Should Brian Flores be put on the hotseat?

biggie.

7 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Pass catchers

I mean they may be an average group. It’s not anything I’d write home about. Even with Fuller I’d say average . 

I don’t see a plus group on that team except for the CBs. 

Idk why Flores’ position would be in question when his team is severely lacking in talent , and his QB making terrible decisions. Miami shoulda won by a TD today if not for Tua.

16 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I mean they may be an average group. It’s not anything I’d write home about. Even with Fuller I’d say average . 

I don’t see a plus group on that team except for the CBs. 

Idk why Flores’ position would be in question when his team is severely lacking in talent , and his QB making terrible decisions. Miami shoulda won by a TD today if not for Tua.

Gesicki is one of the best playmaker TEs in the NFL. Waddle’s made very nice plays and leads rookies in receptions. Parker is very good when healthy. If the OL could block better, we’d get more deep routes going.

The front 7 is decent. Probably a league average group.

3 high picks have been spent on the OL with various results. The OL has talent but has a probable 1st round bust.

It’d be nice to add more of a prototype RB. The current group are overachievers but don’t scare anyone.

Tua doesn’t have the arm to carry the team, IMO. By my count he’s made only 4 bad decisions in the past 2 games (out of  a whopping 85 attempts) but they’ve resulted in 3 INTs. I’m not sure much can be done about him or is in real need of replacing. We have 2 firsts in 23’, so maybe something will happen there.

The DB play has probably been the most disappointing group thus far because so much has been expected of them.

Edited by Tetsujin

The Dolphins are taking this regression season stuff a bit too far. The 1-4 start didn't surprise me at all. But losing to both Jacksonville and Atlanta is shockingly inept. I expected two wins and one by big margin.

At least the pointspread finally caught up. The +2.5 today was extreme value, even though it barely cashed. At the end of the season when I chart every game for pointspread purposes Miami getting 2.5 at home to Atlanta is going to stand out among the top 5-7% value of all games this season. I've done this for 37 years so it's easy to identify in real time.

Even if Miami had held on at the end, the high water mark of the season would be two wins by 1 point apiece. That is ridiculous after 7 games. Normal distribution should include huge efforts well above expectation.

Tua would be fine if his arm strength improves the vital 5%. That is the key variable with many young quarterbacks including Mac Jones. Passing is so paramount now that the tight window throws have to be available. It was always obvious that Joe Burrow already had just enough. That's why it was nonsense when Burrow's mph were ridiculed by doubters. 

Miami made some very poor evaluations on defense. That maims the team now. You never want to be a sucker for late season surge from a previously unheralded player. That's what happened with Andrew Van Ginkel last year, and led to the ousting of Van Noy. Van Ginkel is basically irrelevant every week. More importantly Raekwon Davis can't play at all unless he's over nose and asked to do nothing except use his size and leverage to stand up the center and push him back. That tactic is very disruptive and effective in Flores' defense. Somehow the Dolphins were dense enough to believe their own press clippings and the hype regarding Davis' rookie season. They are now trying to use him at traditional defensive tackle, where he has no awareness or agility at all.

10 hours ago, FinSting said:

Three losses due to a last-second FG is not Hot Seat material. Those are close games with no quit.

I'd be worried about who they've been against though.

You could argue the Dolphins shouldn't be in the position of hoping a FG doesn't beat them vs Jacksonville and Atlanta

14 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Where? Outside of the CBs, where’s the talent ? 

There is little if any threat on the defensive line.  Very difficult to win in this league when you can rarely disrupt the play of the opposing quarterback in the pocket.  Wilkins and Davis haven't developed sufficiently to provide that, Ogbah is good but not dominant, Van Ginkel is nowhere, and Phillips is a developing rookie.  They're at the point where the need to routinely scheme pressure on opposing QBs with Baker and Eguavoen.  The safety blitz and sack by Holland yesterday was a good example of what they need to start doing more often, because the defensive line isn't getting it on their own.  At least go down swinging and hope you can make some of the game-changing plays you had last year.  The offensive passing game isn't good enough to win on its own.  This team has to stifle the opposing passing game to win.

Trigger happy fans and owners destroy teams. Coaches, like players,have down seasons. If you hire a guy and he has shown capable, let him work through a rough stretch. Firing him only creates an issue where the next HC or GM is going to want to blow up the whole team or install a new scheme that won't fit the players you already have. Inevitably it results in a massive waste of resources that could have been better used helping the guy you already had.

Obviously, at some point failures need to be held accountable but this is way too soon in the case of Flores.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You could argue the Dolphins shouldn't be in the position of hoping a FG doesn't beat them vs Jacksonville and Atlanta

I'm more worried about the two bajillion-dollar DB contracts and yet the team cannot stop the pass. Like how TF did a supposed strength become a glaring weakness? Lately the horrid offensive line is playing half-decent (other than 1st-rd-pick LT/LG bust Jackson) and giving Tua time to put up points but now it's the defense that's sinking the ship. 

It's like whack-a-mole, fix one thing and some other problem pops up. What a rough season. 

5 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

But losing to both Jacksonville and Atlanta is shockingly inept. I expected two wins and one by big margin.

I thought Miami was a good team, but they were basically the same level as the Falcons (though, I expected the falcons to win even with it in Miami, because Atlanta matches up well.)

28 minutes ago, FinSting said:

I'm more worried about the two bajillion-dollar DB contracts and yet the team cannot stop the pass. Like how TF did a supposed strength become a glaring weakness? Lately the horrid offensive line is playing half-decent (other than 1st-rd-pick LT/LG bust Jackson) and giving Tua time to put up points but now it's the defense that's sinking the ship. 

It's like whack-a-mole, fix one thing and some other problem pops up. What a rough season. 

They played poorly defending the pass last year against the better passing teams they faced, while feasting on the weaker passing teams.  They got by last year largely on defensive takeaways, which is largely a random variable that can't be replicated reliably from year to year.  What we're seeing this year is the same poor pass defense minus the stellar takeaway rate.  With Brissett and a well below-average passing offense, that was a recipe for disaster.  With Tua and an average passing offense, it's a recipe for nail-biter wins or losses, as has been every complete game he's played this year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I thought Miami was a good team, but they were basically the same level as the Falcons (though, I expected the falcons to win even with it in Miami, because Atlanta matches up well.)

Sometimes a team's quality is belied by its won-loss record early in the season, as they perform well with regard to other correlates of winning but have perhaps "fluke" losses.  Not so with this team.  They're poor with regard to won-loss record and the strongest correlates of winning.  Their won-loss record is who they are.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I would argue Atlanta is a more complete team than Jacksonville. They have no defense, but the offense in Atlanta is actually pretty damn good. 

29 minutes ago, FinSting said:

The Falcons were a great matchup for them. The things Miami does well, the Falcons actually could counter. The things the Falcons do well, Miami had trouble with. Flukiness of the Ryan INT and the Ryan fumble not withstanding, the Falcons just beat Miami. The game shouldn't have even been as close as it was.

3 minutes ago, The Guy said:

Sometimes a team's quality is belied by its won-loss record early in the season, as they perform well with regard to other correlates of winning but have perhaps "fluke" losses.  Not so with this team.  They're poor with regard to won-loss record and the strongest correlates of winning.  Their won-loss record is who they are.

I completely agree. And Sometimes, a team with a first year head coach underperforms because he's still learning. The Falcons 3 wins are because they played 3 objectively bad teams early on in the NY teams and Miami. Miami and Atlanta feel like the same level team right now, though. I thought they were better. The Falcons are objectively bad, but it's more because the defense is atrocious and the offense is still gelling and learning. While Miami is bad because they're just bad.