The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Having some time to think about this potential hire I'm quite excited thinking about what our offence could become. We started the year on fire even with an awful OL so if we can add a couple OL and get another good WR that can take the top off the D then we could be really potent.

I do however, have some reservations about McDaniels reputation managing players and how he'll handle a locker room that lived Bisaccia. He seems like a polar opposite character and I'm worried he'll rub people the wrong way. It could really go either way, if we have success early then likely guys will buy in but if we don't it could get ugly.........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Having some time to think about this potential hire I'm quite excited thinking about what our offence could become. We started the year on fire even with an awful OL so if we can add a couple OL and get another good WR that can take the top off the D then we could be really potent.

I do however, have some reservations about McDaniels reputation managing players and how he'll handle a locker room that lived Bisaccia. He seems like a polar opposite character and I'm worried he'll rub people the wrong way. It could really go either way, if we have success early then likely guys will buy in but if we don't it could get ugly.........

Winning early is essential - although he did at Denver and he still managing to take a giant dump with his clothes on 

2 hours ago, raidersedge said:

If Josh McDaniels is the head coach I hope he can get Dante Scarnecchia out of retirement to coach the Oline for a year or two, get us setup and then let a young guy take over. This would be a HUGE hire. 

That’d be epic but most likely not going to happen.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

What I heard is he can't rebuild a team but the Raiders think he can take the team to the next level.

I can agree with that

7 hours ago, NickButera said:

Quick audio snippet of one of his former OT's while in Denver. Seems pretty unbiased, but he certainly has his opinion. 

“I’m a Denver native; I was starting in my hometown, I was miserable, I hated football, I wanted to quit. The secretaries were miserable, the coaches were miserable, it was not a good experience.”-@Tyler_Polumbus on why he hates Josh McDaniels.

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsRadio/status/1487461578421243904/video/1

Happy Birthday! This is a milestone birthday, enjoy it.

When you hear this kind of stuff, it really speaks to hiring a guy to young. Managing people is a hard thing. Learning it takes time. When your example is Bill Belichick, that shadow really looms large. I can see where the guys are groomed in "the Patriot way" and think they can replicate that. But that only works because the head guy is a respected winner.

You just hope that JM has matured, understands he has to form his own culture and be himself. 

I can certainly see where at 32, the youngest HC hire at the time,  where he would come in an think to earn respect he has to act older and harder than he really is. 

It's certainly a risk. I do think having Carr will really help in this instance. Carr knows that locker room and if they can put wins together early, the buy in from the team could come quick.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Happy Birthday! This is a milestone birthday, enjoy it.

When you hear this kind of stuff, it really speaks to hiring a guy to young. Managing people is a hard thing. Learning it takes time. When your example is Bill Belichick, that shadow really looms large. I can see where the guys are groomed in "the Patriot way" and think they can replicate that. But that only works because the head guy is a respected winner.

You just hope that JM has matured, understands he has to form his own culture and be himself. 

I can certainly see where at 32, the youngest HC hire at the time,  where he would come in an think to earn respect he has to act older and harder than he really is. 

It's certainly a risk. I do think having Carr will really help in this instance. Carr knows that locker room and if they can put wins together early, the buy in from the team could come quick.

I heard Brandon Marshall on Pardon My Take a few days ago, mentioned McDaniels for 10 seconds or something. Basically said the same thing. But was interesting was he said he's the smartest guys X's and O's he's ever seen, and probably the smartest guy in the league. And that was from his Denver days. Kinda crazy. 

15 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I heard Brandon Marshall on Pardon My Take a few days ago, mentioned McDaniels for 10 seconds or something. Basically said the same thing. But was interesting was he said he's the smartest guys X's and O's he's ever seen, and probably the smartest guy in the league. And that was from his Denver days. Kinda crazy. 

That's encouraging to hear. I keep talking myself into what this offense could potentially be with him coaching and it does get me a little excited about it. Just hope he's matured. That was another gripe I had with Harbaugh and I'll definitely have it with McD as well until he proves otherwise

• Like 1

16 hours ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Stopping being a fan would be like saying I have something better to do on Sunday’s and I don’t believe for a second most of y’all have anything better to do…

I've actually been watching less football and missed non Sunday Raider games a few times the past few years. Something happened to me when Mack was traded. My one and only live game was opening night right after he was traded and I thought about not going but figured it was my last chance to see the Oakland Raiders play. I can see the Raiders play in Vegas but notice how I said the names. That's intentional just like when the Raiders played in LA. I lived there too at a point but They will only be the Oakland Raiders or the Raiders.

Each season had it's issues since Mack was traded. I'm glad we made the playoffs and had a chance to win but we clearly were not the better team and got beat.  Had we won then GM/HC would have waited another season IMO. At least anyone we get is getting a team that made the playoffs in a season of turmoil. McDaniels I think can make Carr go from good QB who has elite and bonehead moments to erasing the bonehead and consistently being elite. McDaniels did great with a rookie QB and with Brady they game planned like no other team so I trust those aspects. A great OL coach would make what we've got better but I'm still adding to the pieces of that puzzle. If Leatherwood became a swing T/G because we added better players, I would not complain. He can improve and EARN a starting position. I think he will be fine but I don't want him handed a job because of draft position. Miller is the only player who is set IMO. 

Defense is another story. If we run a 3/4 then I could see us trading Maxx. I think he could play in any system but not be as effective. Would love him to be a Bruce Smith DE but maybe OLB is where he would play and I don't think OLB's should just pass rush. He and Yannick both seem to be pass rushers so I'm not sure how that would work out. 

I think McDaniels in Vegas and Harbaugh in Minny are better fits than the other way around. Gruden experience is why I think Harbaugh wasn't brought in. A lot of money long term and EGO. McDaniels I doubt stands out above Carr as Jim and Gruden would. 

EDIT: If McDaniels 'Indys' us I'm fine with it. lol 

Edited by G

7 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Wonder how much Maxx would net us? Similar to Mack you'd think, not worth it though. We'd need to use the first on a pass rusher anyway 

I don't want to lose him but he'll either need to get paid soon or traded when his value is highest which is now. Lots of upside and Jared Allen sober type of possibility in the right system. jimkelly made some points I saw after I posted that would be nice to see with that DC. Could try it out first if not paid before the season.