Vic Fangio names Teddy Bridgewater week 1 starter

TheRealMcCoy

On 8/27/2021 at 11:23 PM, Malfatron said:

Bridgewater makes fewer mistakes and is more consistent

Broncos are gonna have to win games old school

Its honestly been that way since 2014 when John Elway went nuclear in Free Agency with Ware/Ward/Stewart/Talib after getting beat by the Seahawks in the SB.

For a long time now the Broncos have leaned on their defense because of lack of QB play on offense and try to win 'old school'. Which is also why there have been numerous beefs in the lockeroom between defensive and offensive players over the past 5 years. I wonder if this year will be any different when the weight of the entire team is on the defense to hold every opponent to 17 points.

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2021 at 2:03 PM, Turnobili said:

i'd rather give lock another year to figure it out than give bridgewater another year to show us what we already know. with teddy, the season is going to be completely wasted if they arent a very good/playoff team, because you learned nothing new. at least if you play lock and miss the playoffs, you gain more certainty that lock isn't salvageable 

and if they already know that lock isn't salvageable, then their offseason/draft makes even less sense

this guy called it

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

Lock is trash though. With bridgewater you can start building your reputation up for next offseason. More likely to get free agents and keep your own players for cheaper.

What reputation you building with teddy. And honestly Broncos need to burn it to the ground next offseason. Gm and coach. 

5 hours ago, Kirill said:

Lock is trash though. With bridgewater you can start building your reputation up for next offseason. More likely to get free agents and keep your own players for cheaper.

if they already knew Lock was trash and wasn't the answer then they just wasted an entire season not doing anything to move the team forward. they should have gone after a QB. what's the point of a bridge QB like teddy if there isn't anybody at the end of the bridge?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Derptacular said:

if they already knew Lock was trash and wasn't the answer then they just wasted an entire season not doing anything to move the team forward. they should have gone after a QB. what's the point of a bridge QB like teddy if there isn't anybody at the end of the bridge?

Who were the other options? Let's assume they weren't high on Mac Jones or Justin FIelds (because they passed on both). Maybe they saw Bridgewater as the best bridge available to hold them over until they could draft a QB they like.

33 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Who were the other options? Let's assume they weren't high on Mac Jones or Justin FIelds (because they passed on both). Maybe they saw Bridgewater as the best bridge available to hold them over until they could draft a QB they like.

This is the only thing that makes sense to me. He's just a place holder until they can draft someone they like next year. Which, again, I'm not too knowledgeable on the QB class of this upcoming year but wasn't this past year's class much better?

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is the only thing that makes sense to me. He's just a place holder until they can draft someone they like next year. Which, again, I'm not too knowledgeable on the QB class of this upcoming year but wasn't this past year's class much better?

I think so. But if you only liked Lawrence, Wilson, and/or Lance, it doesn't mean much that the class was better if you didn't have any of those guys as an option. Plus, you may have an opportunity to trade for a QB who wasn't available to you last off-season--for example, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Jared Goff, Matt Ryan, Jimmy Garoppolo, etc. So Bridgewater may have just been the best option to buy time when you didn't have any good options. Of course, Fangio is coaching for his HC life, so he may not get to see it through. But the Broncos actually have a lot of good pieces. That's a team that could see a quick turnaround, if they continue to spiral this year.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

whats the point of holding over with teddy. might as well roll with Luck, give him one more shot, and if he sucks then you get a better draft pick.

and thats assuming you dont like Fields or Mac for some reason

9 minutes ago, Derptacular said:

whats the point of holding over with teddy. might as well roll with Luck, give him one more shot, and if he sucks then you get a better draft pick.

and thats assuming you dont like Fields or Mac for some reason

Because Vic Fangio is going to get fired if the Broncos suck. Why would he sabotage himself?

I never understood this move as Lock isnt the answer teddy was never the answer either you knew what he was and wasnt capable with. Everyone got hung up on him being with the saints and had some respectable numbers but once he went to Carolina he showed what he was when he was with Minnesota nothing special. It reminds me of Foles, a string of games makes teams forget their past experiences of struggles and the reason why they were backups and not a starter in the first place these guys aren't that good to be a consistent starter in the NFL. Not trying to dog these guys but you either have it or you dont and bridgewater just doesnt have it. I am all for him being my back up as I can count on him for a few games a year if need be but definitely not my starter. 

The division they are in right now isnt going to cut what the broncos have to compete. That offense with Bridgewater under center isn't going to put up 30+ points a game to stay in it against herbert, mahomes, and Carr. Counting on the defense to shut them down consistently is going to be tough. I think they are to far down the hole to come out of it as a playoff caliber team. Fangio is good as gone at this point, it may be time to sell off some pieces to collect picks and start figuring out the next hc staff is.

On 10/24/2021 at 4:27 PM, jrry32 said:

Because Vic Fangio is going to get fired if the Broncos suck. Why would he sabotage himself?

Heres the issue. The Broncos quite literally got Teddy because of Fangio and wanted to see what he could do with a veteran QB and not Lock. They even drafted Surtain because of Fangios influence. He has since s*** the bed and the entire coaching staff sans Munchak/Shula deserved to put out to pasture.

Their entire offseason plan was based around giving Fangio everything he needed to succeed and he has fallen on his face with the help of Pat Shurmer and his "I only believe in long developing routes" philosophy.