Should Brian Flores be put on the hotseat?

biggie.

10 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Miami's OU on wins was 8.5 right? That was an easy under pick.

It was actually 9 with very high juice on the over...-150. 

The vast majority of online predictions favored the over. I've been aware of regression scenarios for more than 35 years but somehow the concept never enters the thought process among NFL fans. All they look at is personnel and somehow rationalize that all the ingredients toward the overachieving season were supposed to happen and will continue to happen.

Brian Flores should not be fired. Flores has made a few mistakes, like the ridiculous punter switch that continues to burn the team every week. Flores is not aggressive enough on 4th down over the bulk of the game. But overall this team maintains a toughness and smarts that has been lacking over the past decade or more. The problem is Chris Grier. He has wasted premium picks and should be jettisoned. Trading your own first round pick into the teeth of a regression scenario is all the evidence that Grier is clueless. Once that arrow is in the wrong direction the bottom line can extend well beyond the logical parameters. I have seen that for 35+ years and mentioned it on Finheaven as soon as that pick was traded. Grier is obviously one of those dolts who looks at personnel only and can't contemplate any other variable.

Miami is still going to win a heck of a lot more games than most are forecasting right now. This is still a midlevel Crowd team not a Crap team. One of the classic errors is to be too quick to shift teams from one classification to another. Ignoring results is the proper approach, far more often than not. 

Still, that Jaguars result was the first one that surprised me this season. Miami gave it away by not capitalizing on first half advantage. At 10-3 and first and goal at the 10 midway second quarter, a touchdown there and the game is all but out of reach for Jacksonville. Rookie quarterbacks do not overcome 14 point deficits. And once you reach 24+ points against a rookie quarterback your odds of success are overwhelming. Getting to 17 in the first half makes you a huge favorite to eventually reach that 24+.  I'm not sure NFL teams are aware of basics like that as opposed to mindlessly coaching the game in tunnel vision fashion. Analytics have arrived but maintain in infancy.

Once Miami got stuck at 13 instead of 17 Jacksonville's math received a big boost. Then Noah Igbinoghene took it even higher by allowing the deep touchdown just before half. A 13-10 lead is markedly altered favoritism compared to 13-3 or 13-6.

It was actually quite incredible that Lawrence picked on Igbinoghene only a few times. A veteran quarterback would have been unmerciful. Noah sticks tight but has no instincts or ball skills whatsoever. College quarterbacks won't throw it there because they have so many superior options. Lawrence is still playing like a college kid looking for receivers prancing wide open. Meanwhile an elite NFL veteran understands that close but clueless equates to no risk at all.

Edited by Awsi Dooger
  • Like 3

Flo (and his entire staff) have been terrible so far this year.  There is no way to sugarcoat it.  Injuries have played a significant role in several of the losses this year, but the coaching has done absolutely nothing to help out and that needs to change if Flo is going to last to next season and beyond.

22 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Miami's OU on wins was 8.5 right? That was an easy under pick.

Agreed. They were my preseason pick to underwhelm simply because of how good Flores did with them last year. They had no business doing as well as they did last year on paper IMO.

The Jaguars really screwed up in that game also. Late third quarter they led 17-13 and had 3rd and 1 at the Miami 10. As a Dolphins fan I'm expecting the automatic quick aggressive run toward Raekwon Davis. He is a big guy but hardly agile and therefore horrible in short yardage situations. Davis had already been abused at the goal line earlier. Actually he's much worse at the goal line than further upfield because he always takes the wrong angle or allows himself to be submarined.

Somehow the Jaguars brainstormed the always-clever roll right play. Let's voluntarily cut off half the field on ourselves. Do teams ever actually check the success rate of roll right? If so they'd never do it. Great quarterbacks make everything work. For anyone else roll right is a significant forfeiture.

Now on 4th and 1 Miami has gotten a reprieve and gets energetic knowing they only need one stop. Jacksonville obliges with a slow developing run that was stuffed. Meyer reminds me of Saban in the NFL in that lots of his poor decisions would be fine in college, where the outmanned team won't stop roll right or a slow developing run on 4th and 1.

It actually would have been a markedly more interesting game if the Jaguars led 24-13. I would have liked to have seen how Tua would have handled it. So far this year Tua's full games have featured a strange mixture of two drives that march smack down the field looking unstoppable, surrounded by lots of frustrating missed opportunities.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:06 PM, DannyB said:

Wait. You think they're playing DOWN to their talent level? So even after two full season, and a third offseason, he still only has a squad worthy of a 1-5 record? Uhhh, maybe he SHOULD be on the hot seat then?

Is he the GM?

I think he has proven that he can build a great culture, and make them overperform. Not a small feat!

Just because, this season they're playing down to their talent level (a season in which they have played a lot of games without their starting QB), it doesn't mean he should be on the hot seat.

It would actually be a dumb move, if they fire him after this season.

On 10/17/2021 at 1:13 PM, biggie. said:

Their recent loss to the laughable Jaguars wasn't a couple plays going the Jaguars' way; Flores was thoroughly outcoached by Urban Meyer, whom could have been fired before the end of his first season.

The Jags won via FG as time expired and Miami was missing CB1, CB2, WR1, and WR2. Of course 1 play would’ve changed the game. The Jags did get a very improbable bomb TD at the end of the first half and had the craziest made FG I ever saw. Miami lost as time expired today and also lost an OT game. They could easily have 3-4 wins already.

But to answer your question, I think the assistant coaches and the GM share the biggest blame, but because Flores is involved in making the coaching hires, then that’s where the biggest blame on him comes into play. The GM Grier needs to go.

It’s hard to believe that Flores can’t coach based on 19’ and 20’. He had one of the least talented teams in NFL history in 19’ and rattled off 5 wins in the second half of the season.

I think the owner should hire a legit football consultant to evaluate everything. 

Edited by Tetsujin