Crazy Trade Idea Between The Lions and Dolphins

Just Want A Title

On 9/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, Just Want A Title said:

This probably sounds crazy given that it is week 1.  However, if you were the Lions would you consider trading Taylor Decker to the Dolphins for some sort of package of draft picks?  Would you consider making a trade involving Xavien Howard?  They have a ton of draft picks to play with and Xavien Howard isn't that happy there.  The Dolphins are closer to a Win-Now mode than they have been in a while.  Are there legitimate trade scenarios worth exploring? Thoughts?

I think Howard is awesome, having said that no.  Howard has knee issues and is a bit older.  He’’s not a player I want to build around.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Xavien Howard may not be the right player but the Dolphins might be willing to put together a ridiculous package of picks.  The more I watch Tua Tagovaiola get killed by his O-Line, the greater the chance something like this could happen.  He got blasted today.

There's still 24 million in dead cap no matter who or what the Dolphins are wanting to trade. 

• Like 2

The more I think about trading Decker the less it has to do with Sewell playing great at LT. (Which he did).

It's going to boil down to Matt Nelson imo, if he ends up being a really good starting RT. If he emerges as a very good players then I think it's almost a given to move Decker, cause of money/age. Lions could sign Nelson much cheaper and allocate some dollars in other areas by moving Decker.(Plus the draft capital).

* I'm not even for moving Decker, it's really hard to find two top notch tackles... but if Nelson emerges it's just kind of the right thing to do if you're the Lions.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

The more I think about trading Decker the less it has to do with Sewell playing great at LT. (Which he did).

It's going to boil down to Matt Nelson imo, if he ends up being a really good starting RT. If he emerges as a very good players then I think it's almost a given to move Decker, cause of money/age. Lions could sign Nelson much cheaper and allocate some dollars in other areas by moving Decker.(Plus the draft capital).

* I'm not even for moving Decker, it's really hard to find two top notch tackles... but if Nelson emerges it's just kind of the right thing to do if you're the Lions.

What do you think Decker would return in the trade market?

22 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

There's still 24 million in dead cap no matter who or what the Dolphins are wanting to trade. 

I keep reading this $24-million cap hit.  He has $24 millioin in guaranteed money.  According to the link below.  This might actually work.  Select Post June 1st trade.

https://overthecap.com/player/taylor-decker/4729/

10 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I keep reading this $24-million cap hit.  He has $24 millioin in guaranteed money.  According to the link below.  This might actually work.  Select Post June 1st trade.

https://overthecap.com/player/taylor-decker/4729/

Good catch, I was just looking at dead money but with a post June 1 trade it shows very little dead money. 

That being said, I still would like the O Line to be a strength, so if he can transition to RT at all, I would rather keep than trade him. Having a pair of bookend tackles for 21-25M a year combined for the next 4 years sounds pretty good to me. 

After looking deeper into that, I am hoping we can trade Trey Flowers at this point.  Maybe he can go to Miami in a deal for Howard along with something else.  Howard would help lock down CB1 allowing our lesser CBs to cover lesser WRs.  Flowers spent time with Flores in NE so maybe there would be some interest.  

What if we could trade Decker to a team like say the Jags.  Maybe we throw in our 1st the Rams gave us.  With that we have two picks in the top 3-5 picks and we are able to land a combination of two of these three players: Kayvon Thibodeaux, Derek Stingley, Kyle Hamilton.  Do you do it?  I think I would.  

30 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

What if we could trade Decker to a team like say the Jags.  Maybe we throw in our 1st the Rams gave us.  With that we have two picks in the top 3-5 picks and we are able to land a combination of two of these three players: Kayvon Thibodeaux, Derek Stingley, Kyle Hamilton.  Do you do it?  I think I would.  

I don't feel like creating a hole plus trading up if a good idea for a team full of holes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I don't feel like creating a hole plus trading up if a good idea for a team full of holes.

Fair enough but an elite play maker on Defense I think is harder to find than a good (and honestly that is all would really need) RT.  Having said that I love having two elite Tackles and the idea of an elite O-line so i'm good.  However if Sewell is not good on the right but is as good if not better than Decker on the left I think we'd have to consider moving one.

41 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

Fair enough but an elite play maker on Defense I think is harder to find than a good (and honestly that is all would really need) RT.  Having said that I love having two elite Tackles and the idea of an elite O-line so i'm good.  However if Sewell is not good on the right but is as good if not better than Decker on the left I think we'd have to consider moving one.

Decker has the chance to play on the right side too.  And could be better on that side.  If not and both thrive as LTs, than yes it would make sense to move one.  But only if that happens would I consider trading him considering he likely will not pull more than a mid round pick. 

No chance we trade him and the Rams 1st to get into the top 5 again.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

What do you think Decker would return in the trade market?

You gotta get 1st round plus value. Look what Laremey Tunsil brought... and he had a bong mask on. It's really not outrageous to ask for that considering Decker is signed and relatively young. Still 10 plus years for a playing career. 

Bengals are cheap but I'm sure they'd love him right now. All these teams would be in the mix imo with offers, Seahawks, Panthers, Jaguars, (Cough) Rams (Cough), Steelers.

2 hours ago, Millenhater said:

I just don't see the Jags pulling that kind of a move. A team that needs help and is somewhere in the Rams category COULD consider it but I really can't see us getting multiple top 10 picks (without trade up and/or a Rams total meltdown). 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I just don't see the Jags pulling that kind of a move. A team that needs help and is somewhere in the Rams category COULD consider it but I really can't see us getting multiple top 10 picks (without trade up and/or a Rams total meltdown). 

Yeah, I think a trade with a team like the Bengals/Jags centers around this years 2nd round pick and other mid round picks now or in the future. I don't think either of those organizations are in the spot to let a top 10 pick go away.