Week 3 GDT: Bears vs Browns

CBears019

6 minutes ago, soulman said:

While watching both Burrows and Lawrence last night I couldn't help but notice just how much more efficiently their entire offense ran.  Both were getting reasonable protection and JAX OL was creating gaps by getting some push.  Both teams RB's averaged over 4 ypc and Burrows threw for over 300 yards.

The only push I see with our OL is guys getting pushed back into the pocket.

JAX is 0-4 and we beat Cincy yet look at their offenses with rookie QBs and one with only 14 NFL starts to his credit.  Now compare that to our offense and tell me that Fields isn't just as talented as Lawrence and Burrows yet Nagy couldn't even come close to putting an offense on the field like either of those.

Do either of those guys have an offense tailored around expecting them to suddenly be good at the things they were bad at in college?

Actually, thinking it through, we shouldn't be debating whose fault it is on the team,  clearly it's yours or mine or both, as I bought some "Soulman" beer for the game last week. It's not great, and clearly the reason we lost. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Do either of those guys have an offense tailored around expecting them to suddenly be good at the things they were bad at in college?

This is why I still blame Nagy almost entirely. Yes fields was "late" on a number of throws, but like with Trubisky the gameplan itself showed a wild disregard for what fields is actually good at, and was literally the exact kind of quick pass gameplan that you'd have written up for Dalton. Suddenly expecting a highly mobile, deep ball qb, who is known specifically for holding the ball longer than most coming out, to morph into a precision, lightning fast read /throw quick game, pocket passer in his very first NFL start is almost comically stupid. 

I'd argue the offensive line and WR groups are being put into similarly stupid positions that basically directly contradict what they're actually good at, though in the case of the OL one could argue there's actually nothing they're good at, at all. 

Fields is a QB that needs to be throwing down the field, like he did at Ohio state, and everything else needs to designed to give him the time he's used to to allow that to happen

The wr need to get downfield routes that utilize their speed, instead of short stopping routes that don't

The offensive line, just need a scheme designed for brain damaged people. They seemingly never know who they're blocking, and have incredibly difficult blocks to try and execute (you see on the tape never lies this week, the DT is lined up inside of the guard, and they're trying to block him with the OT, while the guard runs after the MLB... And it basically let's both the DT and the MLB run free on 5 different plays. Trying to reach block a guy lined up a full body and a half away from you is way too much for Peters /ifedi) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Actually, thinking it through, we shouldn't be debating whose fault it is on the team,  clearly it's yours or mine or both, as I bought some "Soulman" beer for the game last week. It's not great, and clearly the reason we lost. 

I take no responsibility for the egregious and quite possibly illegal use of my "handle" to promote a malted alcoholic beverage.  But uh......was it as nasty as Schlitz used to be?  😂

I'd say two or three things were immediately noticeable.

1) Both teams had functional OL and a running game so play fakes actually worked.

2) Receivers ran routs that actually got them some separation and windows a pass could be thrown into and completed.

3) Neither team was consistently in 2nd or 3rd and long situations while I was watching and overall the play calling was far better if only because it usually worked especially for Cincy.

I felt I was watching two teams who were running professionally built NFL offenses and not the kind of dysfunctional hodge podge of crap we've been used to seeing from Matt Nagy.

Edited by soulman

23 minutes ago, Epyon said:

This is why I still blame Nagy almost entirely. Yes fields was "late" on a number of throws, but like with Trubisky the gameplan itself showed a wild disregard for what fields is actually good at, and was literally the exact kind of quick pass gameplan that you'd have written up for Dalton.

This is why I wanted Fields to start from the beginning.

If you make that decision on draft day, you have plenty of time to design an offense around Fields' talents. Having a "competition" in camp - whether legitimate or not - always signaled to me that the Bears were not serious about creating the optimal situation for Fields.

The Cardinals were so committed to running a familiar offense that they went and hired Kyler Murray's college head coach. The Bears, meanwhile, seem more committed to Nagy than to Fields. All along the goal has been to ease Fields into Nagy's offense, rather than telling Nagy to adapt to Fields' specific talents.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

This is why I wanted Fields to start from the beginning.

If you make that decision on draft day, you have plenty of time to design an offense around Fields' talents. Having a "competition" in camp - whether legitimate or not - always signaled to me that the Bears were not serious about creating the optimal situation for Fields.

The Cardinals were so committed to running a familiar offense that they went and hired Kyler Murray's college head coach. The Bears, meanwhile, seem more committed to Nagy than to Fields. All along the goal has been to ease Fields into Nagy's offense, rather than telling Nagy to adapt to Fields' specific talents.

The Nagy way (not calling it an offense) has proven to not be designed to fit a players talents. In no way should Nagy and Pace have been allowed to return for this season and it is just another wasted season like when Trubisky was drafted for the lame duck Fox year. This team is garbage all the way up and it isn't changing anytime soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

I'd argue the offensive line and WR groups are being put into similarly stupid positions that basically directly contradict what they're actually good at, though in the case of the OL one could argue there's actually nothing they're good at, at all. 

This has been going on for 4 seasons now.  We've played musical chairs with OL personnel and positions, brought in new personnel, asked our smaller 305-315lbs OL to play 20-25lbs heavier going from schemes that required quicker more athletic interior OL to stronger stouter OL using the same personnel.  We've used both inside zone and outside zone schemes and power blocking man on man schemes.  None of if has worked with Nagy calling plays.

We've essentially rebuilt both the TE and WR positions over the past two seasons with the kind of players Nagy has asked for.  Now we have 3 WRs who run 4.2-4.3 40s running 6-10 yards upfield and stopping and TEs who barely see the field.  We're paying one an average of $8 mil per year and he's caught one pass so far this year.  Another has 7 receptions but averages only 7.6 ypc, the best blocking TE isn't being used as a blocker and another whose a very good receiver hasn't even seen the field yet.  But TEs are key in this offense?????

The offense has no identity and never has had one because apparently our offensive wizard HC has no idea what he's doing.  All he seems to know is that it didn't work this week again, he needs to look at films again, and once again he'll fix it which he never does.  This is getting like watching Brady Bunch reruns only instead of Marcia, Marcia, Marcia, it's Matt, Matt, Matt rinse and repeat for another week. Gets kinda boring doesn't it?

How many times do you have watch the Wizard of Oz to know Dorthy's house lands on the Wicked Witch of the East, the Wicked Witch of the West is a real ***** with flying monkey who melts when she gets wet and the ol' Wizard himself is nothing but a con man who arrived by hot air balloon but controls a neat rig that shoots out flames and makes his voice thunderous? Oh, and that in the end good wins out over that evil Witch *****, she's not only merely dead she's really most sincerely dead and......it was all just a dream.  Pass the bong now please.

Matt Nagy is like that ol' Wizard but without the flames, the thunderous voice, or a balloon to get Dorthy home to Kansas or fix his offense.  Let's send him back to Kansas City which of course isn't actually in Kansas at all but close enough for our story to make sense OK. 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 12:09 AM, Epyon said:

Become a big fan of this guys' breakdowns.... this one is every sack play from last week and the cacophony of things that went wrong.... Good lord Peters and Ifedi had a brutal game..... and then some high (low) lights from mustipher and Fields being late repeatedly.

"this guy" 

show some respect for former bear JT O'Sullivan

Edited by HuskieBear
  • Like 1