Madden 22 Franchise - Lions GM

MKnight82

13 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

My $.02: with all of the draft capital you've amassed over the last few years, it may have been better to hold onto Ragnow and give another full season with that elite OLine. Rogers will undoubtedly be a stud down the road, but learning behind Frank for one would likely provide more immediate rewards.

Problem is, I'm pretty sure players progress more by playing, having the player on the team in Madden to learn from doesn't help them really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Problem is, I'm pretty sure players progress more by playing, having the player on the team in Madden to learn from doesn't help them really.

Definitely. (Although 'mentorship' does exist in this Madden.) I just think I'd set Rogers as one of my focus players and let him develop a bit while still getting elite play from Ragnow for another year. The drop from 91 to 70 is massive.

3 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Definitely. (Although 'mentorship' does exist in this Madden.) I just think I'd set Rogers as one of my focus players and let him develop a bit while still getting elite play from Ragnow for another year. The drop from 91 to 70 is massive.

Kind of.  It's just random.  Ragnow could "mentor" any young linemen.  Anecdotally, it seems like the vet lineman will mentor a young starter at another position more than they will their own backup.  

Just now, OkeyDoke21 said:

Kind of.  It's just random.  Ragnow could "mentor" any young linemen.  Anecdotally, it seems like the vet lineman will mentor a young starter at another position more than they will their own backup.  

Yeah, definitely. My point was more along the lines that Rogers could gain some experience through other means, and that having a 91 rated center on the field (for a team that has playoff aspirations) is a significant benefit over having a 70 rated rookie out there instead. Is that vastly superior play worth a bit more experience in the short term? I think so.

13 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

My $.02: with all of the draft capital you've amassed over the last few years, it may have been better to hold onto Ragnow and give another full season with that elite OLine. Rogers will undoubtedly be a stud down the road, but learning behind Frank for one would likely provide more immediate rewards.

My ultimate goal is to replace all of the original roster with cpu generated players I've drafted.  Ragnow was one of the last hold out on that. Plus at 30 years old he was going to start declining and he was on the last year of his contract. I know what you're saying but it was either get a 1st round pick now or let him walk for nothing in the offseason. 

The final holdouts are Sewell, Hockenson and Okudah. I will try to replace all of these guys in the upcoming drafts.  I've been trying to replace Hockenson and Okuah for awhile but just haven't landed any studs in the draft at those positions despite trying many times. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

My ultimate goal is to replace all of the original roster with cpu generated players I've drafted.  Ragnow was one of the last hold out on that. Plus at 30 years old he was going to start declining and he was on the last year of his contract. I know what you're saying but it was either get a 1st round pick now or let him walk for nothing in the offseason. 

The final holdouts are Sewell, Hockenson and Okudah. I will try to replace all of these guys in the upcoming drafts.  I've been trying to replace Hockenson and Okuah for awhile but just haven't landed any studs in the draft at those positions despite trying many times. 

Very interesting. Makes sense.

My only concern would be the immediate drop from 91 to 70. It would've been cool to have this conversation before you moved through this season: trying each could've told us if the decline at C would've made any impact whatsoever.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Very interesting. Makes sense.

My only concern would be the immediate drop from 91 to 70. It would've been cool to have this conversation before you moved through this season: trying each could've told us if the decline at C would've made any impact whatsoever.

I've only simmed like 13 weeks so far, but my record doesn't look very good.  It seems to be more on the defense than offense though. 

• Like 1

CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS

TE TJ Hockenson (88) - 2 year deal, $4.5 mil salary, $5.0 mil SB, $8.87 Y1 cap hit, $18.9 mil Total

- I wanted him back on a short term deal.  I need to draft his replacement as he's aging. 

LG Chance Freeman (86) - 6 year deal, $6.6 mil salary, $3.85 mil SB, $7.82 Y1 cap hit, $63.0 mil Total

- He's a Superstar olineman and one of the young building blocks on my team. 

RE Jason McGowan (84) - 3 year deal, $4.8 mil salary, $5.90 mil SB, $9.47 Y1 cap hit, $32.0 mil Total

- I was just going to let him walk but this really isn't that expensive.  

LE Deangelo Osgood (83) - 5 year deal, $4.7 mil salary, $4.10 mil SB, $6.67 Y1 cap hit, $43.8 mil Total

- He's a versatile player who can play DE and DT.  

FS Zach Cobb (83) - 5 year deal, $2.5 mil salary, $1.85 mil SB, $3.20 Y1 cap hit, $21.5 mil Total

- He's not amazing but this is super cheap. Honestly at this price I could even keep him as a backup if necessary. 

CB Jelani Smallwood (82) - 5 year deal, $3.5 mil salary, $2.85 mil SB, $4.76 Y1 cap hit, $31.5 mil Total

- He hasn't developed into the stud I was hoping for, but at this price he's worth keeping around long term.

OC Troy Driver (77) - 2 year deal, $5.1 mil salary, $2.85 mil SB, $7.24 Y1 cap hit, $15.8 mil Total

- This is expensive for a backup but he's too good to just let walk.  He'll probably end up trade bait down the line. 

RE Will McMullen (75) - 2 year deal, $2.5 mil salary, $2.25 mil SB, $4.38 Y1 cap hit, $9.4 mil Total

- Like Driver, short term depth, long term play is trade bait. 

QB Garrett Clayton (72) - 3 year deal, $1.5 mil salary, $700k SB, $1.79 Y1 cap hit, $6.45 mil Total

- This is super cheap for a QB. 

LG Eric McCloud (70) - 5 year deal, $1.2 mil salary, $350k SB, $986k Y1 cap hit, $7.50 mil Total

- Cheap long term backup. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

Dang, you have 2 TJ Hockenson's, they are both TE's, and both 88 OVR?  How do you tell them apart? Isn't that a lot to pay 2 TE's?  Kidding of course, but you do have him listed twice in contracts.  Seems like a decent contract for Freeman.  He will probably be the best OL in the league by end of it.