Week 4 GDT - Bears vs Lions

Sugashane

4 hours ago, soulman said:

Assuming both Jenkins and Borom return 100% healthy I have to wonder if moving either Daniels or Whitehair back to OC may not be a better solution to our issues there.  Even having gained size and supposedly strength as well Mustipher is still having problems handling his role.

Ifedi could be moved in to play RG while either Jenkins or Borom take on RT.  Then it's up to who ever can best handle OC between Daniels and Whitehair the other playing LG.

I was more than a little miffed that Pace insisted Daniels not play center when he was drafted.   That was weird because it was his college position and a position he is ideally suited for.  

I guess idea was (like MT and Fields) Daniels should watch and learn from guard and move to center later.   Well that didn't work out as planned as he got used to guard for a year and degraded at center.   When moved back to center Daniels stunk and had to be moved back as he was killing us with missed blocks.  

He gets these development ideas and won't come off them like they are gospel.   Sometimes you just suffer while a young talented player learns and adapts.   

I am not sure what would happen if you moved Daniels to center again.   Whitehair was never particularly great at center either and line improvement kicked off when he moved to guard.  

I believe if Pace had left Daniels at center from day 1 of draft this wouldn't be an issue and we would have had our center for 8-10 years.   But I can't prove it.

• Like 1

Part of the problems seems to be having two higher drafted interior OL but three spots to fill.  So when Whitehair moved to OC LG or RG are weakened.  I don't know where Daniels is at right now as far as moving back to OC but he played well at LG and theoretically could shift there if Whitehair moves back to OC.  Then Ifedi can move back to RG and Mustipher is odd man out.

Of course all that assumes we bring Ifedi back for another year and want Borom and Jenkins at OT.  I guess Bars would be another option at RG as well.  I'm just brain storming how to keep bolstering the OL based on who we have now.  I suppose there's always a chance Pace could sign more help next spring in FA or end up drafting another true OC.

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

A FB needs mobility.  But I agree using athletic DL and OL in that role is smart.

I would even put Aaron Donald or the like at FB for packages.  Why settle?  Put your best athletes on the field. 

I so want to specify that I mean a lack of mobility like Brandon Spikes, something that makes them a liability in coverage but enough they can still go sideline to sideline. Before he turned into a hell of a 3T Henry Melton was one I loved the idea of going into this role. 

For the upcoming draft I'm looking Big Kat Bryant, Carney from Illinois, Figuroa (spelling?) from USC and Carter or Moon from Florida. I'll likely look who has the most aggressive nature or is the most physical but unproductive as a pass rusher for my mock. 

18 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I so want to specify that I mean a lack of mobility like Brandon Spikes, something that makes them a liability in coverage but enough they can still go sideline to sideline. Before he turned into a hell of a 3T Henry Melton was one I loved the idea of going into this role. 

For the upcoming draft I'm looking Big Kat Bryant, Carney from Illinois, Figuroa (spelling?) from USC and Carter or Moon from Florida. I'll likely look who has the most aggressive nature or is the most physical but unproductive as a pass rusher for my mock. 

I don’t disagree, but I think you may be spinning your wheels unless you are just having fun saying what you would do if you were in charge.  

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t disagree, but I think you may be spinning your wheels unless you are just having fun saying what you would do if you were in charge.  

Oh definitely. I gave up trying top connect the dots for our GM's FA and draft moves. I don't believe it'll happen. But for a 5th-7th I would have no graduation taking a swing on a conversation player.

Same thing when I say Bars should be rotating in as a blocking TE or heavy FB. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Oh definitely. I gave up trying top connect the dots for our GM's FA and draft moves. I don't believe it'll happen. But for a 5th-7th I would have no graduation taking a swing on a conversation player.

Same thing when I say Bars should be rotating in as a blocking TE or heavy FB. 

No.....Tonga.  Make him "Fridge" v2.0.  A  6'4"/338lb FB.  Take that Craig Heyward.  😝

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soulman said:

No.....Tonga.  Make him "Fridge" v2.0.  A  6'4"/338lb FB.  Take that Craig Heyward.  😝

Tell him he gets to lead block and you will see him skipping down through Halas Hall, and likely a bunch of pictures on knocked off the walls from the shaking. Lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Man, remember what Nagy kept doing to Bradley Sowell?  That guy must have gotten whiplash from getting jerked around so much.  "you're an OL, you're a TE, you're cut! Get back here!"

Yeah, but if he had been good at anything he wouldn't have been Navy's rent-a-mule. 

Had a decent stretch at OT for a bit though I believe before going back to his normal play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Tell him he gets to lead block and you will see him skipping down through Halas Hall, and likely a bunch of pictures on knocked off the walls from the shaking. Lol

To be honest I really don't know why NFL teams don't use a DL or a backup OG to play that role.

Most of those guys are at least as athletic as "Fridge" was.  Hell, even give 'em a carry every once in a while.  I'd love to see another 330lb RB knock a 230lb LB on his butt like Fridge did to George Cumby.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I was excited to see that too. 

Not sure I like it.   I wonder too if Bars hadn't been groomed as this wildcard 6th OL if he would be starting OT now with Ifedi out.

Seems like Bears have kind of wrecked Bars career to be honest.   I think he could have been a middle to lower tier starter in league at one of 5 positions for some team and making far more money over 10-12 years or so.

He will be hanging on by his teeth now making minimum forever.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Not sure I like it.   I wonder too if Bars hadn't been groomed as this wildcard 6th OL if he would be starting OT now with Ifedi out.

Seems like Bears have kind of wrecked Bars career to be honest.   I think he could have been a middle to lower tier starter in league at one of 5 positions for some team and making far more money over 10-12 years or so.

He will be hanging on by his teeth now making minimum forever.

I agree. I kind of have a Garza view on him. Never really good but always good enough.   

Bars IMO should have been battling with Mustipher this season and should have been fighting for the should last year too. Center has been in flux with Whitehair having errant snaps and Daniels just doing poorly there so why not give him a shot?

If anything I think Bars gets out of Chicago and gets a chance elsewhere. I'm hopeful this at least gives him some film that he can show to teams. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I agree. I kind of have a Garza view on him. Never really good but always good enough.   

Bars IMO should have been battling with Mustipher this season and should have been fighting for the should last year too. Center has been in flux with Whitehair having errant snaps and Daniels just doing poorly there so why not give him a shot?

If anything I think Bars gets out of Chicago and gets a chance elsewhere. I'm hopeful this at least gives him some film that he can show to teams. 

Phil on TNLN is pounding table for Daniels to move to center.   I think Daniels should have been center from jump, but not sure if he will be able to adapt if moved back there now.  Last time Bears did that Daniels did poorly. 

• Like 1