Trade Deadline

Aztec Hammer

3 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I have to agree.  I don't know how Washington could even consider letting him go, unless they didn't have the cap space to keep him.  They should (and should have already) given him a long term deal.  I would be thrilled to get just a competent QB, and he fits the bill.

Would it be wrong to sign him AND take a QB 1 overall?  Would not be my first option, but I can't say that I would be mad.

He's far better than competent.

I feel like people still think of him as the MSU version.

The NFL version is completing 70% of his passes and has thrown for 5k yards.

He's a legit pro bowler.

If they sign him, I'd trade down from 1 for future firsts and seconds and continue building the roster.

I'd be tempted to do, if Washington tags/franchises him, trade 2 2nds or our second 1st and our last 2nd for Cousins, sign him to a 5 year deal, and just roll with it.

Meanwhile, we trade the #1 overall pick, acquire a future 1st and 2nd, and then draft Barkley, and still have 3 more picks in the 1st 2 rounds of the 2018 draft.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He's a legit pro bowler.

If they sign him, I'd trade down from 1 for future firsts and seconds and continue building the roster.

If we're able to get Cousins, then trading down would make a lot of sense. But I can't lie, part of me would be intrigued to see Barkley and Cousins on the same roster.

But like I said, I'm not all too hopeful that Cousins will come here.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I'd be tempted to do, if Washington tags/franchises him, trade 2 2nds or our second 1st and our last 2nd for Cousins, sign him to a 5 year deal, and just roll with it.

Meanwhile, we trade the #1 overall pick, acquire a future 1st and 2nd, and then draft Barkley, and still have 3 more picks in the 1st 2 rounds of the 2018 draft.

Regardless, you still have to convince Cousins that he wants to spend the rest of his prime in Cleveland before executing any transaction. Jo trade like that would happen as a possible high paid one year rental. Or, maybe I should put nothing past this organization.

Just now, NateDawg said:

Regardless, you still have to convince Cousins that he wants to spend the rest of his prime in Cleveland before executing any transaction. Jo trade like that would happen as a possible high paid one year rental. Or, maybe I should put nothing past this organization.

Easy solution to convince him:

1488788456_breaking-bad-money.gif

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He's a legit pro bowler.

I wouldn't hate the signing. It would be very good value getting him for nothing. I think he's a Top 15 QB, so a bit better than average. But I also think this team has been so bad for so long that part of me wants a bigger payoff than Kirk Cousins. I think he'd make the team more respectable for the next half a decade or so but won't really bring any tangible playoff success. He's 22-26 career record. Washington isn't a particularly good team but they're not a bad team. I think he is what he is. A solid QB but just a guy when you put him against someone like a Wentz.

I'd rather take the plunge and spend the first pick on the best 20 year old QB in the draft. For the sake of it, I'll say that's Darnold. He'd have a lower floor and could be useless but he has a higher ceiling and could be one of the best in the league. With 10 years more play in him than Cousins.

We've been bad for so long, I'd rather take the risk to be great than settle for mediocrity with slight variance periods of a little better and a little worse.

why cant we just make cousins the highest paid QB in league history?  We have a ton of cap space with a roster full of guys on rookie contracts for a while.  Money talks and I doubt kirk takes way less to play somewhere else.  By the time his massive contract is running out our young player will need new contracts

15 minutes ago, bigbluejt said:

why cant we just make cousins the highest paid QB in league history?  We have a ton of cap space with a roster full of guys on rookie contracts for a while.  Money talks and I doubt kirk takes way less to play somewhere else.  By the time his massive contract is running out our young player will need new contracts

We could offer it, but he doesn't have to accept it.

The guy makes 25 million and drives a shtheap van he bought from his grandmother for 5k, money isn't his primary driver methinks.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We could offer it, but he doesn't have to accept it.

The guy makes 25 million and drives a shtheap van he bought from his grandmother for 5k, money isn't his primary driver methinks.

I agree but also if money wasn't a factor then why hasn't he taken any of the long term offers from redskins?  Every guy says money doesn't matter until it is time to sign a contract and then to vast majority money matters.  If it is a respect thing for him then nothing shows respect more then being the highest paid QB in league history.  I don't think he is worth that much money but we need a QB bad and have a boat load of cash to burn.

If Darnold doesn't want to play for Cleveland, I'm all in on Kirk. Sam Darnold is the only QB that I'd rather spend the first pick on than get Cousins got free. I don't think Rosen with the first is better value than Cousins for nothing. Jackson/Mayfield/Allen - all too risky.

There's no doubting the ransom you can get for that first pick. And I wouldn't take Barkley with it. I'd drop back for a boatload so a team like the Giants (Rosen) or Jags (Jackson) can get the QB they want. Then load up to give Cousins a team to work with.

1 minute ago, bigbluejt said:

I agree but also if money wasn't a factor then why hasn't he taken any of the long term offers from redskins?  Every guy says money doesn't matter until it is time to sign a contract and then to vast majority money matters.  If it is a respect thing for him then nothing shows respect more then being the highest paid QB in league history.  I don't think he is worth that much money but we need a QB bad and have a boat load of cash to burn.

He doesn't want to commit there long term?

Theyre low balling him?

There's a difference between being money driven and wanting to be paid a salary befitting your skills and talent.

Archived