Week 4 GDT - Bears vs Lions

Sugashane

Watched the game at 9 last night.   Busy day.  

It was so much fun to watch.   Fields looks like a promising player.   Mooney looks good again.  ARob looks good again.

Monty was awesome … again.  Sucks he got hurt. 

Bears ran a lot of heavy and an I formation! LOL. 

Quinn is quieting haters.  

Kmet was quiet.  He got held and didn’t even complain.

Saw Nagy complaining to refs.  You can do that when you aren’t calling plays and it actually can help if done right. 

It’s weird as a Bears fan I expect every great play to have a flag somewhere LOL or be overturned on replay.  

I can’t remember which and it is tougher without broadcast but it looked like they quickly got a play off following a close catch.  They need to do that more.  

That penalty on Mack for touching helmet was infuriating.  I guess it is right call, when it so light though it is stupid.  

• Like 2

Even though Bears are not there yet, the seed is there because of element of big play is there with Fields.  Bears haven’t had that for years and it is crucial to offensive success.

I would say Lions defensive game plan was kind of inexplicable.  I mean who didn’t think Bears would come out running ball?  They should have stacked box and forced the pass. 

• Like 1

I think it's becoming obvious what worked last year will also work this year - playing under center and using the under center play action game. The worst play I saw yesterday was in the red zone, a shotgun run for -2 or 3 yards. 

We will bum slay all the bad defenses, but will need to rely on Fields being 1.5x better than Mitch from last season to have a shot at the good teams. 

This offensive line can run/pass protect if they have help and do it under center, Fields is going to need to take his game and this offense to the next level if we want to have offensive consistently this year. 

We need to model our offensive to the Seahawks, under center running, PA, scrambling and deep throws.

• Like 1

Counterpoint: Lions, the.

So fun to get a win and see the offense function.  Pretty sure we're going to have some rough to watch games this season but I enjoyed every minute of that one.  THAT was a good plan for Fields,  efficient gains to keep them out of long downs allows them to setup long pass plays.  He throws a GREAT ball. If* they can cover up for the OL a bit with a variety of looks and plays, and if* Fields can keep the long ball working they can hopefully be productive on offense and give Fields time and reps he needs to work on his weaknesses, which were still there today in terms of clock speed and going through his reads.  I do like that he seems to be seeing things presnap after 2.5 games that Mitch never did.

*it's the Lion

Funny thought I had, lets say you're a GM from another team who for some reason closely follows the Bears, so you're wondering how bad Nagy did Mitch and how bad Mitch is by himself. If your QB goes down, would you go after Mitch or Foles?

58 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think the OL deserves a lot of credit for how they bounced back after last week...yes the Lions don't have anyone close to Cleveland's talent level but those long throws from Fields were very well blocked and he had a clean pocket to step into...in the run game we flat out manhandled their front seven by using more zone concepts that fit our guys much better...even Mustipher was sold and Ifedi had a good day mentally. 

This is what's so frustrating for me, we know what worked last year with these guys, let's build on those concepts. I think we'll struggle against elite defenses, but no scheme will save us from losing 1-on-1 battles. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

I think it's becoming obvious what worked last year will also work this year - playing under center and using the under center play action game. The worst play I saw yesterday was in the red zone, a shotgun run for -2 or 3 yards. 

We will bum slay all the bad defenses, but will need to rely on Fields being 1.5x better than Mitch from last season to have a shot at the good teams. 

This offensive line can run/pass protect if they have help and do it under center, Fields is going to need to take his game and this offense to the next level if we want to have offensive consistently this year. 

We need to model our offensive to the Seahawks, under center running, PA, scrambling and deep throws.

There are ways to play smash mouth and play action football from gun, just no one in NFL uses it that way at moment.  They need to look to what people did in past - nothing new under the sun.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Also, joke totally lost on my wife:

"you can really see the benefit of the Lions not knowing who was calling plays, and man they looked like they were expecting Andy Dalton!"

Your other wife got it and chuckled. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There are ways to play smash mouth and play action football from gun, just no one in NFL uses it that way at moment.  They need to look to what people did in past - nothing new under the sun.  

I take it back, Baltimore uses some of things, but there are more schemes that can be used with a QB that is a threat to run and still keeping him relatively safe. 

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I take it back, Baltimore uses some of things, but there are more schemes that can be used with a QB that is a threat to run and still keeping him relatively safe. 

It's the latter part of that sentence that freaks me out with this situation of leaky OL, foundering offense and mobile QB.  They can use Fields as a fix to a lot of problems by putting him in harms way, but given his skillset it seems obvious that we'd be better served using his speed just enough to keep defenses off guard and not relying on it to fix OL issues.

I haven't been watching many other games, whose OL is worse than the Bears right now?