2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Let’s put aside all of the NE baggage ( and there’s a lot) and focus just on your last point. I don’t want to put words in you mouth so please correct me if I’m interpreting this wrong. (I’m taking bits of precious posts about him being a strong leader into account as well)

his lack of experience running a side of the ball is potentially a benefit because he won’t have the potential temptation of getting too involved there? 

I disagree vehemently. As someone who has gone from team/squad level leadership up to squadron level leadership (dozen direct reports, hundreds fell under me) I can tell you that the two leadership approaches have very little to do with each other and it takes a stepwise approach to transition from one to the other. Right now he is a leader of 10? Where is focus is on the tactical. We’re asking him to be the leader of hundreds (players, coaches, etc) where his focus is on the strategic. This would completely skip over that middle level of leadership (the operational).

can it be done? Sure. Smoothly? No. What will happen when he hits roadblocks? He will go back to what he knows, the tactical (hands on, micromanaging, direct authoritarian style of leadership). Now reinsert what we know about NE coaches. hard pass for me. 

for the DC spot (operational)? Now I’m intrigued 

As I said it can be seen as an advantage or disadvantage.  It’s why the interview process is important.  If that’s your experience with leadership I can certainly see why you’d have that opinion.  

7 minutes ago, germ-x said:

As I said it can be seen as an advantage or disadvantage.  It’s why the interview process is important.  If that’s your experience with leadership I can certainly see why you’d have that opinion.  

Not just personal experience and anecdotes. I’ve also got a BA in leadership studies (needed to pad the ol GPA before I went to med school after 2 party years right out of HS lol so I got this in addition to my BS in human biology) and have published 2 papers in peer reviewed journals on the subject. Here’s my most recent: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jls.21681

• Like 4

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Not just personal experience and anecdotes. I’ve also got a BA in leadership studies (needed to pad the ol GPA before I went to med school after 2 party years right out of HS lol so I got this in addition to my BS in human biology) and have published 2 papers in peer reviewed journals on the subject. Here’s my most recent: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jls.21681

I don’t disagree with any of what you have posted.  Just from personal experience though, while maybe rare, I think there are people who naturally are terrific leaders and will always be so.  Not saying there aren’t bumps along the way, but if put in any situation would be successful in a leadership role.

I work in education and my first Principal in Colorado Springs was a West Point graduate with a doctorate in educational leadership who hands down was the worst leader I’ve ever been around.  She ended up getting fired and started a leadership company afterward, believe it or not 😂.  

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 1

Saw this today and it sort of confirmed for me that this opening must look pretty attractive to the top candidates out there, especially if you believe in what Paton’s been able to accomplish in his first year on the job. Lots of cap space, lots of draft capital, on top of a pretty talented roster and a smart guy making the decisions. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Saw this today and it sort of confirmed for me that this opening must look pretty attractive to the top candidates out there, especially if you believe in what Paton’s been able to accomplish in his first year on the job. Lots of cap space, lots of draft capital, on top of a pretty talented roster and a smart guy making the decisions. 

Thanks for sharing! Great stuff. 

Boy I’d hate to be the Saints right now. Ouch. 

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

I don’t disagree with any of what you have posted.  Just from personal experience though, while maybe rare, I think there are people who naturally are terrific leaders and will always be so.  Not saying there aren’t bumps along the way, but if put in any situation would be successful in a leadership role.

I work in education and my first Principal in Colorado Springs was a West Point graduate with a doctorate in educational leadership who hands down was the worst leader I’ve ever been around.  She ended up getting fired and started a leadership company afterward, believe it or not 😂.  

I have no doubts. West Point produces quite the dichotomy of leaders. some are truly great. Some are horrible, think they are great, and leverage their connections from the point into positions. 

4 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I have no doubts. West Point produces quite the dichotomy of leaders. some are truly great. Some are horrible, think they are great, and leverage their connections from the point into positions. 

Isn’t that the case with grads from most is the elite institutions? Just leveraging a document that says “Harvard” or “Princeton” or “Service Academy” and some are awesome and a handful are totally inept. I went to CSU, a good, but not elite by any means, school but I’ve worked my way up in multiple fields and pull down a relative fortune in 2 jobs and have a great deal of schedule freedom because I’m savvy, charismatic, hard-working, sharp, etc. My dad was a U of Illinois grad in engineering physics and carved out a very nice career but often said the MS engineer or PHD engineer or MIT engineer couldn’t even find the “on” button for a machine and was socially inept. 

36 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Honestly the biggest issue is she was there for her, there were others, she had terrible organization and would miss meetings and what not, but #1 is she was there for her to be front and center and she enjoyed the power imbalance.  After she was let go the AP told me that she would brag about how much she enjoyed getting staff members to comply and that it’s easier to get compliance by making them uncomfortable, invading personal space so they leaned back or having meetings in the dark were 2 of her favorite.  That’s what she was there for, not to lead.

The guy who replaced her had never worked at the elementary level, spent 2 years as an AD at a middle school, it was his first principal job.  Staff members that had been in education for 15+, 20+ years said he was the best principal they’d ever worked for.  He was selfless, asked for help/guidance when needed, turned everything into a learning experience. 

I also 100% believe leadership is teachable, not that every person will lead a company or what not, but they can acquire some of those leadership qualities in the same way you could learn a football technique.  

The reason I was busy most of the fall is I helped coach HS football.  I was lucky enough to play for one of the winningest programs in state history and for a CHSAA Hall of Fame HC.  He built a program around respect and integrity.  He was very organized.  We had weekly integrity quotes we would have to memorize.  Ran a simple scheme (when you are a small school and can’t recruit you have to) and coached up playing hard, being reliable, and being there for your teammates.

The HC and DC where I am at now are much like my first principal.  They’re in it for them, it’s their fix.  They’re volatile and explosive and have everyone, especially players walking on eggshells. They drew multiple flags this season for yelling at officials.  Blame players for all issues.  Run a complex scheme that asks their 16 year old QB to read an entire field and when he can’t tells him he sucks.  Complain about lack of leadership from players and I brought up they don’t coach it, didn’t sit well.

I am actually running a leadership book study with the freshman and sophomores this summer.  My mother in law has done a couple presentations at CHSAA coaches meetings on leadership, so she has all the materials which made it easy.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I also 100% believe leadership is teachable, not that every person will lead a company or what not, but they can acquire some of those leadership qualities in the same way you could learn a football technique.  

—————

I am actually running a leadership book study with the freshman and sophomores this summer.  My mother in law has done a couple presentations at CHSAA coaches meetings on leadership, so she has all the materials which made it easy.

I agree 100% with your top part

for the bottom I created a longitudinal leadership course for residents a couple years ago. The works of Daniel Coyle, Simon Sinek, Jocko Willink, and Adam Grant all featured heavily. Carol Dwecks “mindset”and Angel Duckworths “Grit” are also good reads 

sorry to digress. Back to football

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 1

Allbright mentioned one option would be Quinn as HC and Getsy as OC.

That gets the thumbs up from me, because it leaves open the possibility of both Rodgers (who works with Getsy now) and Russell Wilson (who knows Quinn from years ago)

I also think given Paton’s history and the fact Quinn is a potential front runner, that we will likely move to a 4-3 defense next year. This will likely be good news for Bradley Chubb. 

I'm getting more and more into Brian Callahan as my front runner. He has Denver ties (not that it necessarily means anything) but has a diverse coaching background and has been under some very successful, diverse coaches in Fox, Kubiak, Gruden,Caldwell and now Taylor. He was also an assistant for McDaniels who by all accounts is a genius on the Xs and Os and hopefully taught Callahan some of those detail oriented skills. 

From there I'm open to keeping the defensive staff intact and/or am intrigued by Mayo coming in as DC and keeping many of the position coaches since they run a very similar scheme (match zone). 

At OC (with an offensive minded HC), I would like someone with some relatively recent experience coaching in the college level. So much of today's NFL resembles where college ball has been and is going that I would like that perspective on our team. Getsy would fit the bill. 

Edited by grizmo78

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Allbright mentioned one option would be Quinn as HC and Getsy as OC.

That gets the thumbs up from me, because it leaves open the possibility of both Rodgers (who works with Getsy now) and Russell Wilson (who knows Quinn from years ago)

I also think given Paton’s history and the fact Quinn is a potential front runner, that we will likely move to a 4-3 defense next year. This will likely be good news for Bradley Chubb. 

Along with Chubb, I also think Dre’mont & Browning would thrive in a 4-3 and even Young would adapt well to the move.   OSU base D was a 4-3 (4-2-5 at other times) and both alumni have the skills there.    I'm assuming we re-sign Young, but if we did, the top 4 guys on our front 7 would IMO be well suited to a 4-3 (and let's face it, schemes are never purely 100 percent 4-3 or 3-4, very situationally dependent).

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

I'm getting more and more into Brian Callahan as my front runner. He has Denver ties (not that it necessarily means anything) but has a diverse coaching background and has been under some very successful, diverse coaches in Fox, Kubiak, Gruden,Caldwell and now Taylor. He was also an assistant for McDaniels who by all accounts is a genius on the Xs and Os and hopefully taught Callahan some of those detail oriented skills. 

From there I'm open to keeping the defensive staff intact and/or am intrigued by Mayo coming in as DC and keeping many of the position coaches since they run a very similar scheme (match zone). 

At OC (with an offensive minded HC), I would like someone with some relatively recent experience coaching in the college level. So much of today's NFL resembles where college ball has been and is going that I would like that perspective on our team. Getsy would fit the bill. 

I too am intrigued by Callahan. He has had success with a variety of spots with different schemes. He is well thought of by several QBs. He would probably be at the top of my list. My list would go:

1. Brian Callahan

2. Kevin O Connell

3. Dan Quinn

4. Nathaniel Hackett

• Like 1

I like Callahan's addition as well.    If it's Quinn paired with OC like SF McDaniel/etc, Moore, Hackett (with A-Rod please!), or Callahan - seems to check a lot of boxes.    I'd still think guys like Mayo/Getsy are for the coordinator positions.

I have to say I find it refreshing the list is both diverse and not just a retread list.   

• Like 1