The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The following are assets on offense IMO:

An above average QB who can be great at times. 

A top 5 TE.

One of the best slot WRs in the game.

A good LT, C, and G situation as I feel Leatherwood improved there and will next year. 

RBs are a dime a dozen so I'm not worried there

Bryon Edwards isn't anything to write home about but his production clearly went down after we lost the deep threat in Ruggs. He is a viable possession WR and we have to believe once we get that deep threat back, he'll become more productive. 

We desperately need a deep threat WR, a RT, and depth pretty much all over. That's my opinion on where we're at on offense. 

Carr is a top 12 NFL QB as it currently stands.  I am intrigued to see what he does with better coaching and improved weapons.  It is obvious that JM believes he can not only win with Carr but build around him.  Carr will get paid and be behind center for years to come.  Love him or hate him he is our QB.

I disagree with with your Oline assessment.  The only player I see being a lock is Miller.  

Our WR's need a complete overhaul outside of Renfrow.  I like Edwards as a complimentary piece but he has not proven that he should be an NFL starter.  We need two new Wr's on the outside at a minimum. 

RB's are a dime a dozen, I agree with you there.   We should run Jacobs into the ground then move on when his contract is up. 

I also agree we need depth all over, that is a given.  Maxx will be our only long term piece on the DL to build around, our LB's are trash and need to be overhauled, we have Mullin and Hobbs who have looked good at times but are far from proven and our safeties need revamping but have potential in Moehrig.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You pay me millions of guaranteed cash, I'll believe I can compete in the AFC West with Nathan Peterman at QB. 

JM is determined to build a dynasty and has been quite selective about where he wants to do this.  He does not want to fail and has a massive ego.  If this goes wrong he is done coaching in the NFL.  He is not going to a situation that he doesn't think he can have both immediate and long term success. 

He has a QB that he can build around and win with.  I hope you're prepared to see Carr get paid and be behind center for the foreseeable future.  You have been one of the biggest Carr haters on here and now we have a HC who is considered one of the brightest minds in the NFL who is thrilled to build around a Qb who you have called trash for years.

You must be devastated and feel like all of your hate on Carr was completely off base.  Our new HC clearly agrees with my stance on Carr or else he would have never accepted this job.  Once again Frankie is right and you guys love it!!!!

Man it's funny how fandom makes one contort themselves to see a bright side. Not questioning anyone specifically, I know a few would've liked him all along, but you tell this forum one year ago "hey, Gruden is gonna screw his way out of his deal. How would you like Josh McDaniels? " and it would've been a giant shriek.

Knew in my gut JDR wasn't going to go anywhere. Which was fine, that wasn't his job. His job was to build a foundation and get some wins on record and instill confidence. Once it was done he was rightfully let go.

Was cautiously optimistic about Gruden while acknowledging it could go very wrong. Hoped he had changed. He hadn't one bit (in worse ways than just football). We miraculously got out of that deal. 

I just see this as a disaster if it happens. The warning signs are already there. Report of refusing to go to the interview if he isn't offered the job, a GM he has professional seniority over. Agree with Nick about this, you can be friends and trust someone and still have dominion over them (especially if you're the reason they got started in the NFL). You basically have to wish Ziegler will actually have as much power as he should AND that he'll do good with it before even getting to the merits of Josh as coach. There will be struggles along the way and I have zero doubt he's gonna flail if it gets ugly. 

30 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Carr is a top 12 NFL QB as it currently stands.  I am intrigued to see what he does with better coaching and improved weapons.  It is obvious that JM believes he can not only win with Carr but build around him.  Carr will get paid and be behind center for years to come.  Love him or hate him he is our QB.

I disagree with with your Oline assessment.  The only player I see being a lock is Miller.  

Our WR's need a complete overhaul outside of Renfrow.  I like Edwards as a complimentary piece but he has not proven that he should be an NFL starter.  We need two new Wr's on the outside at a minimum. 

RB's are a dime a dozen, I agree with you there.   We should run Jacobs into the ground then move on when his contract is up. 

I also agree we need depth all over, that is a given.  Maxx will be our only long term piece on the DL to build around, our LB's are trash and need to be overhauled, we have Mullin and Hobbs who have looked good at times but are far from proven and our safeties need revamping but have potential in Moehrig.  

James was a top 10 center by the end of the year by PFF's standards. The other positions, I don't think it's crazy to think the way you do about them. They're replaceable but IMO, we can work with them. 

Edwards was very productive before Ruggs was a moron. I have no reason to think he can't be a vital key to this offense. A deep threat, Waller, Renfrow, and Edwards is a pretty damn good combination of receivers IMO. 

I didn't talk about the defense bc I'm curious who our DC will be and if we switch schemes, we will need far more pieces than we do so I'll get to that point later on. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Man it's funny how fandom makes one contort themselves to see a bright side. Not questioning anyone specifically, I know a few would've liked him all along, but you tell this forum one year ago "hey, Gruden is gonna screw his way out of his deal. How would you like Josh McDaniels? " and it would've been a giant shriek.

Knew in my gut JDR wasn't going to go anywhere. Which was fine, that wasn't his job. His job was to build a foundation and get some wins on record and instill confidence. Once it was done he was rightfully let go.

Was cautiously optimistic about Gruden while acknowledging it could go very wrong. Hoped he had changed. He hadn't one bit (in worse ways than just football). We miraculously got out of that deal. 

I just see this as a disaster if it happens. The warning signs are already there. Report of refusing to go to the interview if he isn't offered the job, a GM he has professional seniority over. Agree with Nick about this, you can be friends and trust someone and still have dominion over them (especially if you're the reason they got started in the NFL). You basically have to wish Ziegler will actually have as much power as he should AND that he'll do good with it before even getting to the merits of Josh as coach. There will be struggles along the way and I have zero doubt he's gonna flail if it gets ugly. 

I have never been bullish on any of our coaching hires.... ever.  

Let me ask you what is your alternative here?  Harbaugh and some random GM that he doesn't know.  If this were to happen you would have to assume it would be a Gruden type of contract to land JH who would ultimately have have power over any GM.  

There is an established hierarchy with this hiring with tow guys who know and respect each other.  I like that better than trying to pair a GM/HC who don;t know each other and are bound to have differing philosophies.  

1 hour ago, Raidersrule said:

What was Josh mc picking history in the two years at Denver did they pick best available player or pick what they needed?

They drafted Tebow in the first. They weren’t drafting BPA. 😂😂😂

43 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Be positive with Josh McDaniels is that the weapons we already have are like perfect for what he likes to do. Here are the players I think we're going to really flourish for him:

-Hunter Renfrow

-Jalen Richard

-Waller

-Believe it or not Zay Jones(if they choose to keep him)

-Derek Carr

Really it's just the offensive line that needs to be fixed

42 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree with almost everything here. Unfortunately, I feel most strongly about What you said about Jacobs..you just can’t pay a RB not named Derrick Henry in his prime top dollar. Rarely works out. 
The only thing I don’t agree with is Moehrig. I thought he played pathetic this year. I know he’s a rookie and will improve but I have more hope in leatherwood than Moehrig.