•• 2022 Draft Prospects ••

WizardHawk

9 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Yeah, literally am not understanding your point, I guess. Sorry.

It's okay, alright, if I'm reading this post correctly, here is one example of someone who clearly was interested in position over BPA.

BPA would have come in the 2nd to later rounds.

On 4/29/2021 at 12:02 PM, matt79511 said:

The internet obviously isn't. No one wants the boring guy who's been mocked to us for 3 months.

I'm in the camp who'll be let down absent him or Horn in the first. I think filling our boundary CB hole first more or less opens us up to go BPA the rest of the way. But there's ample smoke that we're interested in moving down from 10 and/or up from 44, so, *shrug* we'll see.

This was in regards to taking Surtain or Horn or any other top flight CB in the 1st round.

Edited by Rtnldave

Here is another post about drafting position 1st.

Not only that, but in this particular text the poster is denouncing Parsons by name.

Nextyearfordaboyz

think it’s very possible they screw it up in a relative “the could have done better” sense. e.g., taking Horn over Sewell.

But as long as they avoid Micah Parsons and the pass rushers at 10, it won’t be a total botch job.

27 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Here is another post about drafting position 1st.

Not only that, but in this particular text the poster is denouncing Parsons by name.

Nextyearfordaboyz

think it’s very possible they screw it up in a relative “the could have done better” sense. e.g., taking Horn over Sewell.

But as long as they avoid Micah Parsons and the pass rushers at 10, it won’t be a total botch job.

This is my whole point, though. I didn’t think Parsons was BPA.

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This is my whole point, though. I didn’t think Parsons was BPA.

I KNOW you didn't. But others did which may have led to the bitterness of selecting Parsons. Like, "Wtf do THEY know!"

But I remember seeing on the screen:

"Kiper's best remaining" or "McShays best remaining" 

And Parsons name was there.

God, we've gone so far off on this tangent I'm having a difficult time recalling the original point!

47 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I KNOW you didn't. But others did which may have led to the bitterness of selecting Parsons. Like, "Wtf do THEY know!"

I’m confused… you literally quoted my pre-draft take as an example.

54 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

God, we've gone so far off on this tangent I'm having a difficult time recalling the original point!

Yup, pretty sure you have lost the thread on this, so let’s bring it back to the original post I took exception to. You said:

”There were many on here that believe or "believed" that position always outweighed BPA. And many the poo pooed the Parsons pick.”

So if you think the lesson of the Micah Parsons pick, is that we should be happy with BPA over a player at a specific position, then how do you implement it to evaluate future picks. Is your contention literally that if Mel Kiper had the player at BPA, then we should be happy and not “poo poo” the pick? 

4 hours ago, Northland said:

Nakobe Dean is a very impressive player.  He and Parsons would wreak havoc.  He will be long gone before we pick though.  That being said re the draft I am leaning towards how do we make our defense even more imposing?

I really don’t want to go LB in rd 1, I’m a big fan of Dean. He and Parsons would be a hellva duo…..although I must admit I’ve had that same thought recently regarding another duo that resided in Dallas. 

27 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I really don’t want to go LB in rd 1, I’m a big fan of Dean. He and Parsons would be a hellva duo…..although I must admit I’ve had that same thought recently regarding another duo that resided in Dallas. 

I think they wait on taking a LB high. Not saying the neglect the position if someone of significant value is there, but I think they're going to want to give Cox a shot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m confused… you literally quoted my pre-draft take as an example.

Yup, pretty sure you have lost the thread on this, so let’s bring it back to the original post I took exception to. You said:

”There were many on here that believe or "believed" that position always outweighed BPA. And many the poo pooed the Parsons pick.”

So if you think the lesson of the Micah Parsons pick, is that we should be happy with BPA over a player at a specific position, then how do you implement it to evaluate future picks. Is your contention literally that if Mel Kiper had the player at BPA, then we should be happy and not “poo poo” the pick? 

No, forget about the Kiper part of this. It was a bad example. 

As for drafting position vs BPA goes. In this case we already had Diggs. CB, in my opinion, was not an area of need. Yet many on here were vying for Surtain or Farley or Horn, any of the above would have satisfied the idea of drafting a position of need in a lot of people's opinions.

So we draft a LB, whom NOBODY believed was BPA at that time. So far the pick has proven everyone wrong. Drafting another CB, which many believed was a position of need, would most likely NOT have yielded the results of the Parsons pick.

Now, to your question about moving forward. If there is a glaring need like 1989 and we need a QB, and we have the no 1 overall pick and Troy Aikman is there, well that serves both points of view, he is BPA and a position of need.

What I would NOT do is get hung up on a position like CB or S and start mocking the top 2 or 3 players when we already have a guy like Diggs.

5 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

So we draft a LB, whom NOBODY believed was BPA at that time. So far the pick has proven everyone wrong.

Yes, this is exactly what I’ve been saying the whole time. So, if you were trying to say the same thing, I apologize, I completely misunderstood you.

I agree with you entirely that you can’t get too hung up on needing to fill a position that you pass up on a stud. I just don’t think that is what happened to the anti-Parsons crowd. People didn’t like Parsons. Many would have been happy to pass on CB for a guy like Sewell or Pitts.

Clearly, the vast majority of us were wrong in hindsight. Parsons was such an insane grand slam, that they would have to change the rules of baseball and give you 5 runs. Personally, I don’t think I’ve ever been so wrong on an eval. And Plan9 has only been more wrong on Dak 🤣

21 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Yes, this is exactly what I’ve been saying the whole time. So, if you were trying to say the same thing, I apologize, I completely misunderstood you.

I agree with you entirely that you can’t get too hung up on needing to fill a position that you pass up on a stud. I just don’t think that is what happened to the anti-Parsons crowd. People didn’t like Parsons. Many would have been happy to pass on CB for a guy like Sewell or Pitts.

Clearly, the vast majority of us were wrong in hindsight. Parsons was such an insane grand slam, that they would have to change the rules of baseball and give you 5 runs. Personally, I don’t think I’ve ever been so wrong on an eval. And Plan9 has only been more wrong on Dak 🤣

Oh sheet, that's cold!

But, to his credit, he did point out that many on here were not on the Parsons train due to character issues. I can understand that.

Edited by Rtnldave

2 hours ago, D82 said:

I think they wait on taking a LB high. Not saying the neglect the position if someone of significant value is there, but I think they're going to want to give Cox a shot. 

They definitely have a plan for Cox, but even if he’s 100% of what you hope, there is still a big need to add an additional quality linebacker for 2022.

But I think 2nd round is a real sweet spot for run and hit LBs. Who is the 2022 Nick Bolton? Give me that guy over a 1st rounder.

• Like 1