2021 Week One GDT Steelers at Bills

Steeler Hitman

We will need to win the turnover battle and the defense will need to score at least once for us to have a chance in this game. Buffalo is going to be ridiculously good this year.  The only thing that has me mildly optimistic is their d-line/pass rush is nothing special. Hopefully our o-line can hold up and Najee can have a big game.

4 hours ago, August4th said:

we're gonna have 5 rookies on offense alone get snaps this Sunday. Pat, Harris, Green, Moore and Harvin. I hope the pressure won't be too much. I'm expecting that bills crowd to be rowdy

If you add in the free agents brought in, Ben's paycut, and locking up watt this may be Colberts best offseason. 

Edited by Big Snack

Oh yeah, the game…

I’m usually pretty optimistic about anything to do with us winning games. I think we can win the super bowl until we are actually eliminated. But I don’t see this being much of a game. I’m really just looking for flashes.

Gonna take about a month, if not longer to really gel. 4 starting rookies on offense, and all with responsibilities in keeping Ben upright one way or another. I see the Bills just sending house calls all day long and getting creative to test us up front. I expect it to be ugly and for them to pull away late.

I would just like to see it look like our 4 rookies and other young players really belong. That’s about it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

The only thing that has me mildly optimistic is their d-line/pass rush is nothing special. Hopefully our o-line can hold up and Najee can have a big game.

I really hope that you are correct, but I see that as being an area that their defense has improved.  They don't have killer stats or big stars for say, but they are a physical tough bunch that has matched up well the last two games versus our OL.

They look better on paper to me than before. That starts with getting Star Lotulelei back. He is a load in the run game. Then they have an up and coming star in Ed Oliver who seems like he may be able to take his game to another level. Harrison Phillips is scrappy and gutsy. Vernon Butler is big and hard to move and that's just at DT.

Toss in the DE's Jerry Hughes, Mario Addison, AJ Epenesa, Greg Rousseau, Boogie Basham. That is some toughness inside and some size/speed/quickness outside.  I am not as concerned with the pass rushers as I am the physical match-ups inside in the running game and speed to pursue or cut off the edge in the run game. Their DL's dominated our OL and all but shut down the rushing attack the past two games if I recall. They seem to be even deeper along the DL in 2021. 

We have to be able to run and they seem like they may be able to affect that. Maybe it is different with Dotson and Turner being more physical type of OG's. I am concerned with our C being a rookie against this bunch. He is a fighter, but I can see him winning some and losing some with that group. They seem to have depth to rotate and keep those big guys fresh. 

In 2016 Leveon Bell ran wild on the Bills, but most forget that they shut down Big Ben that game as well. I think he threw 3 INT's and had 0 TD's. It was a while ago, but Ben struggled his last two games against the Bills (missed 2019) and there was no rushing attack to bail the offense out like in 2016 last year. 

4 hours ago, DR43 said:

Do you ever remember a year where the league was so mediocre?  Beyond the top six teams (Cle, GB, 49ers, TB, KC, Buffalo) would any team at this point look to be anything more than mediocre? 

Do the Browns with Baker at QB and 49ers with Jimmy G/rookie QB (who I like a lot) really belong in this discussion? Sure the Browns look good on paper but with Baker at QB until he proves otherwise makes the Browns a very beatable team.

Idk I feel like this year is KC vs BUF in the East and Tampa in the west. Feels more like the NBA the past decade where you know it’s coming down to 1-3 teams than any other year.

• Like 1

The Steelers couldn’t run the football, that’s why they were predictable. The offense line was terrible, they need to get better at running the football. They never committed to running the football. They drafted Najee in the first, they are going to run the football. Ben is too old and his arm is dead, they need to run the football. Rooney put his foot down, they are going to run the football

Anyone wanna take a bet about the first play being a PA go route?

Im guessing Tomlin doesn’t forget their big play two years ago after Renegade that took the wind out of the stadium. Wanna take the wind out of a Buffalo crowed that is going be super hype? Welp…..

On 9/10/2021 at 6:23 PM, DR43 said:

Do you ever remember a year where the league was so mediocre?  Beyond the top six teams (Cle, GB, 49ers, TB, KC, Buffalo) would any team at this point look to be anything more than mediocre? 

As stated, Cleveland has alot to prove yet.    They have the talent, and they certainly look poised to be a great team....but lets slow down in putting them among the top teams just yet.   I wont be shocked if it happens....I also wont be shocked if they missed the playoffs.    

49ers.....still questions around their QB play.    I expect them to be good, but a top team?     We will see.

Honestly, KC, Buffalo and Tampa Bay are the only elite teams, and the only teams I dont think we could beat in the playoffs.