Week 2: NE Patriots vs NY Jets

Bobby816

Rivalry game and the start of the Wilson vs Jones rivalry as well.

For ya things I’d like to see are…. Bette protection. NEs DL isn’t as talented as CARs. So it’s be nice to see us improve there. We have to establish a run game this week and protect Wilson to give him time to hit WRs. From a play calling perspective… LaFleur has to to better. He never got Wilson in a rhythm early on last week. He has to do that this week. Get him confidence from the 1st series not the second half.

On defense the front 7 has to be better. Especially at LB and the pass rush. LB we’re hurting at right now, so we have some work to do there. Probably have to bring Maye down more often to make tackles rather than cover. As far as the secondary… they IMO held their own last week. And going against not that good of a WR group, if they play like they did last week. We should be ok there. Im more worried about the RBs making catches in the open field on our LBs and Ss.

As I mentioned before, I'm expecting Fant to struggle a little, but not terribly. Pats are never easy, but I like this match up for our offense a little more than I liked the Panthers. Just need Wilson to be able to get things going with the other targets on the field. BB will definitely take away Davis. 

For defense, the secondary did a little better than I thought last week. So I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do this week. I can see the patriots attacking us with the run & their TEs because our front 7 is questionable right now. I have to get Mac Jones credit, he's better than I thought he was going to be early. This is a good test for our defense. 

7 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

As I mentioned before, I'm expecting Fant to struggle a little, but not terribly. Pats are never easy, but I like this match up for our offense a little more than I liked the Panthers. Just need Wilson to be able to get things going with the other targets on the field. BB will definitely take away Davis. 

For defense, the secondary did a little better than I thought last week. So I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do this week. I can see the patriots attacking us with the run & their TEs because our front 7 is questionable right now. I have to get Mac Jones credit, he's better than I thought he was going to be early. This is a good test for our defense. 

We have a very clear advantage from the standpoint of our WRs to their secondary. And it needs to be taken advantage of. Will the OL hold up to allow this is the question. We seemed to be able to put Wilson in better situations last week in the 2nd half. We need start this game that way. Not wait.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

We have a very clear advantage from the standpoint of our WRs to their secondary. And it needs to be taken advantage of. Will the OL hold up to allow this is the question. We seemed to be able to put Wilson in better situations last week in the 2nd half. We need start this game that way. Not wait.

I agree, but BB has a history of taking away young QBs favorite targets. I want us to attack early and spread the ball around. Let the pass open things for the run. 

3 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I agree, but BB has a history of taking away young QBs favorite targets. I want us to attack early and spread the ball around. Let the pass open things for the run. 

Davis is the obvious one to try and take out. But they don’t have Gilmore. So even double teaming him really weakens other areas. And they’re not exactly loaded with talent at CB. So I like our chances of Moore, Cole and Crowder winning their matchups. 

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Davis is the obvious one to try and take out. But they don’t have Gilmore. So even double teaming him really weakens other areas. And they’re not exactly loaded with talent at CB. So I like our chances of Moore, Cole and Crowder winning their matchups. 

With Gilmore out that is a big deal, that is the best news I hear all week. I think they will try to hit us with a lot of quick short passes. And look for Belichick, to use his RB in the passing game. If we can shut that down will have a chance. Our offensive all depends how our O line holes up. If our line fails it will be a long day.

The NE front 7 may not be as good, but our OL had difficulties picking up the blitz.  I saw one play in which they thought the blitz was coming left and adjusted their blocking assignments as such.  The two "blitxers" dropped back into coverage leaving Becton blocking no one.  AVT was blocking two, and McGovern was staring into space at the right side with no one in front of him.  The blitz came from the left wide and, predictably, pressured Zack.  BB will doing a lot of that.  If the QB and OL cant read the D correctly, it will be a long day for Zach.

As for the run game, NE excels taking away the outside run.  Miami had success up the middle, which is our weakest point on the OL.  I do NOT expect the run game to do well for the Jets.

NE likes to play man on the outside WR and zone in the middle.  Zach had better recognize where the LB's and S are before passing.  I would like to see a lot of bunch formations, screens, options, rollouts.  That may help Zach with the pressure and speed up getting the ball out of his hands.  If he tries to sit in the pocket, it wont be pretty.

On D, Saleh placed a poster in Ulbrichs office on Ulbrich's first day.  Don't give up the explosive plays.  I don't think you'll see any S playing in the box.  They will want all the DB's to keep the play in front of them.  It worked OK against Carolina.  Yes, we will get dinked on especially with NE's O, but we may be able to limit TD's and the quick score.

I don’t expect our pass rush to be a factor in this game. Similar to the Panthers, the Pats get the ball out quick. They don’t have the weapons the Panthers have though. So, I expect our defense to play better then last week. But I still expect Mac Jones to play well.

On offense, the Pats will take away Corey Davis. This game is going to come down to our running game and whether or not Zach can see the field well enough to take advantage of BB taking away Corey Davis and disguising Blitz packages. That’ll decide the game.

With our OL still figuring things out, it’s a bad time to play against the Pats.

i think it’ll be a competitive game. 24-23 Pats.

Edited by SDotNova

We are wearing the all white unis, they are nice looking. 

Full WR corps back, going to be a big help to have Crowder and Cole back. Should help Wilson having veteran WRs around.  Watching some videos, Moore was getting wide open at times last week, he was blowing past coverage. He dropped that one 50 yarder, I want to see him showing something this week. 

AVT seemed lost at times last week, but he missed most of camp and didn't play in preseason games. There were some nice plays too, times he threw guys on the ground in the run game and had nice blocking. I want to see him improve along with the entire OL, don't let Wilson get destroyed back there. 

Edited by NYJets4716

IDK why but I am very confident with this matchup.  I think Wilson breaks the BB rookie streak.  I don't see the Pats as a super talented team.  However, I do see their run game going a bit and short passes/dump offs where they keep moving the chains and keep the offense off the field.  Wouldn't be surprised if it's another weird  and low score like against Carolina.