Week 4 GDT - Bears vs Lions

Sugashane

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Madden in his coaching book said kick it as far as you can, if our guys can’t cover it I’ll get different guys. 

That would be my thinking as well.  As it stands we should have released Graham and kept Patterson.  Then we'd have had a world class KR and Gunner instead of an aging TE warming the bench.  Just one more case of shooting ourselves in the foot personnel wise.

55 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

LOL Nagy is never going to be allowed to call plays again and he is HC and really wants to. 

Huge ego blow. 

Honestly Nagy is in danger of this Office Space Movie GIF by hero0fwar

Nor should he be allowed to.  He is the HC.  The job description says he must coach the ENTIRE team not just the offense and then call plays on Sundays.  Maybe just maybe if he can somehow do his job as required and let Lazor call plays he might save his *** in the end.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Madden in his coaching book said kick it as far as you can, if our guys can’t cover it I’ll get different guys. 

I hate Madden's voice and anything I read referencing him is automatically in his voice. Madden knows more football than I ever could but I couldn't read a book from him for that exact reason. lol

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think the OL deserves a lot of credit for how they bounced back after last week...yes the Lions don't have anyone close to Cleveland's talent level but those long throws from Fields were very well blocked and he had a clean pocket to step into...in the run game we flat out manhandled their front seven by using more zone concepts that fit our guys much better...even Mustipher was sold and Ifedi had a good day mentally. 

Agreed. I'm critical of the team but the fact is they showed up and overall did really well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

It's the latter part of that sentence that freaks me out with this situation of leaky OL, foundering offense and mobile QB.  They can use Fields as a fix to a lot of problems by putting him in harms way, but given his skillset it seems obvious that we'd be better served using his speed just enough to keep defenses off guard and not relying on it to fix OL issues.

I haven't been watching many other games, whose OL is worse than the Bears right now?

If you are running on purpose you can defend yourself.  

Actually more dangerous to be hit by someone you don't see and aren't expecting IMO.

I think you still want to limit number of hits as each one carries risk.

He has already taken enough for a near full season LOL.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I hate Madden's voice and anything I read referencing him is automatically in his voice. Madden knows more football than I ever could but I couldn't read a book from him for that exact reason. lol

Agreed. I'm critical of the team but the fact is they showed up and overall did really well.

Madden I think still has highest coaching win percentage.  

He was super successful as a coach even though he sounds like a crazy buffoon.  

• Like 1

Yeah, while we end up with a HC who sounds like a crazy buffoon because he is a crazy buffoon.

• Like 1

Rumor has it he invested the current style of call sheets because he was doing a paint-by-numbers during the Super Bowl and didn't want to admit it when he was almost caught.  😁

11 hours ago, soulman said:

Both.  It takes two FGs to offset a TD given up on a return or produced after to a long return.

A kicker is far more important to a team than a coverage unit is, and it's not even close. Alot more games are won or lost by a FG than a return for a TD. Returns for a TD are almost nonexistent anymore. Especially with the rules.

11 hours ago, soulman said:

Tabor didn't fix Santos.  Santos fixed Santos.  He's kicked well in the past then struggled with a groin injury that took some time to recover from.  Then it was all a matter of getting his timing down with snaps and his holder and getting his confidence back. 

So it took him 3 years to recover from a groin injury 😆. Yeah, I'm not buying it.

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

When Santos went undrafted he did well in KC and set some team rookie records. In 2017 he got the injury bug and that IMO was the biggest derailing of his career. Hurt his groin, went to IR and was released from it just to be picked up by us before the injury put him back on IR. He had one nightmare game in TEN where he missed 4 FGs (2 in the 30s, when he had only 1 year of missing 2 in that range for a whole season) but has been stellar since being here. If Tabor was responsible for that then great. I'm skeptical though, Toub was with him for years and I think that had something to do with it too.

I can't say for sure about as a gunner but Patterson was a stud kick returner way before he got to us. He was a multiple All Pro already. Patterson made Tabor look good, not the other way around. McManis has been a standout on special teams for years too, definitely before Tabor got here in 2018. Could absolutely say he improved though under Tabor and I wouldn't argue.

If Toub thought Santos was any good and worth keeping then he wouldn't have let him go in the first place. Santos had been on 4 different teams in 3 years since his stint with KC (LAR, CHI, TEN, TB) and couldn't find a home until now. You don't go through that many teams because of a groin injury that happened before the 2017 season. That's 4 different coaches who obviously didn't think too highly of him and they all found out why.

It's not a coincidence that he's had the best 2 seasons of his career under Tabor.

jAb0V1u.png

Point is, we were in dire need of a kicker after the double doink debacle, and Tabor fixed this issue and the Bears STs as a whole have ranked 13th in 2019 and 8th last year. Clearly, he's not this bum coach your making him out to be.

OK, we disagree on several points, all if them really, including my ever saying the Tabor is a bum.

Go back and look 'cause I'm too busy to do it for you.  What I posted was "He's no Dave Toub" and I believe history will confirm that.  I never posted "Chris Tabor is a bum".  That's 'fake news".

Not gonna debate this with you since you obviously went to a whole lot of trouble trying prove you're right and I'm wrong and I don't really care.  I know what I know and that's my opinion.

• Like 1

Speaking of ol' Cordarrelle Patterson, he scored 3 TDs for the Dirty Birds yesterday and not one of them was as a KR.  He had 5 receptions for 82 yds on 6 targets and 3 tds one a 42 yard bomb.  He also had 34 yds rushing on 6 carries.  So at least Atlanta figured out how to use him offensively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Speaking of ol' Cordarrelle Patterson, he scored 3 TDs for the Dirty Birds yesterday and not one of them was as a KR.  He had 5 receptions for 82 yds on 6 targets and 3 tds one a 42 yard bomb.  He also had 34 yds rushing on 6 carries.  So at least Atlanta figured out how to use him offensively.

shame they can't figure out how to use the #4 overall draft pick tho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

shame they can't figure out how to use the #4 overall draft pick tho

Who the hell cares what they do with their #4 overall pick.  It's irrelevant to my point.

We could have kept CP for less than half of what Graham is costing us.  He's caught 1 pass for 11 yds in 4 games.  Patterson has 18 catches for 235 yds and 4 tds and another 119 yds rushing.

Even if I take all of that away he's would still be more valuable to us just on ST than Graham.

IMHO keeping Graham and paying him $7 mil vs almost anyone else we might have kept is turning out to be a pure waste of money.  Why spend a 2nd round pick on a TE and when in his 2nd year you expect him to ascend we still keep Graham around paying him that kind of money.

These are the kind of personnel decisions that really have me questioning Pace and Nagy.

Edited by soulman

8 hours ago, soulman said:

OK, we disagree on several points, all if them really, including my ever saying the Tabor is a bum.

Go back and look 'cause I'm too busy to do it for you.  What I posted was "He's no Dave Toub" and I believe history will confirm that.  I never posted "Chris Tabor is a bum".  That's 'fake news".

I never said that you or anyone said those EXACT words. Especially you. Read again who I was quoting when I said that because I'm too busy read it back to you.

4 hours ago, soulman said:

How sustainable do you think this is?

Cordelle was a good ST player but is not someone you can rely on in as offensive player.

Edited by JAF-N72EX