The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

Mayo at DC would be interesting. First time getting his hands on defensive calls. It’s a much needed step if he wishes to be a HC and I don’t think that will ever happen with the Pats. What his game plan and defense would be would be interesting 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Mayo at DC would be interesting. First time getting his hands on defensive calls. It’s a much needed step if he wishes to be a HC and I don’t think that will ever happen with the Pats. What his game plan and defense would be would be interesting 

I would be happy with Mayo as the DC because of the fact that they would still run a four-man front. That's the main thing I care about

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I believe he was the OC for three of them. I could be wrong though. Oh yeah, it doesn't hurt to call plays for the  🐐

Sure that's true but he had an easier job than most lol. Now that's said, I thought he did a really good job with Mac Jones this year(as good of a job you could do with a quarterback like that).

Edited by Jeremy408

5 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

The writing was on the wall. He knew he wasn't getting the HC job in LV.

I’m sure he was already informed as a good-will gesture so he can look at other positions. Not everything is reported in the media. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

My thing is this:

-over like the last 20 years no patriots assistant coach that went on to be a HC has ever made it to the playoffs outside of O’Brien who is the one exception but even with that it Has to be factored in that oh he inherited a Gary Kubiak team that had one bad year after being built from the ground up by kubiak. Every place you can think of that was a star or a impact player on the team was drafted during the Kubiak era(except for Deshaun Watson which is I think personally prolonged O’Briens head-coaching career). And just so you know gassing up Kubiak, he went on to win the Super Bowl with the Broncos.

-The formula I’ve seen for the last 10 years in particular with patriots assistant head coaches that take over that head-coaching role is this

1. They go choose our new team

2. They start having issues with key players on the team

3. Eventually the key players get traded as the coach brings in eX patriots players(that are usually over the hill or overpaid)

4. The team plummets and gets worse and worse records

5. That coach gets fired. 

it’s the pattern I saw with Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia(Believe it or not the Lions were a playoff team two years before they got Patricia and were 9-7 the year before.)  and O’Brien who I already mention. 

People like Brian Flores(like myself) and will cite him as a winning coach. But with that being said he also has never made the playoffs. 

And then of course when we’re talking particularly about Mcdaniels cheating, it’s not the fact that he cheated; is the fact that after he got caught cheating he was never good again. Players also attest to this as I’m sure people have seen by now. 

now just so people don’t think I’m being negative there are some positives:

-From a personnel standpoint on offense, I think it’s a good fit. There are players that directly translate to what he likes to do such as Derek Carr Darren Waller Hunter Renfrow Jalen Richard and Josh Jacobs. I can also see a player like Zay Jones thriving in this style of offense. (that said don’t expect some kind of deep threat to get signed or drafted now because that’s not really how their offense works.)

-JC Jackson who is my favorite player could potentially be brought to the Raiders Giving us a replacement/upgrade for Casey Hayward who is for sure leaving. 

This is fair. It's all opinion of course. It however neglects the 10 year gap since he last was a head coach. And ignores all the positive things said about him from players, coaches and GM's alike. 

A lot of coaches fail in their first head coaching gig for various reason. 17 of the past 24 Super Bowl winning coaches have had coaches not on their first head coaching job. Almost like they learn from a failed experience. 

There is a quote I'm reminded of with this debate:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is fair. It's all opinion of course. It however neglects the 10 year gap since he last was a head coach. And ignores all the positive things said about him from players, coaches and GM's alike. 

A lot of coaches fail in their first head coaching gig for various reason. 17 of the past 24 Super Bowl winning coaches have had coaches not on their first head coaching job. Almost like they learn from a failed experience. 

There is a quote I'm reminded of with this debate:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.

sure it's all opinion. I don't disagree with anything you really said. But one thing that has to also be taken into account is that patriot assistants will always be offered jobs. It's just a fact of the NFL. Which means that the NFL always looks favorably upon patriots assistants. It's just one of those things that we should all keep in the back of our minds. For saying similar things about Matt Patricia. And then right after similar things about Brian Flores. Thing I always notice is it's always that the next guy is gonna be different from all the others when it comes to that whole Patriots coaching tree thing

The thing I will say in agreement with what you said is that he was very young. And like I said from an offensive standpoint strictly is that he's a direct match with what we already have. which to me is the silver lining. 

Edited by Jeremy408