The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Show of hands here as it seems myself, @jpaulthe1st and @agarcia34 are the only ones who have been down with McDaniels from the start. 

We will be here for the rest of you will come on over after it happens and justify it to yourselves. 

Well I aint spoke much on who we should hire. I was just out spoken that is shouldn't be rich. But I have no issues with a josh hire. I think young coaches who sometimes become coaches to early become real good coaches the second time around. I also think Dennis Allen will be a good hire for some one some day. 

• Like 1

Show of hands here as it seems myself, @jpaulthe1st and @agarcia34 are the only ones who have been down with McDaniels from the start. 

We will be here for the rest of you will come on over after it happens and justify it to yourselves. 

Real Raiders fans root for whoever rocks Silver & Black. Don’t got to love every move but at the end of the day I’ll always support. I pray it works out. 

• Like 8

I have my questions but I still like it better than a defensive hire IMO. You need to be able to call good plays in this league and adapt to your personnel. If he can call a good RZ offense, we will be light years ahead of where we are now.

I would say I am in the group that is good with McDaniels but would have preferred Harbaugh. If he wasn't a realistic option, McDaniels would have been right there with Flores in my top 3ish (while acknowledging Flores and Harbaugh are the only two I would consider myself viewing as a homerun). I would have said from the jump give me McDaniels over bringing Rich back, Bowles, Frazier, and some of the other guys out there.

I wouldn't hate the hire. I wouldn't classify it as much of a homerun as Harbaugh. But of the candidates, he is well respected around the league for a reason. And I think your point about it being telling a well run organization like the Colts wanting him to be the HC was a very good one. 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Is anyone else raising an eyebrow to the report that he wouldn't take an interview unless he was being offered a job? I mean, that screams conceded. Granted it's a rumor. But c'mon man. You haven't won Jack squat as a HC and he's acting like he's a Harbaugh/BB/Mike Tomlin, etc. 

It's these things that rub me the wrong way about him. 

I legitimately wonder if that's simply a case of if he accepts an interview he feels Bill will replace him. I feel like I read reports that Belichick was not very happy when he took the interview/job with the Colts. 

It may not be as much conceded as it is knowing the Hoody may look to replace him simply for taking the interview if he takes it and doesn't get the job. Most places I would say that's far fetched, NE, it's possible. Especially if the rumors of McDaniels being the HC in waiting after Bill retires is true. 

Or it could be a combination of both. 

• Like 2

Ok... So what kind of scheme does JM run?  Power blocking? Zone? West coast? I'm a little lost on this.  Would we need big personnel changes on the offensive side of the ball?  

Also, I see a full switch to 3-4 coming with the nickel looks was mentioned before.  How does our roster look in those lineups? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Totty said:

Ok... So what kind of scheme does JM run?  Power blocking? Zone? West coast? I'm a little lost on this.  Would we need big personnel changes on the offensive side of the ball?  

Also, I see a full switch to 3-4 coming with the nickel looks was mentioned before.  How does our roster look in those lineups? 

Our roster closely aligns with what he likes to do. Superior route running shifty slot WR. 2 TE’s who can ball. 2 RB’s who are above average with different skill sets. And a QB who with a good arm that waits for route concepts to open. Carr should be his type of QB, but there’s always a chance he may not want to extend Carr and be married to him like Gruden was. I seriously doubt Carr is playing this year without an extension. 

I’m sure one of his biggest intrigues were our roster fits his scheme. Just need a WR and a couple of OL pieces. 

Im not super excited about the potential hire but i don't hate it either. I think Mcdaniels certainly has all the capabilities to become a great HC if his ego is in check and he doesn't think he's Belicheck 2.0 like last time.  He's always struck me as an entitled brat, but regardless how I feel about his personality there's no denying he's a great coach and there's definitely a reason why he has been sought after by multiple teams it seems like every year.

His stint in Denver was a Gruden-esque debacle but that was a decade ago and hopefully he's learned and grown up. Im just not too keen on us becoming the "Patriot Way" Raiders. Seemingly every team that has tried to mimic that organization has failed miserably. Meh, we'll see. This will either go really well or terribly bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Well I wanted Harbs of course. Wish we had interviewed Flores. But that being said He has to be the best available not named Harbs at this time. I mean 6 rings and his play calling ability is unmatched. Indont like him. Because he was a donkey and a pat. But I think he was the second beat guy. This cycle at least 

• Like 1

You guys know me and I'm typically pessimistic on nearly everything our incompetent front office has done for the last 20 plus years.  I must say that I am cautiously optimistic about this move.

I like the philosophy of hiring a HC/GM combo from one of the greatest ran franchises over the last 20 years.  McDainels has clearly learned a tremendous amount under BB, is considered a strong offensive mind and I can tell the guys breathes football.  This deal would have never worked out unless JM was able to pick his GM in Zeigler and this could be the main reason that he has turned down multiple offers to become another HC.  He would have been going to a team with an established GM, it's hard to know how that combination will work out until they are faced with difficult decisions.  JM clearly understands how critical the GM/HC relationship is to the long term success of a franchise.  These guys know each other and have for years, I like that!

I also like that he has HC experience and had a terrible stint as the coach of the Broncos.  Experiences like that build character!  He also appears to be an ego maniac and is very calculated in his decisions.  He does not want to become a HC again and be embarrassed like he was the first time around.  He has been offered multiple HC positions over the last few years and has turned them all down but he thinks this situation is a place where he can build a legacy.  He's at the right age and if this works out, he could be our HC for the next 25 years.  

Having a veteran Qb who is still in his prime years, is a good leader, smart, accurate, has a quick release and is not carless with the football must have factored heavily into his decision.   He sees what I and many others see in Carr or else he would not make this move.  He believes in Carr like I believe him, he views him as a very talented QB who has worked through tremendous adversity every year, with none greater than this year and was still able to lead this team into the playoffs.  Adversity that included constant coaching turnover, playing on a team with terrible talent especially at the WR position and a decades worst D.  I have a feeling this HC/QB combo is will be the turning point in Carr's career.  

I feel like this is a smart and calculated risk taken by Davis.  He is bringing in a 45 year old HC who is a disciple of BB, the greatest HC in NFL history, who has established a philosophy on how to build a franchise that wins year after year. 

I can't stress how important this HC/GM combo and am sure these two have had this situation planned for years.  Having an established GM in place is most likely the main reason why JM has passed on other HC jobs.  If he accepts a job and is saddled with a terrible GM, a GM who doesn't have the same philosophy, his coaching stint there would end in failure. 

The bottom line is this, JM is taking this job for a few reasons.  The main reason is that he can bring his own GM with him and another major factor is that he has a QB that he believes he can win with right now.  This is why I am cautiously optimistic about the hiring but this this will end one of two ways.  As I have said above, if this works out JM will be our HC for the next 25 years with multiple SB victories and if it doesn't this will end in disaster.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 2