Trade Deadline

Aztec Hammer

3 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

like I said, sounds like one is watching, and evaluating, the other is spitballing and regurgitating what they have read.

I’ve never really seen such an honest post with such great self reflection on the site before. Admitting is the first step so I’m proud of you.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve never really seen such an honest post with such great self reflection on the site before. Admitting is the first step so I’m proud of you.

Yeah, except I was the one doing actual video cutup, pointing out specific throws and traits.  Nice try though.... only not.  The other guy, hilariously enough, after I pointed out the Brady/Hoodie hype machine, came back and tried to prove his point by saying he played well behind Brady.  :-D  now that is funny.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

“Best of highlight video” is now specific film evaluation. LOL. Priceless.

It sir, is evaluation of NFL physical abilities and traits.  Like it or not, but it is reality.  If you can't see the traits that I listed regarding those cut ups, that says a lot about your own talent evaluation prowess, or lack thereof.

Lets see if stats support the video then shall we?  In 2015, McCarron played in 7 games, completed 66.4% of his passes, 850 plus yards, 6 TDs, 2 INTs, 97 plus QB rating.  Seems the numbers support the things that I saw in said videos.

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Yes, I know this is totally off topic and from left field. I have a friend that wants to know this answer too. 

Thanks in advance.

What are you guys talking about?  It’s like you guys are arguing with yourselves. Right @LETSGOBROWNIES ?

oh and mccarron is garbage, we dodged a big bullet. 

JG and AJ both are solid QB's mainly due to consistency. That being the case give Kessler or even Hoyer when he was with us the quality supporting casts would produce as well. Bottom line though is smaller QBs from the start need more investments on the OL either in cap space, 1st/2nd round picks, or both. Mobile QBs eventually suffer the same fate as well. They however often have OL's almost completely neglected because of their mobility, so when the time comes where suddenly defenses contain them or they are hurt it's a double whammy. Even prototype QB's need the protection once they get older.

This protection often comes at the cost of investment in defense since WR's, RB's, TE's are going to usually kept around for the QB. The exception is the Saints who traded away Graham and Cooks to keep up the OL. Compounding this is the need to often spend 1sts on the OL and skill positions, further leading to degradation of the defense without the money to spend in FA.

In terms of investment of cap and picks I believe in team balance but in the end championship teams have added value in there with players performing above their pay grade via rookie deals or guys accepting less than their worth for the sake of the team.

Without those exceptions you're looking at 2 good OL(20m), 10m min for rb/te, WR's 15m, and QB 20-30m. So base is 65m to have effective starters on offense long term. Add in the fill ins, p/k, backups, etc. and you're up to 80m. Any elite players or extra investments though and you can easily be up to 90m. For balance sake and say the cap goes up lets say you have 90m for the defense. Always dead money players as well.

Myles and #1 CB are base needs. 25m. Add in Shelton, Kirksey, Collins you're up to 55m. So you have 2 more DL, #2CB, 2 safeties. LB/nickel and backups can do 5 mil. So about 6 per the remaining 5 starters. That's enough to have another very good starter or two and replace other with draft picks on rotation or sign 5 average but solid guys. That can be a very good defense where everyone is getting paid what they should be. Spend 10-20 extra on OL and it may only be 2-4m per those remaining 5. That's a bad recipe, so you'd probably have to let go 2/3 of Shelton, Kirko, Collins. Definitely doable because their positions are more easily replaceable than DE, CB, OT but so are OG, C and skill positions if you have a QB who spreads the ball around. 

My point in all this is that committing to a smaller than prototype QB, like if the Browns were to commit to AJ, JG, or Cousins would necessitate spending 30m in the least on OL. You can't expect to field effective WR/TE/RB for less than 25 but the average is probably 30-35. Top notch groups will cost you 40m. 

At a min 80m with a Dalton or AJ QB and above average OL/Skill positions. Add in ST and dead money around 10m per year. At 90m, that's enough to spend on a very good defense. However you're left with a base offense. 

Add in 5-10m for a Kirk or JG level QB + probably another 10 if you want to maintain the rest of the offense and you're looking at 70m on defense in '18, only 60m this year. You'd have the Raiders defense. Pretty much all we'd be able to afford would be Myles and the CB. Greg can get the most out of his players and the dominant offense would help but come playoff time a more balanced team, a better QB, or an off day by the offense...

Overspend on OL the QB better be worth every penny. Kirk, AJ, Dalton, JG may all be good QBs but considering what you have to surround them with and sacrifice on the other side of the ball it's just not worth it. A top 5 QB could form such a dominant offense that the defense doesn't matter, but too many things can go wrong with any lesser. An off day, an injury or two, etc.

A prototype QB you can sacrifice some of the OL because they can stand in and look over the line, take hits, etc. Brees is the rare exception in that you give him the OL and it doesn't matter who is running and catching as long as players fit certain roles. Given that though the Saints still bat around 500.

If you're a team without a viable QB you may be better off spending that extra 15m from not signing a mid level QB into an elite defense. 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just unblocked him to see this exchange and am kicking myself for knowing better.

This is all @MWil23's fault.

Funny, you tagged me just now and only you showed up, as it was a string of "You have chosen to ignore __________________". HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I can see either firings in the FO or demotions and bringing in a true football guy. Harvard degrees and money ball is obviously not cutting it. 1-31 is on them as much as Hue. Sashi put this squad together. He is the reason we are the youngest team with the most picks and cap space. He have no veteran presence on this team because of him. Not saying he has done good for this team... I'm saying he has done some very questionable things have have hurt us more. 

Also just adding this here - If I was responsible for this record, I would not be leaving by 4 every day. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Archived