The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

18 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

This statement is pure speculation and not rooted in fact.  How do you know that Zeigler will just be JM's puppet?  They have worked together for years and it's pretty clear that JM was holding out for an opportunity to work with guys who share the same philosophy and vision as him.   

It is a bit. However remember zeigler was a high school coach and got hired by head coach Mcdaniels in Denver. I can't believe that Zeigler will be in a position to tell Josh no and Josh take him seriously. Unless Zeigler has grown into an alpha male. However I do think it's very possible that they work well together and share the same philosophy, and can compromise well. But when push comes to shove, it makes sense that Josh will have that 51% say. Which I don't like.

• Like 1

The HC/GM package deal is a major trend across the league. We have seen more HCs fail than not with total control; we have seen the same with GMs. I have some reservations about this package, no doubt. But the hierarchy is not one of them. 

• Like 2

No one knows how the Zeigler/McDaniels combo will work out, but they been friends long enough where there is obviously respect towards one another and I have a hard time seeing McDaniels not listen to him. 

One thing McDaniels cannot do that he did with the Broncos is hire his brother like he did with the Broncos. I believe it was for QB coach but can’t make those mistakes again. 

The Pats offseason I thought was intriguing because it felt like they went out and doubled down on each of their need positions with at least 2 good players as oppossed to putting everything on 1  (i.e. TE: Jonnu and Henry.  WR: Bourne and Agholor, Godchaux and Barmore, LBS [I know technically different positions...]: Judon, Hightower and Van Noy).

I wonder if

1: that was intentional and 2: if that was Ziegler's doing (and whether we'll see that moving forward)

1 minute ago, NickButera said:

It is a bit. However remember zeigler was a high school coach and got hired by head coach Mcdaniels in Denver. I can't believe that Zeigler will be in a position to tell Josh no and Josh take him seriously. Unless Zeigler has grown into an alpha male. However I do think it's very possible that they work well together and share the same philosophy, and can compromise well. But when push comes to shove, it makes sense that Josh will have that 51% say. Which I don't like.

He was hired by JM over a decade ago, they clearly know and respect each other.  Zigler has also worked his way up the ranks in the most successful organization the NFL has ever seen, that is not an easy task and tells me that he is competent.  

There will always be situations where they don't agree but I am sure over the last decade plus they have worked together under similar circumstances.  There is a hierarchy and sometimes compromises needs to be made, I think it's presumptuous to assume that it will be JM's way and there will be no collaboration and compromise.   

Someone always has the ultimate say and I'm sure the inner workings of HC/GM differs in every NFL franchise.  What I do like is these two are young, are not strangers and have worked together for over a decade. I like this much better than paring a GM/HC who barely know each other.

McDaniels was in control of a top 10 scoring offense with a rookie QB who he probably had to shorten his playbook due to the arm issue Mac Jones had. Top 10 in red zone offense. Top 10 in 3rd down percentage. 

Pats fan frustrated with that and are celebrating him leaving lol. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

No one knows how the Zeigler/McDaniels combo will work out, but they been friends long enough where there is obviously respect towards one another and I have a hard time seeing McDaniels not listen to him. 

One thing McDaniels cannot do that he did with the Broncos is hire his brother like he did with the Broncos. I believe it was for QB coach but can’t make those mistakes again. 

That’s how I see it too. Considering we know very little of him over the last few years, it would be disingenuous to not be wary of his personality and decision making. 

i like the X’s and O’s and the idea of pairing him with Carr. I also think the dynamic between him and Ziegler will be healthy (based on basically the same idea you pointed to).  So, I choose optimism. We could be burned, but we’ll just do it again if so. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

ABC people will not be happy about this. Expect an extension as well. The Pats red zone offense was fantastic last year so if we can replicate the amount of times we get there, I'm sure we can expect more TDs. I'm just glad we're not (seemingly) not blowing everything up bc we're not a bad team no matter how many people want to think that

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NickButera said:

That makes me feel better. He doesn't want to blow this up, but build on it. Hope Carr agrees. It also means the orgization is committed to him.

As much as casual fans want to dismiss Carr's talents on this message board, true NFL minds know exactly what type of QB Carr is.  Carr is one of the main reasons that JM and Zeigler are taking this position.  Carr will get paid and built around there is no doubting that with this move.

I'm interested to hear from all the naysayers who believe we can't compete in the AFC west with Carr.  Clearly JM and company think that your opinion is baseless and you have no clue what you're talking about which is exactly what I have been saying for years :) 

I do believe there will significant roster turnover as they will look for players who fit their philosophy and scheme.  The players who I see being the core of this team moving forward are Carr, Miller, Waller, Renfrow and Maxx.  Mullin and Moehrig have potential but their success has yet to be determined.  

Protection and pressure are keys to success so I see this group having a major emphasis on bolstering both our Oline and Dline

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

ABC people will not be happy about this. Expect an extension as well. The Pats red zone offense was fantastic last year so if we can replicate the amount of times we get there, I'm sure we can expect more TDs. I'm just glad we're not (seemingly) not blowing everything up bc we're not a bad team no matter how many people want to think that

We have very little talent on this team.  Let me ask you who are the players on this team who are going to get built around?  I posted my list of players above.  

No NFL roster is completely devoid of talent but there is no arguing that we have a patchwork roster with very little established, long term talent.  

We have a few nice pieces but in terms of overall talent we are near the bottom of the league. 

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

We have very little talent on this team.  Let me ask you who are the players on this team who are going to get built around?  I posted my list of players above.  

No NFL roster is completely devoid of talent but there is no arguing that we have a patchwork roster with very little established, long term talent.  

We have a few nice pieces but in terms of overall talent we are near the bottom of the league. 

The following are assets on offense IMO:

An above average QB who can be great at times. 

A top 5 TE.

One of the best slot WRs in the game.

A good LT, C, and G situation as I feel Leatherwood improved there and will next year. 

RBs are a dime a dozen so I'm not worried there

Bryon Edwards isn't anything to write home about but his production clearly went down after we lost the deep threat in Ruggs. He is a viable possession WR and we have to believe once we get that deep threat back, he'll become more productive. 

We desperately need a deep threat WR, a RT, and depth pretty much all over. That's my opinion on where we're at on offense. 

16 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I'm interested to hear from all the naysayers who believe we can't compete in the AFC west with Carr.  Clearly JM and company think that your opinion is baseless and you have no clue what you're talking about which is exactly what I have been saying for years :)

You pay me millions of guaranteed cash, I'll believe I can compete in the AFC West with Nathan Peterman at QB.