Week 4 GDT - Bears vs Lions

Sugashane

12 hours ago, soulman said:

But Daniels was an OC at Iowa and he was drafted to play OC.   When he struggled there we moved him to OG but he was also playing at around 305lbs then not 325lbs like he is now.

Bears drafted him to play OC and moved him to guard so he could learn line calls with intention of moving him to center next season and beyond.   Then he somehow unlearned how to play center.

I believe had they played him at center from jump he would have been fine there in long run.   But I can't prove it.

I mean he did pretty good as a rookie at G and then did relatively poorly at both center and G in following year and then did okay (some really good and some bad) last year before he got hurt and seems to be doing really good this year.  I haven't studied him, but he is getting rave reviews from Phil O who I fairly trust on O line play.   

He came in really young at 20 so I expected a linear progression.   The 2nd year regression kind of threw me, but it happens.  

But I am still irked that Pace didn't put him at his natural position from start.   Go back to those early 2018 threads and you will see I was complaining then.    Center is far more valuable than G. 

I hate this whole learn by watching other people theory.   Especially and in particularly in sports.    I say learn by doing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

They put your big *** at safety? LOL

Yessir!

I was 6'4" but only 190. Not much hope at keeping me as a DE and they ran with bigger LBs too. I was lost in coverage for the most part early on but had enough speed to go wherever and put a big hit on someone.

Cool thing though was I had a small role. Only was a rotational player in defense when we were running "Dagger" dime. Kind of a neat design my coach ran with. I was way bigger than our CBs so I would get to press their top WR or TE and then would blitz as soon as he broke off. Basically had me runblocking and trying to force him back into the backfield. Couldn't run it a lot obviously but in D-III there was usually one go to guy anyway.

WR was my main spot though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Yessir!

I was 6'4" but only 190. Not much hope at keeping me as a DE and they ran with bigger LBs too. I was lost in coverage for the most part early on but had enough speed to go wherever and put a big hit on someone.

Cool thing though was I had a small role. Only was a rotational player in defense when we were running "Dagger" dime. Kind of a neat design my coach ran with. I was way bigger than our CBs so I would get to press their top WR or TE and then would blitz as soon as he broke off. Basically had me runblocking and trying to force him back into the backfield. Couldn't run it a lot obviously but in D-III there was usually one go to guy anyway.

WR was my main spot though. 

Cool!

I graduated HS at 17 and was about 6'1 and 180.  

I got recruited by probably every D3 school in midwest for some reason.   I think they recruited anyone who started for a big high school.

I was only going to play a stand up DE as I was too small to play DL or OL at even D3 level.   Even if I ballooned myself.

I just didn't see point in banging my head and body to shreds against larger men for another 4 years when football was never going to be my career so I called it a day.  I played very violently.

This isn't about me though, I was just an average joe,  I say all that to get to this:

Looking back I may have made another choice if I had to do it over as one of guys recruiting me was John Gagliardi.   I had no idea who that was in high school.   I found out who he was when I started studying coaching football (as a hobby when I started coaching youth football locally at the request of a friend years ago).   

You guys should look him up.    He is a fascinating guy.   He is all time winningest football coach and he did it with very unusual and unorthodox methods.   

He got offered lots of big time jobs and turned them all down because he wanted to do things his own way.   Quite the character this guy.

It would have been amazing to play for him and learn from him.   I love unusual outlier people.  

Had I done that I may have pursued coaching as a career.  Ah well.  What happened is what was meant to be.

Another program offered me locally called Augustana.   They also had a big reputation for D3.   I never looked into them though.   One of HS teammates ended up going there and playing and some of kids I coached play there now.

Actually one kid I coached is playing for Don Beebe (remember him from Buffalo Bills) he started a speed training business and then got into coaching HS football in IL.   Now he is coaching a small college.   He is runs some very innovative offenses.  

(LOL I wrote all this yesterday and never hit submit because got busy at work and had to cut out quick - still sitting here)

• Like 2

To continue on above - Beebe went to a HS with no reputation and history and won state championships.  That isn't easy to do for anyone.  

Now he is coaching small jr. college or d3 school or whatever in same town and scoring like 70 a game.   Guy may be best offensive coach in country that no one has heard of - aside from his NFL career.  

I am sure they remember him as a WR, but few people probably know he got into coaching as he has kept a low profile and been content to do things his way in small venues.

Guys like Gagliardi and Beebe fascinate me.  Kind of guys I would seek out to talk to as they are rare outside the box thinkers.   

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 11:13 AM, HuskieBear said:

who the hell is albright?

do you mean arlington hambright? i'm also pretty sure he didn't play last year, so i'm not sure what you're referring to

You would be wrong on that. He played every snap when Whitehair was out with COVID and held his own.

18 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

You would be wrong on that. He played every snap when Whitehair was out with COVID and held his own.

One game in a loss where they didn’t even have 60 yards rushing isn’t what I would consider anyone on the OL holding there own. 

On 10/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, HuskieBear said:

played so well you remember his name, huh?

yez nassi hes plaed welss n im glads use noes he plaid

On 10/15/2021 at 4:42 PM, blkwdw13 said:

One game in a loss where they didn’t even have 60 yards rushing isn’t what I would consider anyone on the OL holding there own. 

Wins and losses and the amount of rushing yards are hardly exclusive to OL play. Much less when talking about individual OL play.

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

yez nassi hes plaed welss n im glads use noes he plaid

Wins and losses and the amount of rushing yards are hardly exclusive to OL play. Much less when talking about individual OL play.

Well then since you remember him playing so well why don’t you show us him doing so. Otherwise that’s all we have to go off of. 

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Well then since you remember him playing so well why don’t you show us him doing so. Otherwise that’s all we have to go off of. 

All of this info is readily available. I have no desire to waste my time putting together clips to someone who believes wins and losses are a way to determine how well the OL plays. No thanks...I'm good.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:36 AM, dll2000 said:

Cool!

I graduated HS at 17 and was about 6'1 and 180.  

I got recruited by probably every D3 school in midwest for some reason.   I think they recruited anyone who started for a big high school.

I was only going to play a stand up DE as I was too small to play DL or OL at even D3 level.   Even if I ballooned myself.

I just didn't see point in banging my head and body to shreds against larger men for another 4 years when football was never going to be my career so I called it a day.  I played very violently.

This isn't about me though, I was just an average joe,  I say all that to get to this:

Looking back I may have made another choice if I had to do it over as one of guys recruiting me was John Gagliardi.   I had no idea who that was in high school.   I found out who he was when I started studying coaching football (as a hobby when I started coaching youth football locally at the request of a friend years ago).   

You guys should look him up.    He is a fascinating guy.   He is all time winningest football coach and he did it with very unusual and unorthodox methods.   

He got offered lots of big time jobs and turned them all down because he wanted to do things his own way.   Quite the character this guy.

It would have been amazing to play for him and learn from him.   I love unusual outlier people.  

Had I done that I may have pursued coaching as a career.  Ah well.  What happened is what was meant to be.

Another program offered me locally called Augustana.   They also had a big reputation for D3.   I never looked into them though.   One of HS teammates ended up going there and playing and some of kids I coached play there now.

Actually one kid I coached is playing for Don Beebe (remember him from Buffalo Bills) he started a speed training business and then got into coaching HS football in IL.   Now he is coaching a small college.   He is runs some very innovative offenses.  

(LOL I wrote all this yesterday and never hit submit because got busy at work and had to cut out quick - still sitting here)

Thats cool. IDK why I didn't see this until now though.

When I was a senior I was sure I was going to UF. My grandma lived near so I would change my address to her's and that would make it only be out-of-state tuition my freshman year. One of the regulars at the restaurant I served at was a Gator fanatic and connected me with Billy Gonzales through email. He was the recruiter and a WR coach for the Gators. I was going to go there and basically be a towel boy, coffee fetcher, slash nameless grunt in hopes of getting to become a graduate assistant. He started his coaching career at MacMurray in IL, literally 30 mins from where I grew up, so by luck he was a football coach for the regular that always wanted me to talk Gators.

I would have tried to get in on basketball too since I love both. I loved playing football more but was a better basketball player, IDK which I would have enjoyed more as a coach. While I never could have played at that level I would have LOVED going. In the end I took my D-III grants while thinking it was a scholarship. The only real full ride I was offered was from Culver-Stockton, which was a 3 win team my senior year of high school, 3 win my freshman of college (the last year they contacted me) and then won only 1 game the next three years. Sad that was my only real chance of starting D-II. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

All of this info is readily available. I have no desire to waste my time putting together clips to someone who believes wins and losses are a way to determine how well the OL plays. No thanks...I'm good.

Then I'll take the stats that the offense once again sucked over some ones word. Since you don't want to prove what you stated.