If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

The biggest mistake in promoting Klint was that Zimmer didn’t bring in an experienced coach to help “mentor” him, like Zimmer did with Stefanski when he hired Gary Kubiak. 

Yes, Dennison was supposed to be that veteran coach/mentor, but his vaccination status and the issues that it was going to cause were well known by Zimmer long before training camp. He failed to make a corresponding move, and it has come back to bite him. 

49 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

1. Kellen Moore
2. Doug Pederson
3. Dennis Allen
4. Brian Daboll
5. Chris Horton
6. Todd Bowles
7. Todd Downing
8. Nathaniel Hackett
9. Byron Leftwich
10. Ken Dorsey

So far, that would be my list of head coaching candidates I’d hand over to Wilf. 

After having defensive minded head coaches the last two tries, I’d not have a single one on my list. Changing the offense every other year just doesn’t work if the head coach doesn’t take control of both sides of the ball. 

Pederson is my top choice. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

What about Joe Brady, or did Darnold ruin that too?

After Bridgewater talked about how they never practiced the two minute drill in practice last year, and all of the issues that the offense has been having this year (which go beyond Darnold), there’s a lot of red flags around Joe Brady. 

• Like 1

I would take Shanahan but wouldn't be my 1st choice. Offense keeps the same system, him and Kirk work well together. However, getting him will mean Kirk will stay the QB past 2022 and handicap this team with cap and decision making. Him and Lynch clearly aren't getting along and Lance pick was to save Lynch job not kyle's.   Kyle's 1st year had no talent and 2 years where the team were extremely injury ridden with a backup QB. Outside of miracles ala Keenum/Foles playing most of your games with a backup QB ends in a disaster. 

Edited by dc_vikingfan

On 11/9/2021 at 9:55 AM, SemperFeist said:

1. Kellen Moore
2. Doug Pederson
3. Dennis Allen
4. Brian Daboll
5. Chris Horton
6. Todd Bowles
7. Todd Downing
8. Nathaniel Hackett
9. Byron Leftwich
10. Ken Dorsey

So far, that would be my list of head coaching candidates I’d hand over to Wilf. 

I think I would add Josh McDaniels to the list. I don’t think you’d be able to lure him out of NE, and he’d likely want full control (like Belichick), which I wouldn’t be willing to give. But what he’s done over the years with NE’s offense, and what he’s doing with Mac Jones this year, he’s absolutely worth inquiring about. 

Who is this year's Sean McVay -- the young, up-and-coming coach who may get an NFL head job sooner than later?

This is the fifth year I've asked the question in this space. And in the previous four cycles, over half of all head-coaching hires (14 of 27) came from that year's edition of this list, which focuses on a specific demographic: under age 45 and seeking their first NFL head-coaching opportunity.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nathaniel-hackett-byron-leftwich-patrick-graham-among-young-nfl-coaches-to-watch

Hackett would be an interesting option. I’m usually leery of candidates who are bolstered by Hall of Famers, especially QBs. And I can’t say the fact that he doesn’t call plays isn’t a bit concerning. However, calling plays is far from what makes a good head coach.

I may role my eyes at what Aaron Rodgers says outside of the football realm, but when it comes to football, if he speaks you should probably listen. 

I wouldn't mind trying out a head coach with a good offensive system that will have someone else call the plays. There wouldn't be the full benefit of keeping the same play caller and there'd be the risk of hiring a dud as the play caller.  But there is so much going on during the game that maybe it would help if the head coach wasn't worried about calling the next play

Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett, 41: Before the Falcons interviewed Hackett for their head-coaching job last year, Aaron Rodgers reached out to endorse Hackett for the job. That's how popular Hackett is around Lambeau Field. Now in his 20th season in coaching and 13th in the NFL, Hackett is creative, thoughtful, extremely high-energy and a little quirky, in a way that helps him connect with and inspire this generation of players. Matt LaFleur calls the plays, but Hackett presents multiple times a seem -- his Friday "gold zone" meetings are legendary -- and creates tip sheets for players on the game plan every day. If there's one guy who will inject life into a program that's been putting people to sleep, it's Hackett.

The bolded phrase is what catches my attention. So much focus gets put on the Xs and Os, and finding the next “genius”, but what truly separates the good head coaches from the duds is their ability to communicate, connect with, and motivate their players. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1