2021-2022 NBA GDT Thread: Wolf Pit Assemble

NYRaider

Just now, CWood21 said:

And I stand by that statement.  That doesn't mean that I thought Cade was a generational prospect.

We can move the goal posts all day but we all know that everyone on here and in the MSM was acting like Cade was way better than Green or Mobley. I was probably one of 10 people on planet earth that knew Jalen Green was clearly a better prospect.

Just now, NYRaider said:

We can move the goal posts all day but we all know that everyone on here and in the MSM was acting like Cade was way better than Green or Mobley. I was probably one of 10 people on planet earth that knew Jalen Green was clearly a better prospect.

That's not moving goalposts.  Cade was viewed as a better prospect.  Jalen Green was viewed as the higher upside player.  Evan Mobley was viewed as the most talented, but also played a less valuable position.  All those statements can be true.  There's more to evaluations than just pure upside.

Just now, CWood21 said:

That's not moving goalposts.  Cade was viewed as a better prospect.  Jalen Green was viewed as the higher upside player.  Evan Mobley was viewed as the most talented, but also played a less valuable position.  All those statements can be true.  There's more to evaluations than just pure upside.

There was no reason for Cade to be considered a better prospect then Jalen Green.

Just now, NYRaider said:

There was no reason for Cade to be considered a better prospect then Jalen Green.

Except there was.  If you legitimately thought that Cade Cunningham was Brandon Roy before the knees broke down, he absolutely would have ranked #1 overall.  I think you're forgetting that Brandon Roy was a budding star until his knees broke.  After his 3rd year in the league, the only you might have taken over Brandon Roy would have been LaMarcus Aldridge.  But you probably still would have taken Roy.  If Jalen Green is nothing more than what MPJ is right now, would you take that or Brandon Roy?

Just now, CWood21 said:

Except there was.  If you legitimately thought that Cade Cunningham was Brandon Roy before the knees broke down, he absolutely would have ranked #1 overall.  I think you're forgetting that Brandon Roy was a budding star until his knees broke.  After his 3rd year in the league, the only you might have taken over Brandon Roy would have been LaMarcus Aldridge.  But you probably still would have taken Roy.  If Jalen Green is nothing more than what MPJ is right now, would you take that or Brandon Roy?

Jalen Green and Michael Porter Jr are not similar players at all. Green is 6'6" with Ja Morant's bounce/movement ability while MPJ is a 6'10" combo forward that's a good but not elite athlete. The entire upside and argument for Cade being the best prospect in the draft was that everyone thought he was a 6'8" PG/primary ball handler. He doesn't have the passing ability or handle to do that in the NBA. Green's upside is a 30+ ppg scorer.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Jalen Green and Michael Porter Jr are not similar players at all. Green is 6'6" with Ja Morant's bounce/movement ability while MPJ is a 6'10" combo forward that's a good but not elite athlete. The entire upside and argument for Cade being the best prospect in the draft was that everyone thought he was a 6'8" PG/primary ball handler. He doesn't have the passing ability or handle to do that in the NBA. Green's upside is a 30+ ppg scorer.

You can keep citing Ja Morant every time you want to praise Jalen Green, but that doesn't make the comparison even close either.  And I was more or less referring to the instant-offense, but lackluster defense and doesn't quite do anything else quite well.

Just now, CWood21 said:

You can keep citing Ja Morant every time you want to praise Jalen Green, but that doesn't make the comparison even close either.  And I was more or less referring to the instant-offense, but lackluster defense and doesn't quite do anything else quite well.

Jalen Green's movement ability at his size is literally unreal. And why can't Green develop into a good defender? I'd assume given their physical profiles that Jalen has more potential defensively then Cade does.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Jalen Green's movement ability at his size is literally unreal. And why can't Green develop into a good defender? I'd assume given their physical profiles that Jalen has more potential defensively then Cade does.

I'm not saying he can't.  But the list of elite two-way players is pretty damn short.  I'm having issues with you taking the most extreme positive scenario for one player, and the most extreme pessimistic scenario for another.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

cade has actually been pretty good defensively in both games and he was a menace in summer league

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not saying he can't.  But the list of elite two-way players is pretty damn short.  I'm having issues with you taking the most extreme positive scenario for one player, and the most extreme pessimistic scenario for another.

I was joking about Cade being Kyle Anderson's brother and explained to @beekay414 how his situation was pretty poor this year which will likely hurt his production but you must have skipped that part.