Eagles LB Jordan Hicks done for year with achilles rupture

MemphisEagles

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000866420/article/injuries-eagles-jordan-hicks-feared-to-have-torn-achilles

Saw the topic about Jason Peters but this is almost as significant. Monday was a costly win. 

We coincidentally worked out 3 linebackers last week.

(Donald Butler, Jelani Jenkins, Sean Spence. Curious what fans from their previous teams thought)

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/10/16/16485962/philadelphia-eagles-work-out-three-free-agent-linebackers-jordan-hicks-injury-donald-butler-spence

2 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

I love Hicks and he is a very good LB, but Peters is much bigger loss. I wish Hicks a speedy recovery, and hope he is back by next year fully healthy. He was having a outstanding season again.

Butler was pretty good few years ago, don't mind him.

I'm inclined to agree, but I think it is mostly because we don't have the personnel behind Peters that we do behind Hicks.  But this is still a huge loss for our defense.  Hicks is a force in the middle when he is healthy (but that's becoming an all too familiar statement with him).  

It's a huge bummer that Bowman and Hodges both got signed last week, we could've really used either one to fill in.

Peters is a huge loss, no doubt, but Hicks is equally crushing.    I mean, he's your TE blanket.    PHI's pass rush can mask a lot of deficiencies, but with Darby out and the young guys still learning, only having to worry about WR's is a lot easier than having to worry about WR's and the TE (Jenkins didn't have to worry as much about TE with Hicks around, and could cover WR's or offer help to the CB's a lot more).   The Redskins showed what losing Hicks did in terms of being vulnerable to TE's in spades last night.

Truthfully, before Peters and Hicks went out, PHI looked like the SB favorite IMO - top 5 OL, top 5 run D, great pass rush, top 3 TE (maybe even top), MVP-level play from Wentz, balanced run and pass attack with multiple guys, and a K who makes the big kicks under pressure.    I still think they have a great shot to get a top or 2 seed, get a bye, and go a long way in January.  But this really  levelled the playing field for the rest of the NFC.

Bad CB play can be masked by a fearsome front 7, but the more weaknesses you have, the more the top 5-6 teams will exploit those mercilessly.  So losing Hicks is a huge blow.   PHI being 6-1 and getting the top seed is still a strong possibility (split the DAL games or better, and they control the NFC East).    But these are 2 big blows, no doubt about it.   

41 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Peters is a huge loss, no doubt, but Hicks is equally crushing.    I mean, he's your TE blanket.    PHI's pass rush can mask a lot of deficiencies, but with Darby out and the young guys still learning, only having to worry about WR's is a lot easier than having to worry about WR's and the TE (Jenkins didn't have to worry as much about TE with Hicks around, and could cover WR's or offer help to the CB's a lot more).   The Redskins showed what losing Hicks did in terms of being vulnerable to TE's in spades last night.

Truthfully, before Peters and Hicks went out, PHI looked like the SB favorite IMO - top 5 OL, top 5 run D, great pass rush, top 3 TE (maybe even top), MVP-level play from Wentz, balanced run and pass attack with multiple guys, and a K who makes the big kicks under pressure.    I still think they have a great shot to get a top or 2 seed, get a bye, and go a long way in January.  But this really  levelled the playing field for the rest of the NFC.

Bad CB play can be masked by a fearsome front 7, but the more weaknesses you have, the more the top 5-6 teams will exploit those mercilessly.  So losing Hicks is a huge blow.   PHI being 6-1 and getting the top seed is still a strong possibility (split the DAL games or better, and they control the NFC East).    But these are 2 big blows, no doubt about it.   

Mychal Kendricks being here makes the loss of Hicks palatable. We need Vaitai to grow up fast on the offense though. 

3 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Mychal Kendricks being here makes the loss of Hicks palatable. We need Vaitai to grow up fast on the offense though. 

Agreed but if Kendricks or Bradham get hurt we are screwed. We have ok depth but it's not going to make up for two studs

On 10/26/2017 at 6:19 PM, mcmurtry86 said:
On 10/26/2017 at 7:53 AM, tom cody said:

To bad to see this. Many big injuries to good players in the NFL this year.

There are always lots of injuries to good players by week 8. Every year people act as if it's a new phenomenon 

Good players yes, Great players though, not really a common occurrence. 

Aaron Rodgers, OBJ, Jason Peters, Joe Thomas, JJ Watt, David Johnson, etc.....

21 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Good players yes, Great players though, not really a common occurrence. 

Aaron Rodgers, OBJ, Jason Peters, Joe Thomas, JJ Watt, David Johnson, etc.....

By this time last year, IR included Teddy Bridgewater, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Keenan Allen, JJ Watt, Navorro Bowman, Sam Shields, and Reshad Jones.

Maybe it's a little bigger in star power this year with OBJ and Rodgers, but for sure basically every year we have one major QB (Peyton, Brady, Luck, Bridgewater, Carr, Mariota, etc.), at least one major RB (Peterson, Charles, Bell, etc.) and a handful of defenders and linemen end up on IR. As a fan of a team that seems to have at least one all-pro on injured reserve at all-time, it's really like this every year. Slight fluctuations, maybe, but it's always pretty close.

Archived