Week1 GDT:Cardinals(0-0)at Titans(0-0)

Titans fan 617

16 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Everyone talks about McVay and Shanahan. Like that is what we base our offense around. But it’s not. Not really. Watch a 49ers or Rams game and then watch our offense (admittedly, this is dating back to Arthur), that’s not us. That’s light years beyond us, we just happen to have more talented personnel. We want to be the Browns (maybe the Browns wanted to be us? I guess our formula pre-dates Browns success). It’s really that simple. Similar investments to the offensive line (though they’ve obviously been much better at it). Similar strength at RB. Similar fear of putting the ball in the QBs hands. That’s our actual model.

thinking about what this team could do with mcvay or shanahan, or hell even frank reich, makes me want to walk into the sea

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Safety Budda Baker, on the play of the defense: “With that team, once you get a lead on them you have to force them to throw. They can’t do their play-action. They can’t run the ball the way they want to, and then try to use those same running formation to throw the ball. You just couldn’t do it. You just couldn’t do it today. Our D-line did a heck of a job.”

When a dude like that is stating this about our offense. Oof. Reality check.  We need to simply get away from the idea that everything needs start and end with Henry, it is crippling our offense and is disabling us from growing. We need to try to win in different ways. We have watched this god damn tape too many times. Open up Henry through creative high percentage passing plays on early downs. Run Henry out of spread passing sets on unconventional downs, rather than power running formations on first down. Every damn time. It's just doesn't make sense. 

Edited by twotonebluenation

9 hours ago, titans0021 said:

The offense has been figured out. Adjust or die. It’s honestly that simple. It will still work against bad teams and weak fronts, but against good defenses, the formula is out. Same old **** isn’t going to get it done.

It should be a wake up call for the coaches and offense. It wasn't hard to figure out. I like the idea of "make them stop us" but the good ones have shown to stop us. Our line isn't one that dominates against those athletic slashing linemen enough. 

Blah.
I could go on and on but why...lol

We need to not be so one dimensional in our approach. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

It should be a wake up call for the coaches and offense. It wasn't hard to figure out. I like the idea of "make them stop us" but the good ones have shown to stop us. Our line isn't one that dominates against those athletic slashing linemen enough. 

Blah.
I could go on and on but why...lol

We need to not be so one dimensional in our approach. 

It comes down to this

We'll see if we begin making a concerted effort to evolve away from ground-and-pound. I am not holding my breath.

how is this not *literally* what we moved on from mularkey for? that we all knew we had a finite ceiling with his run-first offense and we knew that wasn't where we wanted to be? does anyone seriously think vrabel is capable of winning a super bowl if he doesn't move away from this? the guy said in his opening press conference that we were done running it into stacked boxes and yet, here we are. time is a flat circle.

it's a long season. we'll see how things play out. but i just don't know how much patience i'll have for vrabel if this is what we continue to see. and that's without even getting into his failures on defense....which are worse!

Just can't allow teams to stop us so quickly.

I get it. I'd try to see if they can stop our running game too. Stack it up. I believe in my guys more than your guys approach is fine.

But if it isn't where we need and you see 782733 guys in the box then lets do something different.  
I think i said it in another thread but looking at highlights and seeing other teams face 4-5 man boxes on 1st downs, it's a very big difference.

Teams are almost daring other offenses to run. While they are daring us to pass. With Julio and AJ we should call their bluff. 

• Like 1

Henry got shut down for his first 10 or 11 runs, then he got a few nice runs, then the offense shifted away from him. I didn't see the part where they refused to get away from the run. There was an obvious lack of chemistry with the WR's especially Julio and the line didn't give Tannehill enough time. Things will get better.