The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

How did you read my post and come back with that?

Of course the NFL, like any business, isn’t based on meritocracy.  It’s based on networking and who knows who.  But that’s not what I was posting.  I simply posted a funny “down memories” lane video of Lane Kiffen.  It wasn’t a shot at McDaniels.  It was just a funny video I had bookmarked on my phone for many years and came across recently and shared.

Was just an observation on the laughable notion that NFL is just about hiring the best person for job. McDaniels hired his brother when he was with Denver, stuff like that should never be allowed to happen 

Just now, Jraider91 said:

Was just an observation on the laughable notion that NFL is just about hiring the best person for job. McDaniels hired his brother when he was with Denver, stuff like that should never be allowed to happen 

Yeah, that’s ridiculous.  McKenzie did the same thing here when GM.  Didn’t he hire his brother and old frat brother?

My stance is that there has to be a proper balance of merit and relationship.  Every coach/exec brings a certain balance of both.  If your a GM you want to hire someone who know from working with them in the past over an unknown because your job is on the line to some degree for the hire and you already have personal Experience working with them, so you can vouch for them and trust them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

On Harbaugh, I wonder how legitimate any of that was. Did we speak to him but the demands were just too high? If that happened then I can understand going in a different direction.

It definitely looked like JH was interested, so if Mark hasn’t even considered him then that would be very disappointing. Maybe he felt it was a similar situation to Gruden where he’d have to give out a massive contract for an domineering character who had been out of the league for a while - although I think it’s clear to see that Harbaugh > Gruden.

I guess we’ll probably never find out how realistic or close the JH rumors ever were.

I think demands were just too high and that quickly killed it all.  We weren’t going for a 100m/10yr deal or anything remotely close to it.  Heck, even 50/5 was too much IMO.  We wanted something more in line with what most coaches get.

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think demands were just too high and that quickly killed it all.  We weren’t going for a 100m/10yr deal or anything remotely close to it.  Heck, even 50/5 was too much IMO.  We wanted something more in line with what most coaches get.

Watch McDaniels get 5 for 50. Have a feeling we'll overpay

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah, that’s ridiculous.  McKenzie did the same thing here when GM.  Didn’t he hire his brother and old frat brother?

My stance is that there has to be a proper balance of merit and relationship.  Every coach/exec brings a certain balance of both.  If your a GM you want to hire someone who know from working with them in the past over an unknown because your job is on the line to some degree for the hire and you already have personal Experience working with them, so you can vouch for them and trust them.

Yep, was an article on just how much nepotism is rife in the NFL. 111 coaches related to a current or former HC. 

https://defector.com/just-how-big-a-problem-is-nepotism-in-nfl-coaching/

31 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I couldn't imagine calling myself a Raider fan, watching every game and being so off base and clueless as to the talent we have at the QB position.  It's not surprising as many people today lack the ability to comprehend what is staring them right in the face.  

You need to give up your ridiculous narrative as year after year you're proven wrong.  It must feel like **** knowing one of the top coaching candidates in the NFL is coming here because of the QB you are so adamant about moving on from.  JM and Zigler are not only coming here to build around Carr but will give him the extension he deserves.

How does it feel to be proven wrong once again?  It must suck taking such a ridged stance and being embarrassed every single offseason.  If this move doesn't only prove your ineptness to evaluate QB talent or talent in general, it shows that you're not only clueless but that you are unable to except reality and that reality is that Carr is a franchise QB who will be here for years to come.  

Just remember this and don’t flip flop later if it fails. I know you’ll use it as an excuse. Winning cures everything. Maybe we’ll get lucky and he brings Trent back with him to fix our RT spot. 

6 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Just remember this and don’t flip flop later if it fails. I know you’ll use it as an excuse. Winning cures everything. Maybe we’ll get lucky and he brings Trent back with him to fix our RT spot. 

F Trent 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

We've seen Carr's floor and it's pretty damn good.  There is little to no chance that he will ever be surrounded with worst talent and a worse D than he has had every year of his career.  

I can't wait to surround him with an offensive scheme that suits his skillset, improve his talent on O and build a bully D.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’m shocked to wake up to a Brady retiring announcement and no McDaniels hired announcement. 

Are we really hiring him? I feel it would of been announced already.

IMO the "interview" that's happening today is negotiating the contract and paperwork. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’m shocked to wake up to a Brady retiring announcement and no McDaniels hired announcement. 

Are we really hiring him? I feel it would of been announced already.

They only met today, they'll announce it tomorrow. It is a done deal unless he does his rat like disappearance act again.