The Matrix Resurrections (2021) - Trailer debuts

D82

I would be very interested in this if it wasn’t for the two Matrix sequels. The story AND style of the sequels ruined it for me.

The Matrix is an all-time great movie. Top 100. Its grittiness mixed with those visuals and that story and action sequences, GROUNDED action sequences for the world, was and is amazing.

Then they went all anime characters, stylization, and got absurd in their scale and scope and story.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I would be very interested in this if it wasn’t for the two Matrix sequels. The story AND style of the sequels ruined it for me

I don't disagree, but the first was such an experience I am willing to scrub the last two from my memory...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So far, reviews seem generally positive. Some bad reviews, which was expected - but the general theme is that it's a throwback to the original with some new and relevant themes, solid action and visuals and an open ended story that leaves the door open for a potential universe.

Spoiler

- Lot of praise for Jessica Henwick as Bugs and Jonathan Groff as Smith.

- The chemistry between Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne-Moss carries over, and carries a lot of the movie. Those two are pretty dynamic together.

As someone who didn't hate the last two movies (I didn't like em much, but can watch em) this is really promising early on.

Keanu Reeves Neo GIF by The Matrix

• Like 1

So... I think I enjoyed it, but it's definitely worth a rewatch. Potential spoilers:

Spoiler

Worth the rewatch if only because there were so many subtle callbacks during the first part of the movie, and I was actually surprised with how much tie-in the trilogy had on this one, though it makes sense. I wasn't exactly thrilled about another Matrix as I really enjoyed the Trilogy growing up (I know, I know about the second and third, I was a kid / teen, sue me), but this movie and storyline... I thought it worked.

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

So... I think I enjoyed it, but it's definitely worth a rewatch. Potential spoilers:

Hide contents

Worth the rewatch if only because there were so many subtle callbacks during the first part of the movie, and I was actually surprised with how much tie-in the trilogy had on this one, though it makes sense. I wasn't exactly thrilled about another Matrix as I really enjoyed the Trilogy growing up (I know, I know about the second and third, I was a kid / teen, sue me), but this movie and storyline... I thought it worked.

I think it worked fine, but its not reinvigorate the franchise good IMO

The ending scene was... gratuitous

• Like 2

I... liked it. Didn't love it, there were some cheesy/hokey concepts at times, but I liked it overall.

Spoiler

- Jessica Henwick as Bugs was great; She was Captain first and foremost, but she was also just in awe of Neo, Trinity and Morpheus. If she's the horse they back for the next run of movies/TV shows, the franchise could start an upward trend.

- I understand the idea behind Morpheus and the idea of creating a program that combined Morpheus and Smith, and I liked the entire premise of humans and machines allies (more on that). I liked Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, too. But, just some of the dialogue and behaviors? C'mon now, Morpheus ain't drinking no damn martinis.

- Seq giving dabs to that little machine? What is this, a Michael Bay movie? Get that out of here...

- The idea of cooperation between humans and machines, and a war waged between machines? Yes, yes please. This could be the tentpole for the Matrix universe - programs unable to reach consensus on life after Neo v Smith, and the chaos that would fall out, with an emerging human race coming out of Zion caught in the crossfire... starring Laurence Fishburn as Morpheus. I'd pay money for that one.

- Neil Patrick Harris as a bad guy is my spirit animal. Perhaps my favorite performance overall, definitely better than the Architect. 

- Jonathan Groff as the resurrected Smith is a very, very close second. 

- Curious on who the suits are. Sure we'll find out soon enough.

- More movies are coming. I'll be here, waiting.

• Like 2

There’s a solid sequel in here somewhere but it was too meta, too self-aware, too metaphorical and too allegorical for its own good.

Spoiler

Morpheus didn’t work at all and I wish they had just created a different character altogether.  I did like the programs’ ability to navigate the physical world though.  That was cool  

Halfway through...and it's awful.

Spoiler

The constant flashbacks to the previous movie were not necessary. The whole attempt at being meta and self-aware was a bad choice. It didn't feel like a "Matrix" movie at all.