The Mike Vrabel thread (+ coaching staff)

deeluxx3

Thread about Vrabel - praise, complain, vent, etc

Now that the emotions from today have lowered a bit...it is frustrating that we've seemed to be largely unprepared coming into our first two games. Today we were clearly more "game ready" than Arizona, but the growing pains that come from Downing/Bowen are just brutal at times.

That said...wins like today show why he really is a very good NFL HC. The Carroll/Wilson Seahawks have never lost after going into half 15+ up at home...it takes a serious halftime adjustment and 30m of execution to make something like that happen.

Vrabel can hang with the league's best teams and coaches. Those guys don't grow on trees. But his allegiance to his yes men and seemingly being a control freak just make him so, so frustrating because we can never just be CONSISTENT

• Like 1

If we have anyone other than Derrick Henry at RB I think he/Downing look dumb for the commitment to the run on first down. Not sure how much I wanna credit Vrabel for Julio being Julio and Henry being Henry with a very good Tannehill who just needs to hold on to the ball.

Our TEs are really bad and we keep going 3 TE just because we believe in that. 2 TEs is fine, but 3 should be short yardage only, if we ever do that at all.

I think the offense has a ceiling when we get to the playoffs and always will with the way we want to win. We'll need a strong defense to win with our philosophy and how long it takes us to adjust.

If the defense from the second half carries over into the rest of the season, and clears up the big mistakes, maybe I'll change my mind about him.

• Like 1

yeah, i just…don’t know. the team would obviously run through a wall for the guy. but we consistently come out flat, have serious coverage breakdown issues on defense, and take a really stubborn approach to running the ball. all those things get us into a world of trouble and it’s hard not to think the ceiling on this team is lower than championship caliber.

I will let the growing pains finish out with the coordinators, as of now not a fan of those 2 but 2nd half yesterday alleviates some of the worry. As for Vrab I think overall he is a good coach that can win a championship, however he most likely needs to hire coordinators and allow them to do them especially defensively. 

I get frustrated with these coordinators as much as anyone

I guess after a W it makes it easier to say this

I am trying to give both the benefit of the doubt

Bowen has never done this before

Downing hasnt done it in a while

There is going to be growing pains unfortunately

Titans schedule softens up the next 3 weeks if Wentz is out

Maybe the confidence grows and it gives them some confidence going into the 2 Buzzsaw games with Buffalo and KC 

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

It's weird. 
I feel like coaches didn't do well. But then at the same time. They did well.

Defense pretty much shut down Seahawks in the 2nd half. 

Titans kicked @ss in TOP too, so i do give Downing some credit for that

I know Seattle had a few homerun plays and moved down quickly going into the half but the TOP was

Titans 42.33

Seattle 22:42

Seattle was hostile the fans were loud and the Titans didnt take a lot of pre snap penalties

Brewer killed us late on 1 and Reynolds thought he was in the Arena League but the Titans handled it all well for the most part

36 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Titans kicked @ss in TOP too, so i do give Downing some credit for that

I know Seattle had a few homerun plays and moved down quickly going into the half but the TOP was

Titans 42.33

Seattle 22:42

Seattle was hostile the fans were loud and the Titans didnt take a lot of pre snap penalties

Brewer killed us late on 1 and Reynolds thought he was in the Arena League but the Titans handled it all well for the most part

That Reynolds play I saw immediately. Like WTF. I said I hope these terrible refs don't see that. 

Outside of the 3 deep balls their offense really didn't do anything. 
2 TDs off deep ball, blown coverage.
1 short field TD after sack.
1 FG
Then the brain fart TD before the half. 

Just now, KingTitan said:

Players love Vrabel and play hard for him. 
That's a truth. 

I have no facts to back anything im about to say

I think the guy we see on the podium is the guy we see in the locker room for the most part

What i mean is, he called Julio out for the penalty last week and i believe Vrabel when he said the stuff he says on the podium is the stuff hes already said to the guys in the locker room

So i just think there is a big respect factor for Vrabel because he does hold guys accountable and he does tell them man to man

Vrabel just doesnt seem to panic when things are bad and the players follow his lead

My opinion on Vrabel hasn't really changed.  He's a great player coach, but he's not an X's and O's guy, and when he wanders into that territory, things get bad.

As for the coordinators: loved what I saw from the offense, adjusting, and getting better in the second half.  It's how we played last year, since Henry wears defenses down, but they were not afraid to throw the ball.  Offensive line play is still suspect, but until we get a fully healthy Lewan, that's to be expected.  AJ Brown's drop tendency was not good to see.  Were it not for that, our offense would have been dynamite.

On the defensive side, I like a lot of what I'm seeing in the front seven.  We're getting more rotations in, and putting more pressure on the QB.  Since that was the focus of the offseason, it's great to see actual improvement.

I still think they need to completely rethink how they scheme the DBs.  Fulton looks great, but we've got a talent disparity at safety with Hooker out, and treating the two starters like they're interchangeable just makes our back end easy to exploit.  The adjustments made in the second half give me a little more confidence, but I expect this will be a consistent problem going forward.  Hope I'm wrong.

36 minutes ago, Daniel said:

My opinion on Vrabel hasn't really changed.  He's a great player coach, but he's not an X's and O's guy, and when he wanders into that territory, things get bad.

As for the coordinators: loved what I saw from the offense, adjusting, and getting better in the second half.  It's how we played last year, since Henry wears defenses down, but they were not afraid to throw the ball.  Offensive line play is still suspect, but until we get a fully healthy Lewan, that's to be expected.  AJ Brown's drop tendency was not good to see.  Were it not for that, our offense would have been dynamite.

On the defensive side, I like a lot of what I'm seeing in the front seven.  We're getting more rotations in, and putting more pressure on the QB.  Since that was the focus of the offseason, it's great to see actual improvement.

I still think they need to completely rethink how they scheme the DBs.  Fulton looks great, but we've got a talent disparity at safety with Hooker out, and treating the two starters like they're interchangeable just makes our back end easy to exploit.  The adjustments made in the second half give me a little more confidence, but I expect this will be a consistent problem going forward.  Hope I'm wrong.

You are right for the most part.

I think Vrabel is a master motivator and gets the best out of his players majority of the time.  But his scheme knowledge isn't top tier. Which makes his hires that much more important and when they fall short or he just hires his buddies, then we are doomed.

I wouldn't call Harbaugh in Baltimore a great X and O guy but he has good coordinators and knows players.
Same with someone like Pete Carroll.  
The CEO type. 

• Like 2

Idk man, Vrabes ain't perfect I get it. But I want to believe he can be the guy. The locker room fights for him. My glimmer of hope is just maybe the inexperience with coordinators is the problem and maybe with time we can start evolving. We saw some glimpses of that in the second half. I always look for the positive in the weeds. Titan up. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CUDW6_lg8-g/?utm_medium=copy_link

9 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

Idk man, Vrabes ain't perfect I get it. But I want to believe he can be the guy. The locker room fights for him. My glimmer of hope is just maybe the inexperience with coordinators is the problem and maybe with time we can start evolving. We saw some glimpses of that in the second half. I always look for the positive in the weeds. Titan up. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CUDW6_lg8-g/?utm_medium=copy_link

Came in to post this exact thing

Just when I want to hate the guy I just get pulllllllled allllll the wayyyyyy back in

• Like 2