•• 2022 Draft Prospects ••

WizardHawk

5 minutes ago, chumpy said:

If we don't improve our OL, this team will suffer greatly.  I'm never a fan of reaching (aka...Shante Carver), but if it's close. i'd hedge with an OL.  Like I said prior, if a talented stud(aka...CeeDee Lamb) falls to us, you'd be stupid not to jump on it.  My point is, the OL NEEDS to be addressed!

I think we’re in the territory of there being a very real chance of cutting ties with Tyron. He simply can’t stay healthy, will turn 32 next yr and a post 6/1 cut nearly takes Dallas out of the red cap wise for ‘22.
Maybe Steele can hold down the fort, but the potential is definitely there for a glaring hole on left side of OL. 

44 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I think we’re in the territory of there being a very real chance of cutting ties with Tyron. He simply can’t stay healthy, will turn 32 next yr and a post 6/1 cut nearly takes Dallas out of the red cap wise for ‘22.
Maybe Steele can hold down the fort, but the potential is definitely there for a glaring hole on left side of OL. 

It is very possible we are trying to replace our starting LG. So if we get someone who can be the Future at LT and play LG for a bit - great. If not LT will likely be a secondary need to LG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Tyron Smith was the 2nd highest rated OT by PFF for 2021, but the 22nd highest paid.

I certainly get that playing the injury shuffle game is frustrating. But if Tyron still wants to play football, I see zero reason to paint ourselves into a corner on this one. Even when he misses time with injury, he is easily pulling his salary weight. And replacing him is going to be far easier said than done at the bottom of round 1.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

It is very possible we are trying to replace our starting LG. So if we get someone who can be the Future at LT and play LG for a bit - great. If not LT will likely be a secondary need to LG.

I am 100% on board with drafting OL early. But I’m also not forcing it. If they have to, they can role out next season with Tyron, McGovern, Biadasz, Martin, and La’El (with Steele as the swing tackle), and that’s a league average OL at worst.

Give me someone who can be a real stud in the long run, and I’m in. But we don’t need to add jags to the OL. 

17 hours ago, chumpy said:

If we don't improve our OL, this team will suffer greatly.  I'm never a fan of reaching (aka...Shante Carver), but if it's close. i'd hedge with an OL.  Like I said prior, if a talented stud(aka...CeeDee Lamb) falls to us, you'd be stupid not to jump on it.  My point is, the OL NEEDS to be addressed!

I fully agree that o-line should be addressed. If you know anything about me, then you know that I’ll never turn down o-line or d-line. Hell, I’ve said this statement for many, many years:

Offensive line. Defensive line. Early. Often. Annually.

But, you never force a selection to fill a need.

That said, if the value between two players is relatively equal at our spot and one happens to be o-line, then I’d go with the need rather than something else. But in general, I never believe in drafting for need because it rarely (if ever) works out.

Edited by plan9misfit

On 1/12/2022 at 4:14 PM, plan9misfit said:

I fully agree that o-line should be addressed. If you know anything about me, then you know that I’ll never turn down o-line or d-line. Hell, I’ve said this statement for many, many years:

Offensive line. Defensive line. Early. Often. Annually.

But, you never force a selection to fill a need.

That said, if the value between two players is relatively equal at our spot and one happens to be o-line, then I’d go with the need rather than something else. But in general, I never believe in drafting for need because it rarely (if ever) works out.

That's what I was trying to say.  OL imo is the number 1 priority.  however, if a stud falls to the boys, i'm ok with selecting them.  I also agree if it's close between several guys, side with the OL.

I'm NEVER a fan of overreaching like the Boys did with Shante Carver.

• Like 1

My initial impression of Devin Lloyd is that he’s a really good linebacker, but not massively better than the 2nd rounders of recent past. And not the versatile alien like Nakobe Dean. I watched him because there seems to be an early consensus that Dean/Lloyd would be roughly equivalent fits for Dallas. I don’t see it yet. Dean by a mile, for me.

If you pick Lloyd in the late-20s, I wouldn’t be thrilled, but not too angry, either. If he winds up falling like JOK or Nick Bolton? Run it to the podium.