Boys in our vacay home, @Chargers - Week 2 GDT

Matts4313

1 hour ago, D82 said:

I will just say one thing.  YES Pollard has more speed.  But put me on record as saying if Pollard is our every day back then you will see Pollard's 1 yard or less carries SKY ROCKET.  His YPC will go down  dramatically and be less then what we saw from ZEKE yesterday.  AND his 20 yard carries will also almost disappear.  IMO most of Pollard's big plays yesterday happen because SD did not put Pollard to the top of the "focus" list when he was in the game over Elliot who always is on the top of the "focus" list. 

This is not saying Elliot is a back who I would sign or is earning his current salary.  But Elliot is right now still a better every day back then Pollard. 

2 minutes ago, quiller said:

But put me on record as saying if Pollard is our every day back then you will see Pollard's 1 yard or less carries SKY ROCKET.  His YPC will go down  dramatically and be less then what we saw from ZEKE yesterday.

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, quiller said:

AND his 20 yard carries will also almost disappear.

Strong disagree. Most starting RBs produce big runs at a larger clip than Zeke. So while they may shrink, there is nothing to say they will go away.

11 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

If he’s finally developed and proven himself to be a reliable starter, then you pay him. Continuity on the offensive line is critical. 

I like C-Will but I feel like you just slide in McGovern at LG next year and it’s at least a lateral move if not a marginal upgrade.

Not sure if you’ve played with OTC’s cap calculator lately but it’s not looking pretty for Dallas next year. $20M+ in the hole currently with only a few moves available to get to sea level and about 7 or 8 starters hitting the market.

18 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I like C-Will but I feel like you just slide in McGovern at LG next year and it’s at least a lateral move if not a marginal upgrade.

Not sure if you’ve played with OTC’s cap calculator lately but it’s not looking pretty for Dallas next year. $20M+ in the hole currently with only a few moves available to get to sea level and about 7 or 8 starters hitting the market.

The salary cap is a myth at this point because of how easy it is to manipulate. There’s always opportunity to move money around. Just look at New Orleans and Philly, who were like $50+ million over the cap heading into this season. I wouldn’t use the cap as a defining factor to determine whether Williams stays. His performance should be what decides his future.

26 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Williams was the 16th best (PFF) starter at OG last year out of the, what, ~75-100 guys who qualified? Saying McGovern would be an upgrade seems like a huge stretch. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

The salary cap is a myth at this point because of how easy it is to manipulate. There’s always opportunity to move money around. Just look at New Orleans and Philly, who were like $50+ million over the cap heading into this season. I wouldn’t use the cap as a defining factor to determine whether Williams stays. His performance should be what decides his future.

I hear what you’re saying, and yeah they might just say **** it and tack some void years onto Cooper and DLaw. I still think Williams’ market will be too rich for our front office’s blood though. If he’s getting say $11M/yr type offers to be the starting LG for someone desperate, I think they’re gonna balk and ultimately put that money towards 2 or 3 of Gregory, Neal, LVE, Schultz, Kazee etc

Edited by matt79511

57 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Williams was the 16th best (PFF) starter at OG last year out of the, what, ~75-100 guys who qualified? Saying McGovern would be an upgrade seems like a huge stretch. 

Which was a pretty sizable jump from the first two years no? I may be going too far to suggest there’s no downside to making the switch next year but I definitely think McGovern has the higher ceiling. C-Will’s not bad by any means but I don’t know how anyone can watch him and come away thinking he’s a difference maker- he’s textbook decent, normally pretty good, still struggles with hellish matchups like the Rams and Bucs. I have nothing against him, I just don’t think we’ll re-sign him. But we’ll see.