Vic Fangio names Teddy Bridgewater week 1 starter

TheRealMcCoy

11 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Still sorta surprised people are harping on the Broncos for passing on a rookie QB i don’t know why but I just got the strongest feeling the Broncos have something up their sleeves end up with A-Aron next year and that’s the reason why they passed on Justin Fields. You don’t pass on Fields if you don’t have a plan set in place imo. 

heck maybe it’s Watson if he gets his legal issues figured out by then. 

I guess it depends on your evaluation of Fields, and to a degree how successful he is this season (although that shouldn't be the biggest factor because I would love his outlook even more in Denver in terms of success), as well as how much you would have to give up in a trade for Rodgers. 

Personally, if I am Denver, I would rather have Fields with my 10th pick or whatever that I already had, than to trade multiple first round picks for 37-38 year old Rodgers. But I say that as someone that loved Fields and had him as the clear cut #2 QB and a guy that would have been the #1 pick in my eyes in most years. 

Obviously if they land Rodgers and win it all, it'll be worth it. But landing Rodgers gives you a 3-5 year window at best, and you'll probably have to invest more assets. Drafting Fields when he falls into your lap opens up a 10 year window of having an elite QB prospect with the kicker being getting him on the rookie contract instead of the 30+ million Rodgers is making per year. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How did they not draft Fields? 

*assuming no plan to get Rodgers or Watson

depending on fields' career, this could well be a question for a long time. they were unsure enough about lock to go acquire bridgewater with the intention of a full competition. that should have been enough of a red flag to draft a replacement in a QB heavy year where they could get a high end prospect without having to trade up

everything is indicating that surtain will be a good pro, but man... i mean the cardinals have been completely vindicated for taking a QB in the first round one year after taking Rosen in the first. should have been a teaching moment (and i was a fan of rosen)

19 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You alright there Turno? Lol

im done fine. i was trying to edit the first post, and when i clicked the submit button nothing happened. so i pressed it again, nothing happened. and a third time, same.

then when i refreshed the page suddenly showed all 3 posted

21 hours ago, Nightmare said:

The Broncos QB situation held a strong roster back last year, and I can’t see that changing much in 2021

"Strong" - really? 

No team in the NFL came close to the CB injuries the Broncos dealt with.
Their best player on Defense and best player on Offense didn't play a single snap all year.
Their signature DL acquisition played barely a game, and the general talent on the DL was as bad as most in the entire league.
Their second best Offensive target was banged up all year.
Their OL was, at very best, a total work in progress with a very poor play at both Center and RT.

I am far from a Lock apologist; ask anyone who has read my all-22 film breakdowns throughout the year. But to say this team had a strong roster last year is simply not true.

This team is significantly better this year on both sides of the ball, health depending (QB likely to hold them back, though, I agree).

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 4

These Chiefs-Broncos games are gonna be lit, Teddy B played great against the Chiefs last season with the Panthers. That game really could have gone either way, and he almost lead the comeback.

I think hes a good fit for what theyre trying to do too. I hate this ,wish they would've stuck with Lock. Those are always fun games.

14 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Still sorta surprised people are harping on the Broncos for passing on a rookie QB i don’t know why but I just got the strongest feeling the Broncos have something up their sleeves end up with A-Aron next year and that’s the reason why they passed on Justin Fields. You don’t pass on Fields if you don’t have a plan set in place imo. 

heck maybe it’s Watson if he gets his legal issues figured out by then. 

I wouldn't pass on 15 years of Justin Fields for 2-3 years of Aaron Rodgers at the end of his career (or at any time in his career for that matter).  I think Fields is going to have a great career.  The Bears got a good one with him, and he could very possibly make their fans forget all about that three year speed bump with MitchTrubisky.  A couple of playoff losses with Aaron Rodgers wouldn't accomplish that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How did they not draft Fields? 

*assuming no plan to get Rodgers or Watson

Because they have a 1st time GM who doesnt want to hitch his wagon to a 1st round QB the first year on the job AND they have a defensive minded head coach that treats DBs like Pokemon.

Why would one year of way-past-his-prime Aaron Rodgers be worth passing on someone like Justin Fields? I don't think I've seen an explanation for that, yet.

That being said, given the QB's on the roster for the Broncos, I can't say this was the wrong decision. Bridgewater is much better than any QB on that team.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think Teddy is the quintessential backup QB - smart, prepared, can run an offense within the confines of said offense, won't take risks. If a good QB goes down with injury, Bridgewater can step in and get a win or two.

Trying to play him as a starter is not going to end well.

Tuh'roddy Bridgewater

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why would one year of way-past-his-prime Aaron Rodgers be worth passing on someone like Justin Fields? I don't think I've seen an explanation for that, yet

Because Elway is still trying to recreate the Two SB appearances he had with an over the hill Peyton Manning. Say what you will but it brought a Championship! 

Drafting a Rookie QB, the next aire apparent hasn't.  Just ask the Oswielers and Locks of the world. Before it's suggested Fields is better which he may be but he's not some can't miss generational type prospect.  He's still a Rookie. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

7 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

I guess it depends on your evaluation of Fields, and to a degree how successful he is this season (although that shouldn't be the biggest factor because I would love his outlook even more in Denver in terms of success), as well as how much you would have to give up in a trade for Rodgers. 

Personally, if I am Denver, I would rather have Fields with my 10th pick or whatever that I already had, than to trade multiple first round picks for 37-38 year old Rodgers. But I say that as someone that loved Fields and had him as the clear cut #2 QB and a guy that would have been the #1 pick in my eyes in most years. 

Obviously if they land Rodgers and win it all, it'll be worth it. But landing Rodgers gives you a 3-5 year window at best, and you'll probably have to invest more assets. Drafting Fields when he falls into your lap opens up a 10 year window of having an elite QB prospect with the kicker being getting him on the rookie contract instead of the 30+ million Rodgers is making per year. 

The Broncos are allergic to drafting/developing their own QBs. They always have a good defense and their mindset is constantly in 'win-now' mode. Thats why they keep putting bandaids (Orton, Flacco, Sanchez, Keenum, Bridewater) on a broken leg--just trying to miraculously recapture a SB title through 1) Defense 2) Run Game 3) Safe Veteran QB

Im personally tired of it and would much rather see them keeping taking chances high in the draft on elite college talent until they hit.

Its partly Pat Bowlen/John Elways issue---they dont know how to 'tank' and build correctly. They are always trying to win and thats why they keep finding themselves in QB purgatory.  They dont like the idea of basically punting 1-2 seasons while the QB develops when they seemingly always have a defense thats ready to win right now.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1