Trade Deadline

Aztec Hammer

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

According to Pro Football Talk, Dee Haslem went nuclear after this blown trade and the ownership has taken Hue's side as opposed to Sashi and DePo and will decide their fate. Wow...Hue really has the wool pulled over a lot of people's eyes. This is embarrassing.

Per a source, which means more media leaks from a coaching staff increasingly desperate to control the narrative.

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

Sounds logical enough, but I think the people who want to blame the front office for this already had the pitchforks out and torches lit.

These same people are ups in arms over Sashi leaving the building at 5 on the eve of the deadline, as if a whole 24 hour world of communication isn't available in his pocket.

It's unfortunate the level of desperation that one must seek in order to find a reason to want to fire Sashi Brown.

It seems that way, from the outside. Scapegoats.

However, if that IS true, that NE's front office didn't want to work with CLE's front office (Mike seems to think it's because of all the levels. Like you don't just talk to Haslam, you have to talk to multiple people, then they have to consult someone, so on and so on) and you've ended up missing out on a potential franchise QB because of that.....that's got to be a red light, surely?

38 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It seems that way, from the outside. Scapegoats.

However, if that IS true, that NE's front office didn't want to work with CLE's front office (Mike seems to think it's because of all the levels. Like you don't just talk to Haslam, you have to talk to multiple people, then they have to consult someone, so on and so on) and you've ended up missing out on a potential franchise QB because of that.....that's got to be a red light, surely?

No doubt the structure is confusing, but I wouldn't consider it prohibitive. Plenty of trades have been made successfully.

I think Lombardi embellishes on all things Cleveland, for obvious reasons.

Any sensible person can see this  coaching staff has done a poor job with QBs, and for that and many other reasons is not long for this world. So why send your player here to be mishandled?

Hue has a history of desperate moves at QB, and hearing Shanahan say that Jimmy might not even play this year tells me all I need to know that Bill made the smart choice.

I'm honestly in the camp now that we may as well throw a crap ton of money at a 30 year old Kirk Cousins, who will be solid for 5-8 more years if current trends play out correctly, and then use a bunch of draft capital to do more of the same and build this horrific roster, especially at the skill positions on the offensive side and the secondary on defense.

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm honestly in the camp now that we may as well throw a crap ton of money at a 30 year old Kirk Cousins, who will be solid for 5-8 more years if current trends play out correctly, and then use a bunch of draft capital to do more of the same and build this horrific roster, especially at the skill positions on the offensive side and the secondary on defense.

We should absolutely do that. I’d have no hesitation giving him 25M a year. I don’t care if he’s average-above average. We need that. 30 means nothing. QBs are just entering their prime at 30. We’d have an 8 year window. 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Kirk Cousins is far and away the best option we have, but you have to wonder if he'd even consider playing here.

From the outside it would look like he'd be putting the nail in his own coffin to do so.

I'd write him a freaking blank check and tell him to send us a picture/copy of his highest offer and we'll pay him $5 million more per year. If he has us over a barrel I wouldn't even care at this point.

1 minute ago, ditchdigger said:

Cousins is definitely in play now. 

I would still draft a QB, just not at 1.

As bad as Kizer has been and as ANTI Kizer as I am (VERY much so), I'd consider, under my dream scenario where we sign Kirk Cousins, keeping Kizer as a backup & hope he develops, and then drafting another kid in the 3rd-7th range as a project/3rd stringer.

Cousins is just the jump start that this organization could use for:

*The Team/Organization

*The Fanbase

*The National Media/others

*Potential Future Free Agents

*Other skilled/potentially skilled offensive skill positions we've drafted/will draft

Signing Cousins is the obvious #1 option. We have the cap, and that gives the team the obvious flexibility to use those high draft picks to actually give our QB weapons. 

With that said, with Jimmy G off the market and settled in San Fran, Cousins should be the number 1 option for a handful of teams that could want a QB.

Teams that need QB:

Jacksonville (possibly QB away from being very good)

New York Jets

Denver

Then, there’s Washington, which could always keep him. Lastly, there’s a group of teams with established QBs that could either want to upgrade or move on to the younger QBOTF.

Buffalo

San Diego

New York Giants 

Arizona

Indianapolis is even an option if the Colts are that worried about Luck’s future. 

I’d love Cousins. Then go get Barkley (could probably even trade back a couple picks and let another team draft their QBOTF at 1) and a bunch of other offensive guys to help out. It’s still a long shot in my mind though. 

Usually the annual joke during our bye week is that “at least we don’t lose this week.” Well, somehow this team has managed to lose this week. It’s been a week of embarrassment. Rumored front office/HC turmoil. A failed trade with a narrative of incompetence. Rumors of an angry owner (no surprise). A 2nd round QB who was nearly replaced (again); this time by a backup from Cincinnati. Wasn’t Hue a QB guru? That guy is a real master of rhetoric to have convinced us all of that. The way that position has been handled is laughable.

Rumors of coaches leaking bad press about Sashi and co. Something has to happen and fast. This team is crumbling, and either Hue/staff must go, the front office, or everyone. There has to be someone accountable for these riches of embarrassment.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Honestly Cousins most likely will be back in Washington either on a long term deal or the transition tag at 28 mil.

Unless they want to let him walk for a comp pick which would be an awful decision.

I have to agree.  I don't know how Washington could even consider letting him go, unless they didn't have the cap space to keep him.  They should (and should have already) given him a long term deal.  I would be thrilled to get just a competent QB, and he fits the bill.

Would it be wrong to sign him AND take a QB 1 overall?  Would not be my first option, but I can't say that I would be mad.

Archived