2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

George is a very, very professional GM. Elway - who did far more good here than bad, I hope no one forgets that -

Absolutely. Elway has caught a lot of flak the last few seasons and rightfully so. But I've always felt Joe Ellis was equally responsible for a lot of the franchises recent dysfunction. This team was literally on fire when the brought John back into the fold. Devoid and completely stripped of talent thanks to McDaniels. And he had us back at the top of the AFC in a matter of a couple short seasons. Without Elway we never sign PFM. We never hire Kubiak. And we never go to those Super Bowls.

8 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Ignoring common sense.  Fangio made it clear that he didn’t want Drew Lock as his QB, but Paton is just as guilty if not more so.

I can’t stand Lock, but this organization isn’t and wasn’t working in good faith and all of a sudden Paton is getting a pass in that.  

Drew Lock sucks. Teddy gave us a better chance to win most games. Deal with it.

5 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Drew Lock sucks. Teddy gave us a better chance to win most games. Deal with it.

Considering Teddy wasn’t good enough to make this a playoff team, it’s pretty obvious in hindsight that they should have started Drew. There was zero value in having Teddy start. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Considering Teddy wasn’t good enough to make this a playoff team, it’s pretty obvious in hindsight that they should have started Drew. There was zero value in having Teddy start. 

Agreed.  That’s not even my point either.  All of a sudden this forum wants to act like George Paton had no say in anything this year.  That everything he did was for the benefit of Vic Fangio.

I like Paton and don’t think he should be fired or anything drastic.  But good lord people.  Paton had bigger say in things than Fangio as a GM and if dots are connected I’d put more blame on Bridgewater getting more opportunities than deserved on Paton than a would Fangio, but if you read this thread you’d think Paton is Bill Belichick.

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Going with Teddy, the guy Vic preferred, emptied the chamber of excuses for Fangio. Which was the point. You can’t give the coaching staff a true evaluation year if you tell them to go with the QB they don’t want.

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

Agreed.  That’s not even my point either.  All of a sudden this forum wants to act like George Paton had no say in anything this year.  That everything he did was for the benefit of Vic Fangio.

I like Paton and don’t think he should be fired or anything drastic.  But good lord people.  Paton had bigger say in things than Fangio as a GM and if dots are connected I’d put more blame on Bridgewater getting more opportunities than deserved on Paton than a would Fangio, but if you read this thread you’d think Paton is Bill Belichick.

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to blame Paton for here. Not overruling his coach and naming Lock the starter? Or just not getting an actual QB? 

2 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Going with Teddy, the guy Vic preferred, emptied the chamber of excuses for Fangio. Which was the point. You can’t give the coaching staff a true evaluation year if you tell them to go with the QB they don’t want.

I mean it’s just generally good practice to let your coaches decide who plays. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, germ-x said:

He does suck.  I’ve been Lock’s biggest detractor.  Not the point.

Absolutely fair comment that TeddyB wasn't the answer.   This is also what happens when you have a HC and staff on the hot seat.   Lock's propensity for TO's and mistakes were the only way we were losing the first 3 weeks.   

And just when it looked like it was time to think about a change - we'd pull the improbable W.   A 4th easy win vs DET and a 5th vs a limited WFT Squad (that we tried so hard to give away), it only took 2 upsets with -5 & -3 TO to get to 7-6 even with the O horror show.  

The reality is I don't think there's a game that Lock wins for us that TeddyB played, MAYBE Cleveland.   But yes, it was a lost season in that

Here's the thing, though - Paton doesn't make that call.   Fangio & Shurmur do.   Coaches decide who starts.   And in this case, they got to choose vet QB over draft QB (although Paton tried for Stafford <not that hard, 1.9 for 2.8 lol>, and A-Rod never materialized).    That’s on them, not the GM. 

Paton was given a mandate to give Fangio his staff, and even his QB.   Allbright confirms this verbatim (most recent time, but this has been his take since season began):

Paton didn't get the big QB upgrade - but that was the mandate for 1 year, then Paton gets full control.   It sucks, but that's how it went down.   I wanted the QB upgrade, but if we do end up with Wilson/A-Rod, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  But to be clear, it wasn't Paton's call - he took the job with the condition Fangio got 1 more year, then he decides.    Paton's decision on Fangio this weekend was his own - he gets to totally remake the entire roster now in his image.   He didn't get the mandate to replace Fangio, or the QB.   Now it's up to him. 

In that vein, I am totally OK with giving Paton the pass.  From here on out, it's all on him what happens at QB.

Edited by Broncofan

Paton drafted Bridgewater there is a connection there.  None of that was out of the blue out of all the options available last offseason.

Paton even comes out and acts like Lock is in the competition this coming season.

It’s all BS games.

I've got a hunch here. I'd expect a guy, 40+, with most of his experience on the offensive side of the ball. He'll be given full control over the O and ST's as far as staff (hopefully with the exception of Munch and Kupe) and handed  an excellent D staff and DC in Donatell and friends. 

Any HC candidate should realize how close we are. They should also note that the problems are not on the D side. Why fix something that ain't broke? 

Besides, just where are you going to find a DC and staff that can match what we've got? Donatell's not Vic, but after being with him for 7 years the hope would be he can be a close 2nd. He's a great secondary coach and reliable DC in his own right.

Fourth year in the same system with the same coaches sounds great to me.

Edited by AKRNA

Leave the (boring) Lock vs Teddy stuff in the QB thread, please.

Like most, I'm impressed with the wide list.

I think everyone needs to keep in mind that the things we hammered Vic for (in game decisions, accountability, leadership), are things we can't see from the outside.

So, judging a guy based off the statistical performance of his unit(s) is asinine. We just fired a guy who killed it in that regard.

So, no throwing yourselves off a bridge when Jerod Mayo gets hired 😂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, germ-x said:

Ignoring common sense.  Fangio made it clear that he didn’t want Drew Lock as his QB, but Paton is just as guilty if not more so.

I can’t stand Lock, but this organization isn’t and wasn’t working in good faith and all of a sudden Paton is getting a pass in that.  

What? Sorry man, this makes no sense.

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Leave the (boring) Lock vs Teddy stuff in the QB thread, please.

Like most, I'm impressed with the wide list.

I think everyone needs to keep in mind that the things we hammered Vic for (in game decisions, accountability, leadership), are things we can't see from the outside.

So, judging a guy based off the statistical performance of his unit(s) is asinine. We just fired a guy who killed it in that regard.

So, no throwing yourselves off a bridge when Jerod Mayo gets hired 😂

Oh there will be plenty of that. Imagine if Aaron Glenn gets the job lmao.

• Like 2