Vic Fangio names Teddy Bridgewater week 1 starter

TheRealMcCoy

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Bridgewater takes em to the playoffs and gets a contract extension.

Bookmark this post.

Bookedmarked to laugh at…

You’ve got to imagine this is the end of the Lock experiment, as being benched for a guy as mediocre as Bridgewater isn’t a great look.

The Broncos QB situation held a strong roster back last year, and I can’t see that changing much in 2021. Teddy is probably about the 25th best QB in the league instead of the 30th like Lock is. So yes, he probably does give them a better chance to win in the short term - just.

21 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Teddy isn't going to make the mistakes Lock makes. Lock would have thrown 3 picks against the Giants with the talent they have on the backend and the crazy disguises Patrick Graham loves to utilize.

I guess it depends on how good you think your team is.

The Broncos are less likely to beat the Ravens with Teddy just avoiding mistakes and checking the ball down all game imo. Yeah Lock could throw 3 picks, but that comes with the added chance that he can also burn your defense on a good day. I don’t see Teddy Bridgewater burning any defenses and I think that limits their ability to beat the upper echelon teams.

Agree that Bridgewater is probably better to play against lower/middle tier teams though

Just now, agarcia34 said:

Bridgewater not bad enough to make sure you get a top 10 pick not good enough to take you to the playoffs. Just average enough to make sure you’re stuck in QB hell with no way of getting out 

I mean, I have little doubt the Saints make the playoffs with Bridgewater the year that he went undefeated in relief of Brees

But yeah, he’s not going to elevate a team. Are the Broncos good enough outside of QB to get to the playoffs? Eh

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Bookedmarked to laugh at…

You’ve got to imagine this is the end of the Lock experiment, as being benched for a guy as mediocre as Bridgewater isn’t a great look.

The Broncos QB situation held a strong roster back last year, and I can’t see that changing much in 2021. Teddy is probably about the 25th best QB in the league instead of the 30th like Lock is. So yes, he probably does give them a better chance to win in the short term - just.

Teddy is solid even with his limitations. I think he'll be good for Denver and some day I bet he'll be a great coach too.

• Like 1

i'd rather give lock another year to figure it out than give bridgewater another year to show us what we already know. with teddy, the season is going to be completely wasted if they arent a very good/playoff team, because you learned nothing new. at least if you play lock and miss the playoffs, you gain more certainty that lock isn't salvageable 

and if they already know that lock isn't salvageable, then their offseason/draft makes even less sense

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He led Carolina to the 8th pick...

Right lol. He was brutal to watch and utterly incapable of making plays, despite the fact he played with 4 1,000 yard players.  How do you only throw 15 touchdowns with Moore, Anderson, and Samuel?

I'm not saying Lock is better but I'm not sure there is a more boring QB to watch than Teddy.  And it doesn't help that there are several examples of him deflecting blame or generally not seeming like he cares much about the end result.  Maybe I'm just spoiled from having Cam as QB for so many years but it never even seemed like the losses affected him much.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I'm not saying Lock is better but I'm not sure there is a more boring QB to watch than Teddy.

I think Teddy is the quintessential backup QB - smart, prepared, can run an offense within the confines of said offense, won't take risks. If a good QB goes down with injury, Bridgewater can step in and get a win or two.

Trying to play him as a starter is not going to end well.

This is the right move to try to win now.

This is the wrong move to figure out your long term QB situation. Similar to Daniel Jones, I assume you want to take one more season to definitively tell whether he is your franchise guy or not.

Although maybe "losing to Teddy Bridgewater" is the answer that he is not. 

The problem is, with either QB, this team is too good to be top 5-10 and able to get an elite one in the next draft

This reminds me of the Bills 2017 season in which they will rely on the defense and run game, using Bridgewater to be a clock manager and not make turnovers. He will not win you games but will not lose you games. I do not see if this is the right move in the division, had it been the AFC South you may get to the playoffs but when you have to face KC and LAC with Vegas Bipolar tendencies it wont get you much. You have to count on defense to hold the high power offenses off from scoring and the run game to eat up clock time. Low scoring games is key for Denver in order to be successful