Week 3 GDT: Bears vs Browns

CBears019

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I have not looked at a single comment yet.  Wanted to give my own opinion without influence having watched game on pass last night.

I will say this is what I thought would happen in first three games of season.  All offseason optimism was going to be crushed versus Rams and Browns with a possible upswing versus Bengals.

Good teams expose bad teams. Bears have some good players, but a bad team.

As for game Nagy exposed himself big time.  If you excuse the horrible game plan of leaving tackles on an island much of time when overmatched you can’t excuse any quick adjustment when it is crazy obvious to anyone.  Where was TE and back help? A HS coach can do that.

Its almost like Nagy was purposely sabotaging the team in that game. It’s weird. I do t think he was, but it looked like it.  If you weren’t  I don’t know how it looks any different than if you were.  For the Andy plan? No I don’t believe that. That is crazy. Right?  But man, the protection plan was biggest joke I have ever seen after it was clear they couldn’t block Garrett one on one.

Youre my long lost brother. I swear it. 

• Like 1

Tried to watch the replay and am livid.  I don't think for a second that Nagy called a bad gameplan to get Dalton back in (HAHAHA ******* SAY THAT OUT LOUD) but if you wanted to do that, it would look just like yesterday.  You look at the knocks on Fields had coming out of college:  holds the ball too long, can process slow, and then you look at the Browns pass rush, and then you decide THAT is how you're going to protect your QB?  

Fields definitely was worse than I thought on that game, lots of missing open guys, not taking his checkdown when things were broken already, but holy cow watching this is nauseating.  

I think they're going to ruin Fields. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Tried to watch the replay and am livid.  I don't think for a second that Nagy called a bad gameplan to get Dalton back in (HAHAHA ******* SAY THAT OUT LOUD) but if you wanted to do that, it would look just like yesterday.  You look at the knocks on Fields had coming out of college:  holds the ball too long, can process slow, and then you look at the Browns pass rush, and then you decide THAT is how you're going to protect your QB?  

Fields definitely was worse than I thought on that game, lots of missing open guys, not taking his checkdown when things were broken already, but holy cow watching this is nauseating.  

I think they're going to ruin Fields. 

I watched it all and it's worse than you remembered.  

Fields made some BAAAD calls and throws,  that gameplan not only didn't have any help blocking, the routes and execution for pass catchers was awful too.  So the QB (who supposedly takes extra time to throw) had no time to throw and no one to throw to.  

David Montgomery is better than I thought. Darnell Mooney puts a lot of effort into blocking. 

I bet they beat the Lions though. 

On 9/24/2021 at 10:34 AM, Nads786 said:

I agree. I think this game will really give us an idea of Nagy's ability to coach the offense. If this team looks disorganized and the plays make no sense, I think it's time for him to go. 

Welp...

• Like 1

Random facts....

--Since 1970, there have been 132 games played when a team sacked the opposing QBs a combined total of 9 times or more in a single game. The Bears now account for 6 of them, which is tied with Buffalo for the 5th most by any team over the same span. A team's win % when allowing 9 or more sacks in a mere 5.7% (8 wins, 122 losses, 2 ties) to nobodies surprise.

Tm # of gms
PHI 17
ATL 9
RAI 9
NYJ 8
BUF 6
CHI 6
DEN 5
GNB 5
NOR 5
RAM 5
ARI 4
CIN 4
DET 4
HOU 4
NYG 4
SFO 4
CLE 3
DAL 3
MIA 3
MIN 3
PIT 3
TAM 3
BAL 2
CAR 2
KAN 2
TEN 2
WAS 2
IND 1
JAX 1
NWE 1
SDG 1
SEA 1

--Fields is the 67th QB to take 9+ sacks in a single game since the merger. Only 4 of those QBs are in the hall of fame (including Big Ben) and 5 if you wanna include Randall Cunningham (which I would). The list of QBs gets pretty ugly after this though.

Sorted by the number of games in which each QB took 9 or sacks in a single.

Player # of Gm
Randall Cunningham 7
Bobby Hoying 2
Dave Wilson 2
Greg Landry 2
Ken O'Brien 2
Marcus Mariota 2
Matt Ryan 2
Phil Simms 2
Steve Ramsey 2
Warren Moon 2
Alex Smith 1
Andrew Walter 1
Archie Manning 1
Ben Roethlisberger 1
Bernie Kosar 1
Bert Jones 1
Blaine Gabbert 1
Bobby Douglass 1
Brad Johnson 1
Cam Newton 1
Chad Henne 1
Chad Hutchinson 1
Chris Chandler 1
Damon Huard 1
Daunte Culpepper 1
Dave Krieg 1
David Carr 1
David Klingler 1
David Norrie 1
David Whitehurst 1
Donovan McNabb 1
Frank Reich 1
Greg McElroy 1
Jacoby Brissett 1
Jake Plummer 1
James Harris 1
Jay Cutler 1
Jeff Blake 1
Jeff George 1
Jim Harbaugh 1
Joe Ferguson 1
Joe Theismann 1
John Beck 1
Jon Kitna 1
Justin Fields 1
Kevin Kolb 1
Luke Falk 1
Lynn Dickey 1
Matthew Stafford 1
Mike Rae 1
Neil Lomax 1
Neil O'Donnell 1
Paul McDonald 1
Randy Johnson 1
Rob Johnson 1
Roman Gabriel 1
Ron Jaworski 1
Ryan Tannehill 1
Steve Bartkowski 1
Steve Beuerlein 1
Steve Fuller 1
Steve Pelluer 1
Steve Young 1
Terrelle Pryor 1
Tony Eason 1
Troy Aikman 1
Wade Wilson 1

On 9/26/2021 at 4:13 PM, topwop1 said:

9 sacks...9!!! 

Pretty sure the Browns were having issues getting to the QB before this game and pretty sure Bears have never ever allowed that many sacks in 1 single game the past 5 years but correct me if I'm wrong.

How does this happen with a mobile QB like Fields? Just unacceptable all around 

Thats because Garrett/Clowney/JOK are all incredibly fast. He cant run away from those guys as they are all athletic freakshows for their positions.

But either way, good game yall. Your defense was a LOT better than I expected. That was the worst Ive seen Nick Chubb and the Browns OL look in a long time.

Dont give up on Fields. He is elite. Hes a stud. You really just need to fix the HC/Playcaller situation. Nagy is giving me serious Adam Gase vibes. I hope the Bears recognize it and fix this ASAP. Eric Beinemy anyone?

Anyways, Fields will be a star--you might just have to wait through your Freddie Kitchens year to eventually get to your Kevin Stefanski. 

All the best--

• Like 2

The difference is Tyrod/Mahomes can run but know when to let the ball go, Mahomes especially. Fields never let the ball go and tried too often to make plays happen with just his legs when he felt pressure.

Mahomes evades the pressure with his legs, then throws it once he resets. Fields tired to evade the pressure and then scramble--thats why he got sacked probably 4-5 more times than he should have.

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Is that why they couldn't get after Mahomes and Tyrod Taylor?

Those OLs probably didn't just give free runs and give zero protection on 90% of their plays.

I have nothing to back that up but assuming coaches aren't incompetent like ours. lol

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats because Garrett/Clowney/JOK are all incredibly fast. He cant run away from those guys as they are all athletic freakshows for their positions.

But either way, good game yall. Your defense was a LOT better than I expected. That was the worst Ive seen Nick Chubb and the Browns OL look in a long time.

Dont give up on Fields. He is elite. Hes a stud. You really just need to fix the HC/Playcaller situation. Nagy is giving me serious Adam Gase vibes. I hope the Bears recognize it and fix this ASAP. Eric Beinemy anyone?

Anyways, Fields will be a star--you might just have to wait through your Freddie Kitchens year to eventually get to your Kevin Stefanski. 

All the best--

Plus they had headstarts and Fields was trying to get out of a pocket from a dead stop. It was a disastrous situation.

Front 7 is good, definitely need a few pieces at CB but we will see what the turnover is going to be like. Hopefully Goldman hasn't checked out and comes back on fire.

Agree. I want Fields or whoever is at QB to struggle so Nagy gets exposed. He's trash. I'd take Gase or Loggains as a playcaller first. Really, Lazor and Flip are better playcallers. Fields will be fine, just no ROTY convos to be had here with Nagy.

Actually a pretty good comparison. I was hoping for Daboll but there is  handful of guys I'd be damn excited to see here. Leftwich, Kellen Moore, Shane Waldron, and Joe Brady are all right there with Daboll for me.

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The difference is Tyrod/Mahomes can run but know when to let the ball go, Mahomes especially. Fields never let the ball go and tried too often to make plays happen with just his legs when he felt pressure.

Mahomes evades the pressure with his legs, then throws it once he resets. Fields tired to evade the pressure and then scramble--thats why he got sacked probably 4-5 more times than he should have.

It's hard for a QB to try to make plays happen when they're under duress in less than 2 seconds on damn near every play.

The point is, this speaks more to how bad the OL played than it does Clevealnd's defense.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Those OLs probably didn't just give free runs and give zero protection on 90% of their plays.

I have nothing to back that up but assuming coaches aren't incompetent like ours. lol

Plus they had headstarts and Fields was trying to get out of a pocket from a dead stop. It was a disastrous situation.

Front 7 is good, definitely need a few pieces at CB but we will see what the turnover is going to be like. Hopefully Goldman hasn't checked out and comes back on fire.

Agree. I want Fields or whoever is at QB to struggle so Nagy gets exposed. He's trash. I'd take Gase or Loggains as a playcaller first. Really, Lazor and Flip are better playcallers. Fields will be fine, just no ROTY convos to be had here with Nagy.

Actually a pretty good comparison. I was hoping for Daboll but there is  handful of guys I'd be damn excited to see here. Leftwich, Kellen Moore, Shane Waldron, and Joe Brady are all right there with Daboll for me.

I havent watched a lot of the Bears since Macks first year traded there when they were on Primetime every week.

That front 7 is great and the Safety play is above average. The CBs could use another young talented piece but I hope they really use all of their FA/Draft resources on reshaping the entire offense from OL to RB to WR depth behind Robinson.

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It's hard for a QB to try to make plays happen when they're under duress in less than 2 seconds on damn near every play.

The point is, this speaks more to how bad the OL played than it does Clevealnd's defense.

Im not saying he wasnt, the OL set him up for absolute failure. Im just pointing out to you why the Browns didnt sack Mahomes more often in week 1 despite getting good pressure.

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

All the best--

Whatever you say 😅

• Like 1