IS Alvin Kamara on HOF pace?

Kiwibrown

35 minutes ago, chiefs82 said:

If he goes in, Jamaal Charles should go in also

Disagree that Jamaal Charles should get in even though he's one of my all time favorite players. I absolutely think he had the talent to get in, but not the body of work unfortunately largely due to his injuries. 

5 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

OK...I'll acknowledge that this is a fair point. But it's sad that we are trying to sift through the bias and psych of voters in order to determine if Kamara has had one of the best four years to open his career at RB in NFL history. If Kamara was drafted in the top half of the first round...would we even be having this conversation right now?

In my case, I don't even recall where he was drafted. I know that when 7th round pick Terrell Davis ran for 1100, 1400, 1700, and 2000 yds and won MVP and SB MVP, I didn't have any questions...but I will admit that TD was as slam a dunk as any RB should've been. 

I don't think his draft position has anything to do with the conversation. 

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Disagree that Jamaal Charles should get in even though he's one of my all time favorite players. I absolutely think he had the talent to get in, but not the body of work unfortunately largely due to his injuries. 

Charles is a case for peak vs compilation....at his peak how many RBs in the league would you have taken over him? 2? Maybe? He just didn't have an extended peak, but in the seasons he was healthy he was a top 3 RB.  

2 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Charles is a case for peak vs compilation....at his peak how many RBs in the league would you have taken over him? 2? Maybe? He just didn't have an extended peak, but in the seasons he was healthy he was a top 3 RB.  

I'd have him ranked similarly to how I currently rank Kamara. Right in the conversation with the best in the league and an elite RB in his best seasons. Unfortunately for Charles, Kansas City wasted his early years not giving him nearly as many snaps as he should have gotten, and once he finally started to show his elite ability, he had 2 knee injuries derail a good chunk of his prime, and likely shortened his career after the 2nd knee injury. As mentioned previously, he's one of my favorite all-time players, and I'd be thrilled to see him get in the HOF, but I just don't see an argument for him to get there. Another 2-3 years of elite production may have been all that he needed,  but I just don't think he did enough to justify it.

Meh, Kamara has 710 yards from scrimmage and 5 touchdowns in 8 games the past 2 years that Drew Brees didn't start. This doesn't even factor in how bad Taysom Hill was in several of those games. Jameis Winston undoubtedly looks like a much more competent QB than Hill at this point, so I'm not too concerned about Kamara's numbers dropping without Brees. Heck the threat of a deep ball might even open things up for him in some ways.

Edited by tyler735

7 hours ago, Danger said:

I whole heartedly expect his numbers to fall off a cliff with Drew Brees gone. Teams are gonna focus him so hard now.

Because they don't already focus on him? Watch more Saints games. Dude gets more attention than any RB in the NFL. Brees hasn't been able to push the ball beyond 10 yards...you don't think that teams knew he was getting the ball? It doesn't matter because he is too quick for LBs and too big for DBs. There are only a few LBs in the NFL that can cover him on an inconsistent basis. I mean...how hard is it to toss the ball to Kamara and let him create for big gains? Seems like the easiest job in the world to me...seems like something I could do pretty effectively being joe shmoe.  If the offense shifts away from peppering Kamara 80+ times per season...he'll just carry the ball more behind the best OL in the NFL. There is little doubt that he could rush for 1500 yards. He can do anything he wants in on the football field, it's just a matter of what Payton allows him to do. One of these years...he'll give him more volume at running the ball, and this little thread is going to look stupid.

Edited by sammymvpknight

On 8/26/2021 at 1:58 PM, Danger said:

I whole heartedly expect his numbers to fall off a cliff with Drew Brees gone. Teams are gonna focus him so hard now.

Nah, if anything, this opens things up for him. Drew Brees is one of the best ever, but his last like 2 years weren't all that great. His arm died on him similar to Peyton Manning at the very end of his career. Winston can stretch defenses. If Winston can stop being a turnover machine, he has the potential to be a really good QB. He's had time to become humbled, be around Brees, and he has a great coach. If Winston is good, things will open up even more for Kamara.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, showtime said:

Nah, if anything, this opens things up for him. Drew Brees is one of the best ever, but his last like 2 years weren't all that great. His arm died on him similar to Peyton Manning at the very end of his career. Winston can stretch defenses. If Winston can stop being a turnover machine, he has the potential to be a really good QB. He's had time to become humbled, be around Brees, and he has a great coach. If Winston is good, things will open up even more for Kamara.

I agree - with Jameis starting, I don't know that he stops turning the ball over but the offense should cook. His last season starting in Tampa was ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I agree - with Jameis starting, I don't know that he stops turning the ball over but the offense should cook. His last season starting in Tampa was ridiculous. 

He just needs to not turn the ball over at an all-time rate. I think he had 35 turnovers his last season with the Bucs. He threw for over 5,000 yards and finished second in passing TD's, so the kid has tons of talent and can get it done at a high level.

Hopefully losing his starting job and being on the bench humbled him a bit. He also got some quality time with Brees and hopefully that helped him be more careful, and Payton is an awesome coach. This might be one of his last chances as a starting QB. If he can't succeed in this environment, then how much more hope would another team have for him? He has a chance to resurrect his career and start making big bucks again. I think he'll be better.

I don't think Kamara will make the HOF if he stays with the Saints, simply because his role and the way he's used will be held against him like it is in this thread. But if he ever gets traded or released or just walks after his contract I could see him having a dominant year as a rusher and getting some nods then.

On 8/25/2021 at 1:10 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

You can use the "oh but..." in regards to any player and label them as a victim of circumstance. Everyone in the world would have an excuse then for lackluster production. "Oh I was hurt, oh I didn't have a good QB, oh my offensive line, oh, oh, oh, oh cry me a river"

Good post.

If people want to use that excuse, Kamara's worst season was played on a bad ankle that became a bad knee as he tried playing through it. 

I don't ever see anyone bring that up and I'm good with that, everyone gets hurt. But if other people want to talk about injuries, Kamara's active game number doesn't tell the whole story either.