Urban Meyer rumors thread

.Buzz

1 minute ago, JiffyJag said:

Also not sure if it was already posted, but Breer also seems to think that Urban bailing is highly unlikely for largely the reasons we’ve all already given in this thread. 

I mean all of the “bailing” came from Lombardi and then Wigg mentioning someone told him that. Then it became a wildfire of people jumping on that without actually hearing anything. 

So it seems like a pretty BS rumor based on our early struggles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I mean all of the “bailing” came from Lombardi and then Wigg mentioning someone told him that. Then it became a wildfire of people jumping on that without actually hearing anything. 

Also worth noting that Wigg's entire claim is that someone called him Petrino before the game even happened, and then "told you" after people like Schwartz made jokes about the possibility of Urban going for the open USC job, and that he was waiting to see if it had legs. He's also now claiming that his sources told him Bienamy and Franklin are the front runners for the job, and for his current claim to be true about when he was told it, they had to have told him during the time he was spreading the fear about Urban leaving.

Seems sus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Also worth noting that Wigg's entire claim is that someone called him Petrino before the game even happened, and then "told you" after people like Schwartz made jokes about the possibility of Urban going for the open USC job, and that he was waiting to see if it had legs. He's also now claiming that his sources told him Bienamy and Franklin are the front runners for the job, and for his current claim to be true about when he was told it, they had to have told him during the time he was spreading the fear about Urban leaving.

Seems sus.

Does seem like Wigg legitimately has some good inside info sometimes but yeah, this one I think he went with too early. 

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

hey now don't absolve JLC since he started all this nonsense

16 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

hey now don't absolve JLC since he started all this nonsense

Pretty sure his article was all about people inside the building being annoyed how Urban was getting too hands on/critical of the coaches, no?

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Pretty sure his article was all about people inside the building being annoyed how Urban was getting too hands on/critical of the coaches, no?

Yeah. That and Pete‘s story about the water.

So far, really what we have is that he is giving players water, and he yelled at [presumably Bevell] for running the most disgustingly vanilla offense in preseason. One that was so bad that people in here were calling for Bevell’s head… again over a preseason game. So yeah. If there isn’t a disconnect and some issues, with what’s being brought up, I don’t see him in the wrong or it being something that is guaranteed to fester. 

On 9/16/2021 at 9:47 AM, pwny said:

Yeah, if you subscribe to the idea that he left Florida and Ohio State in part because of the crap going on, you have to attribute that to him making moves that protect his legacy. And nothing would tarnish his legacy more than him having jumped to the pros to coach the best prospect of a generation, just to quit after a season or so and prove that even with the largest advantage afforded to any first year coach to build a program upon, he still didn't have what it took.

I think that, understanding this "legacy protection" appears to be the case...more likely than Urban "quitting" and storming out with his tail between his legs after a year or two of losing and failing...We'd be likely to see Urban shuffled into some sort of alternative role, with other guys coming in to actually do the coaching.  I could see Urban getting something a little bit along the lines of the "Coughlin treatment", being promoted from HC to "Nebulous Football Program Czar".  Picking and choosing his spots to get involved.  Leaning on someone else with more experience/track record at the NFL level for the "day-to-day" operations and sideline work.  While making himself more of a figurehead to take credit for any program improvement we see.

• 2 weeks later...