The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Anyone remember the background on why McDaniels got into it with Cutler and traded him? What's McD mean for Carr?

All reports are saying McDaniels would likely keep Carr.  In fact I think it was mentioned that the Pats tried to trade for him before.

McDaniels informed the Raiders that he wouldn’t accept their interview request unless he was being offered the job, per sources. And the Raiders told McDaniels that if and when he was offered the position, he needed to be prepared to accept. Sources emphasized that all parties are on the same page, including McDaniels, Ziegler, Raiders owner Mark Davis, and team president Dan Ventrelle.

Just now, agarcia34 said:

McDaniels informed the Raiders that he wouldn’t accept their interview request unless he was being offered the job, per sources. And the Raiders told McDaniels that if and when he was offered the position, he needed to be prepared to accept. Sources emphasized that all parties are on the same page, including McDaniels, Ziegler, Raiders owner Mark Davis, and team president Dan Ventrelle.

And what if the interview goes horrible? 

6 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Here’s the whole thing. Basically **** would need to hit the fan for this to fall through if not McDaniels is the HC

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

“Boom or Bust” doesn’t apply to coaches very often.. but McDaniels is the very definition of it. He could be just like his Denver stint and completely fail, or become a Top 5 HC. More likely to “bust” though. 

Why? Has a QB, LT, TE (2), Slot WR, RB. Plus a decent nucleus on defense. God level P/K.

Everything is very much set up for him to stack win early and often. 

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Why? Has a QB, LT, TE (2), Slot WR, RB. Plus a decent nucleus on defense. God level P/K.

Everything is very much set up for him to stack win early and often. 

Never has shown he’s a leader, and his personality certainly doesn’t scream leader either. Got a tiny bit more “it factor” than Bowles, but not much. Also extremely immature. Also, can he evaluate talent? Everything we know about him says no. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for gambling. It’s how you win Super Bowls. I’ve wanted to gamble on getting rid of Carr for ages. If McDaniels gamble pays off and he becomes the next Shanny and McVay, then holy moly we hit the jackpot. I simply just think it’s more unlikely than likely. 

I’ll warm up to it like I always do… but my initial thoughts/feelings are it’s a bad hire. I will say it’s a better hire than Allen, Del Rio, and Gruden IMO. Although that’s not saying much.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Never has shown he’s a leader, and his personality certainly doesn’t scream leader either. Got a tiny bit more “it factor” than Bowles, but not much. Also extremely immature. Also, can he evaluate talent? Everything we know about him says no. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for gambling. It’s how you win Super Bowls. I’ve wanted to gamble on getting rid of Carr for ages. If McDaniels gamble pays off and he becomes the next Shanny and McVay, then holy moly we hit the jackpot. I simply just think it’s more unlikely than likely. 

I’ll warm up to it like I always do… but my initial thoughts/feelings are it’s a bad hire. I will say it’s a better hire than Allen, Del Rio, and Gruden IMO. Although that’s not saying much.

That's your opinions based on his past I'm guessing. Everything you read from players he's coached, other coaches and front office people say otherwise.

Doesn't need to evaluate talent, he's got his people for that. But knows how to evaluate and get the most out of the talent he's given. 

I'll argue he's one of the best hires in this cycle 3 years from now. Will be fun to see what happens. 

I get the hesitation, but 95% of what people don't like is judging from his time in Denver when he was 32 years old. 

• Like 3