Week 3 overreactions

Apparition

38 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Ben Roethlisberger is done for.

Oh...you wanted overreaction.

The fact they didn’t bring in his replacement over the offseason is still crazy to me. The end of last season the writing was on the wall.  He may not have been washed, but he wasn’t the same dude.  

Maybe they really like Haskins, idk, but it was a rare misstep by an otherwise impeccably run organization.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The fact they didn’t bring in his replacement over the offseason is still crazy to me. The end of last season the writing was on the wall.  He may not have been washed, but he wasn’t the same dude.  

Maybe they really like Haskins, idk, but it was a rare misstep by an otherwise impeccably run organization.

Honestly, it's not crazy.  They've explored moving up and scouting QB's before.  They've heavily scouted Mahomes, Jackson, Fields to name a few.  

I think they don't have a heir apparent in house because they either want a full reset after Ben retires and we will see a massive exodus, or they think it will piss off Ben and he'll do what ARod is doing (which can only end well for us).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Honestly, it's not crazy.  They've explored moving up and scouting QB's before.  They've heavily scouted Mahomes, Jackson, Fields to name a few.  

I think they don't have a heir apparent in house because they either want a full reset after Ben retires and we will see a massive exodus, or they think it will piss off Ben and he'll do what ARod is doing (which can only end well for us).

Yeah they’re clearly gonna reset, but I’m not sure why?  Lots of good defensive talent, plenty of good skill position talent, just need a QB and some help on the OL.

I guess as an outsider I just look at the fact that they never need to reset as the main reason they’re always competitive.  When a dude leaves via FA, they have someone to replace them.  Someone who’s been in the system and is ready to play.

And Ben may definitely have been an arse about it, but good lord, he’s almost 40 and has been declining to some degree for a few years. I just don’t see the point of appeasing him for the sake of a .500 season.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah they’re clearly gonna reset, but I’m not sure why?  Lots of good defensive talent, plenty of good skill position talent, just need a QB and some help on the OL.

I guess as an outsider I just look at the fact that they never need to reset as the main reason they’re always competitive.  When a dude leaves via FA, they have someone to replace them.  Someone who’s been in the system and is ready to play.

And Ben may definitely have been an arse about it, but good lord, he’s almost 40 and has been declining to some degree for a few years. I just don’t see the point of appeasing him for the sake of a .500 season.

I think they're going to go stopgap until they either suck enough to get to a Ben again; or keep trying former first rounders like they have.

I'm with you on the last bit.  Too many fans thought bringing Ben back was the only way to still have a chance, and I argued bringing back Ben was an easy way to guarantee we don't have a chance.  But alas, we'll end up finishing 6-11 to 9-8 range, with another 2 surprise wins like we had over the Bills, Ben will want to come back for one last ride saying something like "I let those guys down and they deserve to get there, and I think I have it in me to do that", and we'll again push cap around to keep Ben and his besties while ignoring the future.

Honestly, Ben had a great prime, and I think it always irked him to not be talked about up there with Brees, Brady, Manning, ARod, and a few others of his "QB generation"; so he things playing all the way until his 40's like Brees, Brady did is a way to gain respect out of longevity of his career.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tk3 said:

Four of the rookie QBs have more interceptions than touchdowns

The only ones who don't are Davis Mills and Trey Lance (only 1 pass attempt)

It's almost like starting QBs before they're ready or even grasped the playbook is a bad idea or something. Guys like Herbert, Baker, etc. are the exception, not the rule.

The Pats probably wish Cam didn't force his way out of town by being a dumbass. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

The Pats probably wish Cam didn't force his way out of town by being a dumbass. 

Cam lost the QB competition in TC to Mac.

Whether that says more about Cam or Mac remains to be seen.

But I will say that, to anyone who's watched the games, Mac isn't the reason the Pats have 2 losses this season.