NYRaider

Who wins/  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Raiders
    • Ravens

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

I actually expect to win this game and would be surprised if we didn't

The ravens are fast starters and like I said, I need Gruden to show me something and have some balls with his playcalling. I'm expecting a lot of run on 1st down, and predictable play calling. He has the variety, but he always likes to obsessively ground and pound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I still expect us to lose this. I hope I'm wrong. I need Gruden to show me why I should have faith in him. That includes redzone/getting Ruggs touches.

I think a lot of fans are building false hope due to their recent injuries but I genuinely expect us to lose, probably by multiple scores. 

The Ravens still have Lamar Jackson and the two best passing games of his career both came in week 1. I think that's because a lot of teams were so determined to contain him in the running game it allowed their pass catchers to get open. Andrews, Hollywood, and Watkins is still a very good trio of playmakers and Lamar's a better passer then he gets credit for. We'll have 6 new starters on defense in a new scheme and none of our starters saw significant playing time in the preseason. 

Defensively the Ravens blitz more than any team in the league by a wide margin and we're going to be starting Simpson, James, and Leatherwood. 

I also think the Ravens are going to come in extra motivated because people have counted them out due to their injuries. 

Edited by NYRaider

39 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm not even being pessimistic here. This is our best squad since 2016 at least, but it's going to come down to the OL, Gruden, and Bradley getting everyone to gel and avoiding miscommunication-based big plays.

2016....that Oline was prime. Had a savvy vet at WR in Crabtree. And Mack was capable of changing games on defense. 

Best roster since 2016, but still not on that level

Also keep in mind people had the same optimism for the defense in 2016 (Irvin can let Mack loose! Amerson will keep improving! Sean Smith and Reggie Nelson are good, proven vets! )

I'll admit there's some talent here but they still need to actually gel and produce. 

The ravens are fast starters and like I said, I need Gruden to show me something and have some balls with his playcalling. I'm expecting a lot of run on 1st down, and predictable play calling. He has the variety, but he always likes to obsessively ground and pound.

Boring or exciting, last year they were..

Top 10 in scoring 

Top 10 in yards 

Top 10 in passing 

Top 15 in rushing

Top 5 in 20+ yard pass plays 

Top 5 in 40+ yard pass plays

They had the second longest play of any team last season

We were 8-8 last season. If we lose this game the chances are its not going to be because of the offense 

Edited by Jeremy408

18 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Professionals at the beginning of the season are at their peak confidence. It could galvanized their team. If it happens week 5 and they were 1-4, sure it can crush them. 

Still we should beat them but the running back position is the one area where you can get injuries and still not miss a beat 

The Ravens are to dependent on the run.  The Ravens passing game only works when the run game does.  

This I feel like I already know offense is good for 21 points thing is can the defense hold them to 21. Gruden has to open it up for us to score more than 21. But it depends on the oline if the oline can’t handle the blitzes gruden will keep it basic. Defense gotta hold Balt to 21 for us to have a chance 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This I feel like I already know offense is good for 21 points thing is can the defense hold them to 21. Gruden has to open it up for us to score more than 21. But it depends on the oline if the oline can’t handle the blitzes gruden will keep it basic. Defense gotta hold Balt to 21 for us to have a chance 

We need to score more than 21. I want at least 25-28 or we aren't winning IMO.

27 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

2016....that Oline was prime. Had a savvy vet at WR in Crabtree. And Mack was capable of changing games on defense. 

Definitely a very different roster. More young players and less obvious holes. Waller is on a different level than any target we've ever had IMO. I'm banking on the young guys taking reasonable steps forward and the defense being effective from depth/lack of clear weaknesses as opposed to pure star power. Unless that is Max/Yannick/Cle, etc. take a big step.

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think a lot of fans are building false hope due to their recent injuries but I genuinely expect us to lose, probably by multiple scores. 

The Ravens still have Lamar Jackson and the two best passing games of his career both came in week 1. I think that's because a lot of teams were so determined to contain him in the running game it allowed their pass catchers to get open. Andrews, Hollywood, and Watkins is still a very good trio of playmakers and Lamar's a better passer then he gets credit for. We'll have 6 new starters on defense in a new scheme and none of our starters saw significant playing time in the preseason. 

Defensively the Ravens blitz more than any team in the league by a wide margin and we're going to be starting Simpson, James, and Leatherwood. 

I also think the Ravens are going to come in extra motivated because people have counted them out due to their injuries. 

Only speaking for myself: I don’t think it’s a false hope thing. I mentioned a few months ago how I pegged us to win this game. (I remember you and I actually argued about Lamar Jackson as a passer for like a day after that lol.)

That was before we got KJ wright Gerald McCoy and and Denzel Perryman. It was also before we found out that Marcus peters is out. 

My theory is that we’re more equipped for this game from a defensive standpoint. I feel like the way the ravens offense works is that it creates personal problems for whoever the defense Is. You have to have people to be able to contain lamar Jackson but you have to also have run stuffers to be able to stop the run yes they hand it off. I feel like we have an entire run stuffing line and an entire pass rushing line. I also like Gus Bradley versus Lamar Jackson from a game plan standpoint. 

The questions for me or can they pass block offensively against, to your point, one of the top blitzing teams in the NFL. 

Edited by Jeremy408

17 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Boring or exciting, last year they were..

Top 10 in scoring 

Top 10 in yards 

Top 10 in passing 

Top 15 in rushing

Top 5 in 20+ yard pass plays 

Top 5 in 40+ yard pass plays

They had the second longest play of any team last season

We were 8-8 last season. If we lose this game The chances are its not going to be because of the offense 

I know. That was last year. If the OL is better, we will actually be better. But I need to see Leatherwood/James/Simpson be consistent. There is a lot of potential, but I can see the offense going forward or backward this year.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I know. That was last year. If the OL is better, we will actually be better. But I need to see Leatherwood/James/Simpson be consistent. There is a lot of potential, but I can see the offense going forward or backward this year.

I feel that completely. I’m not worried about the run blocking personally for me it’s the Pass blocking. Can they recognize the blitzes when they come. That’s what has me the most anxious

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

that defense was really a one man unit. give up a lot of yards, points, but hope that Mack can make a big play in crunch time (and that year, he did). this defense has a better chance to actually be solid

I’ll just say A) I sure as h*ll don’t know whose counting the ravens out. The majority of us are certainly not. That’s just pure bullsh*t! And don’t even try and tell me the media is..... and B)if anybody should have their backs to the wall it’s the raiders! We were counted out the minute fa and the draft were over, probably before that honestly! 

• Like 1