The Matrix Resurrections (2021) - Trailer debuts

D82

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I need to rewatch the series. I thought trinity was dead and why does Neo not remember anything at the start of the clip? 

If memory serves me right, the Neo, Trinity etc, we see in the trilogy are the 6th incarnations of themselves. Trinity and Neo died like 5 previous times or whatever, but this version of Neo was able to save her (I think EDIT: Nope she dead), Neo's fate was ... unclear. My guess is the Neo and Trinity we see in the trailer are the 7th versions of themselves, and must be awoken (presumably) because there is another existential threat to the Matrix itself. hence them starting off not knowing each other, and having no memory of the 6th reboot of the Matrix. Im purely basing this off my surface/wikipedia level lore of trilogy, so maybe this movie takes things in a completely different direction. 

Edited by animaltested

2 hours ago, animaltested said:

If memory serves me right, the Neo, Trinity etc, we see in the trilogy are the 6th incarnations of themselves. Trinity and Neo died like 5 previous times or whatever, but this version of Neo was able to save her (I think EDIT: Nope she dead), Neo's fate was ... unclear. My guess is the Neo and Trinity we see in the trailer are the 7th versions of themselves, and must be awoken (presumably) because there is another existential threat to the Matrix itself. hence them starting off not knowing each other, and having no memory of the 6th reboot of the Matrix. Im purely basing this off my surface/wikipedia level lore of trilogy, so maybe this movie takes things in a completely different direction. 

Pretty sure "the one" is the only person that gets reincarnated. Not sure there was ever anything that said or hinted at Trinity being some significant figure who kept coming back.

My guess is this Trinity is some kind of glitch, the machines using her likeness for a program, or Neo projecting her.

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Pretty sure "the one" is the only person that gets reincarnated. Not sure there was ever anything that said or hinted at Trinity being some significant figure who kept coming back.

My guess is this Trinity is some kind of glitch, the machines using her likeness for a program, or Neo projecting her.

I thought (It has been a while) one of the issues for previous versions of Neo was he never could save Trinity (at the end of Reloaded) but this time he was able to. I took that as some version of Trinity always manifests along side Neo. 

But yeah, Im with ya on that guess. 

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

I thought (It has been a while) one of the issues for previous versions of Neo was he never could save Trinity (at the end of Reloaded) but this time he was able to. I took that as some version of Trinity always manifests along side Neo. 

But yeah, Im with ya on that guess. 

I'm with you and it's been a few years since I've watched, but I thought the Architect just simply provided a choice of restarting the Matrix with like 20 people and being reinserted into it or continuing to try and fight the machines but inevitably lose and cause the extinction of the entire human race. All the other versions of "the one" chose to restart. It's just Neo seeing Trinity about to die that causes him to choose to continue the current fight.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm with you and it's been a few years since I've watched, but I thought the Architect just simply provided a choice of restarting the Matrix with like 20 people and being reinserted into it or continuing to try and fight the machines but inevitably lose and cause the extinction of the entire human race. All the other versions of "the one" chose to restart. It's just Neo seeing Trinity about to die that causes him to choose to continue the current fight.

Ah, guess I miss remember haha. That whole section was quite the bridge to cross for my stupid teenage brain.

54 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I really need to rewatch to better understand. So all those Neo's in the matrix that keeps getting restarted are all the same "human body" neo right? So what? He has restarted it multiple times in his lifetime? 

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I really need to rewatch to better understand. So all those Neo's in the matrix that keeps getting restarted are all the same "human body" neo right? So what? He has restarted it multiple times in his lifetime? 

Same. I haven't watched it and paid full attention since the theaters probably. I don't remember the timeline being explained all that well regarding the different versions of the Matrix, but I was under the impression it's a different body each time that the coding of "the one" randomly shows up in and I just assumed this was over multiple generations.

11 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I need to rewatch the series. I thought trinity was dead and why does Neo not remember anything at the start of the clip? 

It’s established in further canon that the machines can keep people alive or duplicate their brains. There is a shot of what looks like real trinity all tethered to a machine.

Assume it’s the same with Neo, they sedate him to push off this happening again. Perhaps Trinity is being used to help control him?!? Not sure.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm just gonna say it since no one else will.

It looks exactly like The Force Awakens in that it seems like nothing more than the original story mixed with some fanfare and bringing back old characters. "Oh look Morpheus, oh look Trinity, oh look Neo, oh look the rabbit, oh look agents". I hope there's something original here because the original trilogy is my favorite trilogy ever outside of LOTR, so I want to be hopeful here.

It’s fair, I’m glad Lana is back to do it. 
It’s not JJ Abrams huffing nostalgia and having no clue what to do with it. Doesn’t mean it’ll be good, but she/they are pretty creative…have more faith they’ll be able  come up with a reason to revisit. 

Though if there is a property that storywise this would make sense, it’s The Matrix.

• Like 1

I thought was a really impressive trailer. Watched a few times already, and will probably do so again. I'm not the biggest Matrix dude, but I enjoyed the first film a lot compared to the others, and I'd still like to see if Lana Wachowski can further the narrative in satisfying manner that doesn't end up disappointing both fans and casuals viewers alike. I was excited that this takes place in San Francisco :) 

I also wish Laurence Fishburne was in this movie. Would be cool if he is, and they were able to orchestrate this great whisper campaign. That's the only thing about this trailer that seems like a bummer. At least Reeves and Moss look great for their ages. I think they both live a healthy lifestyle, and it shows. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

I want to be hopeful, but as someone said, this may be a Force Awakens situation. It looks like they are taking many things from Matrix I (which certainly isn't a bad thing... but if it's a total remake vibe like Force Awakens was, we are in for a unpleasant time).

Sure, like Force Awakens, we will have some "fun" while watching and realize minutes or hours later that it was nothing but a rip off and remake of the original (Force Awakens was a total 100% copy/paste of a New Hope, they really didn't even try to hide it). 

Still excited, for sure. It is The Matrix afterall. And Keanu Reeves >>>>

Edited by BayRaider

The official synopsis makes it seem like this movie will ignore the sequels.

The Matrix Resurrections" is a continuation of the story established in the first MATRIX film. It reunites Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss as cinematic icons Neo & Trinity in an expansion of their story that ventures back into the Matrix and even deeper down the rabbit hole. A mind-bending new adventure with action and epic scale, it's set in a familiar yet even more provocative world where reality is more subjective than ever and all that's required to see the truth is to free your mind.

20 years after the first film, the franchise that helped define pop culture at the turn of the century is back for a continuation and extension of the original movie. The Matrix remains in the zeitgeist as a film that has changed the way we look at cinema and reality itself. With its game changing action and visual effects, The Matrix helped pave the way for films to follow.

The reason I find it hard to believe that this will be a Force Awakens scenario is because Lana and her sister haven't created any media when they didn't have anything new to say. Not to say everything they've done has been on The Matrix level, a lot of it is really quite bad, but it was always intentional. Just recreating the original Matrix would go against everything she/they've shown so far.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The reason I find it hard to believe that this will be a Force Awakens scenario is because Lana and her sister haven't created any media when they didn't have anything new to say. Not to say everything they've done has been on The Matrix level, a lot of it is really quite bad, but it was always intentional. Just recreating the original Matrix would go against everything she/they've shown so far.

Yeah, they've cared about this universe enough to be involved in a lot of the offshoot stuff too.

Like I said before, the property is fused on a pretty base level with pattern, cycles, repeated actions.
To just do that again because "matrix stuff cool" really doesn't seem like them. 
This seems very intentional to what The Matrix is.
It'd be one thing if Lana wasn't directing it and we got a JJ type who just wanted to mimic what came before.
Trust her enough to not do that. I kinda don't want the answers until I see it, looks good...feels better than expected to be back in the universe.