Week 4 GDT - Bears vs Lions

Sugashane

"In some ways I'm glad last week happened." Justin Fields says he likes how adversity brings out a different person inside him, and pushes him to do better.

"And also the fact that Nagy stopped calling dumb 6 yard curls and let me show my talent...thank God for Billl Lazor...as disgusting a thing as that is to say since he isn't much better...please save me Brian Daboll"

Only one part of this quote was from Fields himself...but all is true😂
  • Like 2

I really don't care if I see Trevathan again. Ogletree flies around out there

Whoever keeps taking Quinn's uniform every week and dressing as him, pay the man!

I haven't checked stats but by the eye test, O'Donnell has been really good this year (cc: @Sugashane)

Fields made some great, chunk throws today. Gotta love it. I still think he can speed up his game even more, such as on the strip sack I thought he could've tucked it and run, but I like what I saw

They hope and believe that Montgomery, per Rapoport, has a hyperextension and nothing more severe. If he is out for awhile, Damien Williams looked fast and shifty today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

"In some ways I'm glad last week happened." Justin Fields says he likes how adversity brings out a different person inside him, and pushes him to do better.

"And also the fact that Nagy stopped calling dumb 6 yard curls and let me show my talent...thank God for Billl Lazor...as disgusting a thing as that is to say since he isn't much better...please save me Brian Daboll"

Only one part of this quote was from Fields himself...but all is true😂

I think Daboll leaked that when they talked in the preseason. lol

Just now, beardown3231 said:

I really don't care if I see Trevathan again. Ogletree flies around out there

Whoever keeps taking Quinn's uniform every week and dressing as him, pay the man!

I haven't checked stats but by the eye test, O'Donnell has been really good this year (cc: @Sugashane)

Fields made some great, chunk throws today. Gotta love it. I still think he can speed up his game even more, such as on the strip sack I thought he could've tucked it and run, but I like what I saw

They hope and believe that Montgomery, per Rapoport, has a hyperextension and nothing more severe. If he is out for awhile, Damien Williams looked fast and shifty today

Yeah, Pat has been booming the ball like I thought he would when we drafted him the last 2 weeks. He's laying into it like I hoped when he was drafted.

BUT... dude has like 6 years of mediocre play, I'm not holding my breath that this is more than just a lucky streak. lol

16 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yeah, Pat has been booming the ball like I thought he would when we drafted him the last 2 weeks. He's laying into it like I hoped when he was drafted.

BUT... dude has like 6 years of mediocre play, I'm not holding my breath that this is more than just a lucky streak. lol

He is getting longer punts this year but his net is also in the bottom quarter of the league, that to me says he isn't getting much air time to where the coverage team can get there.

3 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

He is getting longer punts this year but his net is also in the bottom quarter of the league, that to me says he isn't getting much air time to where the coverage team can get there.

Remember the Browns' returner made a few people just miss and had a few big returns because of that. I bet that had a huge impact since we are so early in the season. He did well last week but the coverage was just trash. It has been for a while, which might be why he has to sky the ball.

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Remember the Browns' returner made a few people just miss and had a few big returns because of that. I bet that had a huge impact since we are so early in the season. He did well last week but the coverage was just trash. It has been for a while, which might be why he has to sky the ball.

Well then not including the Browns game he was only averaging 41 a punt which would be good for third worst in the league.

Yeah, just went to ESPN and looked at the play by play.

Returns

61 yard punt for 14 yard return

61 yards for 13 yard return

52 yards for 11 yard return and a block in the back

50 yards for 23 yard return

63 yards for 9 yard return

48 yards for 14 yard return

62 yards for 24 yards return

When you are kicking 48 yards and allow 14 yards on a return and 63 yards for a 9 yard return that shows a big inconsistency in coverage more than anything IMO. Especially when only 1 in 7 is held to under 10 yards on a return.That may mean he needs to sky more to compensate - which is likely a common thing - but I think coverage is worse than the punting in this case. And we know I have zero issues calling POD out for sucking.

I feel like our coverage has been pretty poor on average since the Trestman era.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Yeah, just wen to ESPN and looked at the play by play.

Returns

When you are kicking 48 yards and allow 14 yards on a return and 63 yards for a 9 yard return that shows a big inconsistency in coverage more than anything IMO. Especially when only 1 in 7 is held to under 10 yards on a return.

Chris Tabor strikes again.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Chris Tabor strikes again.

That's my guess as well.

We had the most return yards in the league prior to this week, 7th most in the league last year, 10th most the year before that.

In 2018 we had the 5th LEAST punt return yards allowed. And in 2017 the 3rd most with over 500.

Meanwhile POD's net has been pretty damn close to the same year after year. Boom it and risk the big play  (or help the anemic offense) or be safe and try to force the fair catch (but make sure you rarely ever flip the field for your defense). The coaching just seems to be worse than POD.

That being said, I don't see what he offers that warrants a higher paycheck than what a decent rookie or cheap FA could do. But without better coaching we might as well just focus on offense and defense and just deal with whatever the ST can do. They aren't getting coached worth a damn on that facet.

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yeah, just went to ESPN and looked at the play by play.

Returns

When you are kicking 48 yards and allow 14 yards on a return and 63 yards for a 9 yard return that shows a big inconsistency in coverage more than anything IMO. Especially when only 1 in 7 is held to under 10 yards on a return.That may mean he needs to sky more to compensate - which is likely a common thing - but I think coverage is worse than the punting in this case. And we know I have zero issues calling POD out for sucking.

I feel like our coverage has been pretty poor on average since the Trestman era.

I feel like I don't understand your term of "skying", I think he is kicking it lower and longer leading to his better distance but the coverage isn't able to get there. If he kicked it higher it wouldn't go as far but the covarage would be closer and shorter returns would be the result.

Just now, Sugashane said:

That's my guess as well.

We had the most return yards in the league prior to this week, 7th most in the league last year, 10th most the year before that.

In 2018 we had the 5th LEAST punt return yards allowed. And in 2017 the 3rd most with over 500.

Meanwhile POD's net has been pretty damn close to the same year after year. Boom it and risk the big play  (or help the anemic offense) or be safe and try to force the fair catch (but make sure you rarely ever flip the field for your defense). The coaching just seems to be worse than POD.

That being said, I don't see what he offers that warrants a higher paycheck than what a decent rookie or cheap FA could do. But without better coaching we might as well just focus on offense and defense and just deal with whatever the ST can do. They aren't getting coached worth a damn on that facet.

Tabor is just the tip of the iceberg with this coaching staff...we honestly have no one I would want to keep on the next staff which is really worrying...what might be even more worrying is when you compare our staff to Vic Fanio's in Denver...the fact he was able to take whoever he wanted on both sides of the ball and then add way more talent than we could replace them with shows you that coaches know Nagy is terrible and don't want to come here.

• Like 2