he passed on Watson but anyway...) but drafted Jenkins.  There wasn't a lot being made about his back before the draft, and he was apparently working out kinda hard early in practice before abruptly stopping within the first 2 weeks or so, so perhaps this is just something different than last year and crap luck. 

What's not luck is the decisions he makes and his appetite for risk seems to be all over the place. Signing a one-year-wonder in Quinn to a really onerous contract was banking on the team offense getting average the defense needing to be amazing in 19. Didn't work out and now the Bears are stuck with Quinn which puts them on a ****ty allowance when it comes to signing talent.  Entering this offseason they were hamstrung and had a few options to improve their finances: extend Robinson (please!!!), extend, trade or release Hicks (I love him but wanted to trade him), extend or release Fuller (seemed bad then, seems worse now), extend of cut Leno (fine, but better have a good plan in place if he's gone), extend or release Graham...  Of all those options it stuns me that we kept Graham.  The ONLY reason I can think of is that there was some handshake deal that was going to help get R Wilson to Chicago.  Of all the positions above, which is the easiest to replace? TE easy.  I know the Bears like him in the red zone, and like the mentoring, but they had more premium positions to worry about. I think they should have prioritized Fuller in terms of either restructure or trade, instead he's gone for nothing.  Allen Robinson is planning on balling out this year and getting a big contract and being gone next year right when Fields will hopefuilly be ready to contend.  HIcks is _now_ shopping for a longer/bigger contract and will bring in nothing next year when he should've been moved for _anything_, and I love Hicks. Now we have huge questions at CB where our best CB is an injury scare himself and the dropoff from him to the next guy would make your ears pop.  Now we have a STACKED defensive line and frankly a surplus of guys, which is fine if it's not taking away resources from other places, like, say, the OL.  When Leno left it was a big risk that would take even minor bad luck (Ifedi gets hurt, or Jenkins isn't ready) and instead we've had MASSIVE bad luck.  Even with that luck, it seems risky as hell to draft your hopeful face of the franchise QB, and then count on everyone from last year being as good or better, and then counting on a rookie LT to be ready day one, all while adding some pretty shallow depth.  Crazy to me at the time, and now that we've had injuries like I've never seen, it's going to cost the Bears. Let's just hope it doesn't wreck Fields.  You can say what you want about the great ones being able to overcome but getting your head beat in all season can take a toll, and that's saying nothing about getting hurt and watching Dalton and Foles for a season while you feel like a busted failure.  

I always liked Pace's way of filling needs in the offseason, sign decent vet, draft a couple, but this year he HAD a decent vet and letting him go was a big risk, and now we're literally seeing "what's the worst that could happen?"

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I think Borom will be the starting LT come Opening Day. 

And my prediction is that he will do well! 

Well, some of you tried to warn me, but no regrets with my new fandom haha.

But I do get to tell you all how much of a steal I think the Bears got in Larry Borom as I watched his entire career at Mizzou. 

I will be frank up front, tossing him in at LT was not something I thought he could handle right away, but I also wasnt sure that he would shed some of the extra weight he has always been carrying so quickly. He was always a bit extra padded, which helped him over power many of the guys he went against. but he was also extremely agile for that size. In trimming up, he should only be better and quicker. 

He has always been smart, and out worked alot of guys he went up against, so getting into real shape, and getting some real OL coaching I always though he would be a very good RT. So lets see what he can pull off at LT, would ne very nice to end up with two starting caliber OTs out of this draft class.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

But I do get to tell you all how much of a steal I think the Bears got in Larry Borom as I watched his entire career at Mizzou. 

I will be frank up front, tossing him in at LT was not something I thought he could handle right away, but I also wasnt sure that he would shed some of the extra weight he has always been carrying so quickly. He was always a bit extra padded, which helped him over power many of the guys he went against. but he was also extremely agile for that size. In trimming up, he should only be better and quicker. 

He has always been smart, and out worked alot of guys he went up against, so getting into real shape, and getting some real OL coaching I always though he would be a very good RT. So lets see what he can pull off at LT, would ne very nice to end up with two starting caliber OTs out of this draft class.

Cheers and welcome to Bears land. 

A lot of us didn't know much about him, but some of the predraft podcasts had mentioned him as being a good value in the 3rd-5th rounds, so lets hope you're all right, as the Bears could use a feel good story from the OL. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Maybe Borom is Gherig and just needed Wally Pips in front of him to get hurt for his opportunity.   

One can always dream. 

• Like 1