Henry Ruggs involved in serious car accident; Charged with DUI resulting in death; Released

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

Actually that is my bad. The price of a lawyer doesn't always tell you the quality. 

I'll rephrase and say the most prolific/regularl celebrities/high profile attorneys are not cheap.

I have known a lot of quality attorneys that were reasonably priced all things considered, and some that I know are in it for moral reasons and aren't motivated by money but rather it being a decent bonus. I have also known quite a few that want to take everything you own and your kidneys to pay for their services haha. 

There’s also a lot of once very good lawyers that were hungry at first but now that they have made a name for themselves and can command top dollar. But now they don’t put the work in and thus are less sharp AND are more interested in trading cases (ie you give me a low sentence plea for client A and I owe you a high sentence plea for client B in the future when you need it).  That’s a very a common practice amongst lawyers and prosecutors.

I have no problem with expensive attorneys.  My lawyer costs around 100k for a case like I had.  But he was upfront and honest and earned his pay.  He turned a 20-25 sentence into 5….. he earned every penny, in fact he was under paid IMO.

People who Judge high priced lawyers always seem to Forget their running a business…. With expenses, lots of expenses.  Do fans criticize Carr for commanding 25M Per year? Nope! Do you work for less money at your job so the business can be more profitable or so another employee can get a raise? Nope.  So don’t expect the lawyer to either.  Funny this is lawyers do A TON of pro-Bono work…. That’s not just their time, there’s expenses that are occurred during those cases not to mention the labor costs of their employees.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jraider91 said:

Pretty awful comment, and sounds like something you made up watching a TV show

Your Awfully ignorant.  That also Was a pretty corny TV comment.  

So According to you Ruggs should just plead guilty next court date and accept whatever sentence is imposed?

and we should Just accept whatever facts the TV and prosecutor Presents?

You also think the prosecutor isn’t out to slam Ruggs to Advance his own career?  

I’m an Awful person for hoping Ruggs Doesn’t spend decades in prison but does suffer some consequences?  We’ll, I think it’s absolutely disgusting of you to want a good person who made a mistake, albeit a very big one, to be sentenced harshly.

Prison isn’t going to bring their time back. And it’s not going to change Ruggs at all in a positive way…. It only makes you more heartless.  

23 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

You aren't getting the videos of him at top golf, the statement made by his girlfriend that Ruggs was drinking (plus any potential statement made by Ruggs, even without miranda rights because the girlfriend was interviewed as a witnes, and in my state at least suspects being arrested for DUI don't require the reading of miranda rights), his refusal to submit to the test, the statements from the workers at the hospitals and from police on what they observed of Ruggs behavior after the accident all chucked. Nor will you get the fact that he was going 150 MILES AN HOUR IN A 35 MPH zone thrown out. The speed hangs him on some serious charges even if he didn't drink a drop. He would be facing 1-6 years off the speed alone because 150 miles an hour is at bare minimum reckless driving resulting in death. 

You aren't getting the illegal hand gun thrown out either. That was found in a situation that already supplied probable cause and grounds to search the car. That isn't going anywhere. Even if you take away the drinking from the situation completely he would be facing 10+ years for the reckless driving and illegal possession of a hand gun. 

You could attempt to make your case for a defense based around concussions from playing football and it having an effect on his brain, however I believe that would likely fall into a defense centered around not guilty due to being mentally unfit to stand trial. Although I am not positive. Regardless, people pleading not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect works about 1 percent of the time. And lawyers will almost always advise you that is a plan reserved as a hail marry when no other possible defense has a shot at convincing a jury. The reasons being there is still a stigma about things like that. You have to prove that not only do you suffer from a mental disease or defect you have to prove that your mental disease or defect caused you to not comprehend what you were doing was wrong. Not only would they have to be able to prove that Ruggs was suffering from issues stemming from concussions that had an effect on his brain, they would have to prove that those issues caused Ruggs to not know that drinking and driving, having an illegal fire arm, and going 156 MPH in a 35 MPH zone was wrong, was dangerous, and that it caused him to not understand doing those things were illegal and put himself and others in danger. Simply proving his brain has been effected by concussions and effected his decision making isn't enough. You have to prove that directly caused him to not be able to comprehend the fact his actions were wrong. And the last reason no lawyer wants to try and defend their client on a defense like that is because it's generally very stupid for the client. When sentenced to prison there is a maximum time the state can hold you. If you are found not guilty by reason of mental defect you are sent to a state ran mental institution. Where they can and will hold you until whatever defect you suffer from is cured or they are positive you are no longer a threat to yourself or the rest of society. 

In almost every case people that have been sent to a mental institution because they were found not guilty due to their mental issues they end up serving more time in the institution than they could have been given under the max sentence for prison. In the vast majority of cases resulting in a death where someone has been found not guilty due to that defense the person spends the rest of their life in that institution. To defend Ruggs that way with the concussions you would basically been signing him up for the rest of his life in a psychiatric facility because our science today doesn't have enough of a grasp to fully understand or correct the type of damage done to the brain due to concussions. Meaning they could never be certain the issues are no longer a threat and thus Ruggs can never be seen as no longer a threat to himself or society. Not to mention, I don't know if you have ever been to a mental hospital for the criminally insane, but it's worse than prison in so many ways. And if you aren't truly severely mentally ill it would be your worst nightmare to spend your life in a facility surrounded only by the people that are effected so much by their mental illness they were classified extremely dangerous and locked in there for it. 

Lawyers have their jobs to do. And I truly believe that everyone deserves to be defended to the best of their ability. But IMO none of those tactics have a prayer to work. You could get the blood work thrown out on a technicality due to chain of custody or an issue with the lab. But in cases like this they use the videos, the statements and the experience and expertise of the police officers and hospital workers as to what they saw, and they will be considered experts in seeing someone under the influence and allowed to give their expert opinion to the jury. 

What would be best for Ruggs is to take responsibility. Be a man. Admit he made a terrible mistake. That his stupidity, immaturity, and selfishness cost a young woman her life, has for all intents and purposes ruined his life and a bright future, and his decision also forever changed and made the lives of his girlfriend and small child more difficult. In ways we can't completely comprehend. Growing up without a father in her life for a significant amount of time, growing up her entire life with everyone knowing her father was a football player with a bright future that got ridiculously drunk, drove 150 miles an hour in Las Vegas and ultimately killed a woman, etc. What is best for Ruggs right now is take responsibility and hold himself accountable. Accept the punishment and consequences of his actions, and beg for forgiveness and an opportunity to do whatever it takes to work towards forgiveness and redemption from an entire community he impacted. 

Henry Ruggs has no business nor does he have any future with the Las Vegas Raiders. I don't care how talented you are. It takes a matter of minutes to make a single decision that forever alters and impacts every single day of the rest of your life and the lives of countless others. He was 22, and while the brain may not be done developing at that age, it's developed enough to know what he did was wrong, dangerous, and selfish. His brain not being fully developed doesn't magically absolve him from any responsibility or consequences. Sure plenty of others drink and drive and don't have this happen. But that is simply luck and nothing more on their part. And you don't build justice systems on the lucky outcomes where the worst doesn't happen. 

I never want to see Henry Ruggs in a Raider uniform again. I truly hope he accepts responsibility, he works hard to help teach others based on his experiences, I hope he works tirelessly to earn redemption and forgiveness and that he never stops trying to make as many positive things come from this tragic situation as he can. I don't believe he should have a place in the NFL after this. But that isn't my call. Sometimes in life you make one terrible decision (and Henry made far more than one) and you lose things forever. That woman lost her life. Seems like such a small thing to not allow Henry to continue with something he loves, something that brought him fame, wealth, power, and contributed to a way of thinking and way of life that led to all of this in the first place. Sometimes you make a call and it results in you having to give up something significant forever. 

I'm not sure I can understand how anyone right now can be thinking or advising ways for Ruggs to avoid punishment, avoid the consequences, and help facilitate a scenario where he plays for the Raiders again. Some things are just more important than football. A woman lost her life. Who cares how much Ruggs could help the Raiders in a football game in comparison?

First…. Thank you for a intelligent conversation.  

I’ll break this up into 2 posts: legal and non-legal topics.

“What would be best for Ruggs is to take responsibility. Be a man. Admit he made a terrible mistake. That his stupidity, immaturity, and selfishness cost a young woman her life, has for all intents and purposes ruined his life and a bright future, and his decision also forever changed and made the lives of his girlfriend and small child more difficult.”

That is absolutely true.  But just pleading guilty and taking whatever sentence a prosecutor recommends and a judge imposes had zero barring on accepting responsibility.  Accepting responsibility is something that takes a great deal of introspection followed by actions.  I’d like tO see Ruggs do a small prison sentence then get out repay his debt to society thru volunteerism …. Things like work with high schoolers to warn against drunk driving and racing, etc.  I’ve done all my time in prison on level 3+4 yards and that’s where Ruggs would end up if he got 5+ years.  That environment makes you callous and angry and violent.  If Ruggs was to only get 2-4 years he’d be on a 2 yard which can still be dangerous but is mostly laid back.  There’s more programs there to deal with his issues.  3+4’s have no real programs…. They just lock you down until your level drops many years from now.

I think a 3-4 year sentence with a long suspended sentence is the way to best deal with this case.  Give Ruggs the rope to hang himself or climb out.  It’s his choice to make. 

He was 22, and while the brain may not be done developing at that age, it's developed enough to know what he did was wrong, dangerous, and selfish. His brain not being fully developed doesn't magically absolve him from any responsibility or consequences

I didn’t say “concussions made him do it”.  I didn’t say “he had concussions so he should be excused”.  I said it was a potential affirmative defense.  Or a mitigating circumstance (I got that one from SVU last night according to Jraider91) to bring up in the PSI report (pre-sentence investigation).  
but I do believe it *COULD* have played a role in Rugg’s behavior.  Again that doesn’t mean concussions made him do it.  It means there’s a possibility concussions played a role in Ruggs decision making and “risk management” (as I call it).  Concussions didn’t make Ruggs all of a sudden go Out and buy a Corvette and have a personality that enjoyed driving fast.  That’s how Ruggs was born and raised.  But in the moment Ruggs was considering Drinking and driving and again when considering to drive very fast or chill out and slow down I tend to believe it could have played a very big role.  I will Also say that if he Did have complications from the concussions with his brain functioning the combination of with a rather large amount of alcohol surely compounded each Other quite heavily.  That’s a strong cocktail.

I don’t think Ruggs even has a .01% chance to return to the Raiders and isn’t likely to play in the NFL again.  I’m cognitive of the likelihood of those events.  
Nonetheless, I would personally want Ruggs back on the team IF did ALL the series of steps necessary AND truly changed and worked hard in the community.  I think a Ruggs comeback story with him being A cautionary tale about DUI and racing could offer way more to the community then Ruggs in prison or working somewhere out of the public eye.

but i Say all That admitting I’m biased.  I like Ruggs and I wish he was helping the Raiders win.  Also, I don’t know the victim.  And I’m not one of those people who cries about the loss of people I don’t know.  Maybe that’s the callousness that comes from Being in prison.  I certainly wish the woman didn’t die.  I understand she had a family And loved ones that are forever scarred, but it’s not James Kelly’s place and I have no desire to be behind any “Justice for Tina” movement.  I don’t want Evil people on the Raiders roster.  But if Ruggs’ attorney got him off all charges miraculously and Ruggs was genuinely remorseful and learned the needed lesson and took steps to atone for his sins AND he can help us win…. I’d absolutely welcome him back.  That comment will make people really mad and will Be wildly unpopular, but it’s my opinion.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I have no idea over the legal parts of this and if that's even feasible but as regards the last bit, I hope he turns his life around and can be a source of positivity in his community and help others possibly once he gets out but I don't believe he should ever step foot on a football field again, and certainly not with the Raiders.

I say this because IF he was just speeding and had an accident I could be empathetic. IF he just had a DUI and had a minor crash I could be empathetic. IF he had just a unlicensed gun in his car I could be empathetic. IF he'd gone out partying until all hours when he should have been taking his career more seriously I could have been empathetic.

However;

He was out partying,

He had a gun in his car, 

He drove seriously drunk and impaired,

He sped not just by a little but by a reckless and incredibly dangerous amount,

He crashed into another vehicle.

And on top of all that, a totally innocent person lost their young and promising life in a most horrifying way. Truly tragic.

I could forgive one, two, maybe even three of the above but all of them together on the same night shows a blatant disregard to anyone else but himself, rules and the welfare of others and indicates a pattern of behaviour that reasonably can't be a single time incident. He must have gotten lucky previously and this time his luck ran out and it cost an innocent person their life. No way do I want that anywhere near my team again.

That’s a very reasonable and well thought response.  I certainly can’t find any faults with that logic and opinion.

(Except I don’t see how the gun in the car requires any forgiveness AND the staying out late thing.  I’m All About “nothing good happens After midnight” but Ruggs being out at 3am alone Isn’t an issue to me.  But it is another compounding circumstance to this situation for sure…. I’m not sure if that’s what you meant)

I think the “tides of popular opinion turned” on Ruggs with the 156mph report.  That was the nail in the coffin.  There’s no reason to ever do that…. It’s ridiculous and selfish and inexcusable and unforgivable, etc etc etc.

So i‘m With you on all of that…. Until it comes to the punishment and forgiveness.

I think in 100 years society will look back at the prison system and view just as immoral, inhumane, etc as slavery in America is viewed today.  Of course there needs to be prisons and people do deserve to be there.  But I don’t think Ruggs deserves a long sentence (short sentence but long suspended sentence IMO).  I think a lengthy prison sentence would very likely prevent Ruggs from making a mental transformation and take the steps necessary to “atone for his sins” with community service work.  I think he needs to be both punished AND allowed the Opportunity to find redemption.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 6:37 PM, jimkelly02 said:

If I was Ruggs’ lawyer I’d fight the case on 3 main fronts:

1) try and get the blood test for BAC tossed.  Chain of custody, issues with the lab in the past…. Anything and everything to challenge them and get it excluded from evidence.

2) Use the affirmative defense that Ruggs is 22yo and study’s show that the frontal lobe doesn’t fully develop until 25yo.  Ruggs had a concussion at Alabama in Citrus Bowl and last year week 17.  I’d get a doctor who would testify there’s evidence thru scans of his brain he had several others.  Frontal lobe damage causes increases in risk taking behavior, etc.  I’d argue damage to his brain from concussions while playing football was responsible for Ruggs’ behavior.

3) if thru accident reconstruction it is believed the woman played a role in the crash (she could have been drunk too…. No way to know now) I’d use the defense that she was the one caused the accident.

I think Ruggs deserves prison but I really hope he only gets 2-3 years and is able to make  a comeback to the NFL at some point…. With us.

Dude...Really? I'm only going to respond to your third comment.

I think a RAV4 may be able to reach a top speed of 120mph so she is at fault for not going at least that fast and reducing the impact to like 36mph so it would have just been a whiplash injury instead of burning to a crisp while still alive to witnesses on scene. Or get in the slow lane and let thru traffic by that is passing at more than 150mph. He deserves prison is only one of many things he's going to be facing his entire life, he alone through his thoughtless actions ended someone else's life and even though Ruggs is famous and wealthy for now he needs to learn that despite his fame and wealth he lives amongst us and is expected to abide by the same laws and common decency we expect from one another. Henry Ruggs career as a professional athlete is over and maybe you and others including Ruggs may think that's unfair and excessive but when did playing football outweigh someone's life? Henry Ruggs could eventually be forgiven by the young woman's family but I don't think that will happen for a while he first has to pay heavily for his actions.

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s a very reasonable and well thought response.  I certainly can’t find any faults with that logic and opinion.

(Except I don’t see how the gun in the car requires any forgiveness AND the staying out late thing.  I’m All About “nothing good happens After midnight” but Ruggs being out at 3am alone Isn’t an issue to me.  But it is another compounding circumstance to this situation for sure…. I’m not sure if that’s what you meant)

I think the “tides of popular opinion turned” on Ruggs with the 156mph report.  That was the nail in the coffin.  There’s no reason to ever do that…. It’s ridiculous and selfish and inexcusable and unforgivable, etc etc etc.

So i‘m With you on all of that…. Until it comes to the punishment and forgiveness.

I think in 100 years society will look back at the prison system and view just as immoral, inhumane, etc as slavery in America is viewed today.  Of course there needs to be prisons and people do deserve to be there.  But I don’t think Ruggs deserves a long sentence (short sentence but long suspended sentence IMO).  I think a lengthy prison sentence would very likely prevent Ruggs from making a mental transformation and take the steps necessary to “atone for his sins” with community service work.  I think he needs to be both punished AND allowed the Opportunity to find redemption.

Thats an interesting take. Its a balancing act I guess between punishment and rehabilitation and I totally get that prison might not be the best place to do that. I've long been an advocate of trying to find ways to rehabilitate people without necessarily incarcerating them but also letting them pay their debt to society. I'm not sure there's an easy fix for a case like this. 

With regards the gun and out late that's more of a team thing really. Reflecting badly on the team and not really showing the focus that is required, letting the team down really. If I was a coach would I want one of my players out at 3am when we're in the playoff hunt especially after him being named by the GM last year as someone who needs to put in work after underperforming.

Being out drunk at 3am and having a gun again is just a common sense thing, would I want my player drunk at 3am out and about with a gun in his car? What good is going to come of that, I can only really think of negative consequences to these type of situations. They're the type of things that can quickly and tragically go bad so I'd hope my players had more sense. 

The trouble is, its compounding errors. The first couple are poor judgements, excuseable and don't reflect well on his professionalism but they're exacerbated by subsequent very bad decisions and when you pile those bad choices up that either leads to a very lucky escape or tragedy.

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

First…. Thank you for a intelligent conversation.  

I’ll break this up into 2 posts: legal and non-legal topics.

“What would be best for Ruggs is to take responsibility. Be a man. Admit he made a terrible mistake. That his stupidity, immaturity, and selfishness cost a young woman her life, has for all intents and purposes ruined his life and a bright future, and his decision also forever changed and made the lives of his girlfriend and small child more difficult.”

That is absolutely true.  But just pleading guilty and taking whatever sentence a prosecutor recommends and a judge imposes had zero barring on accepting responsibility.  Accepting responsibility is something that takes a great deal of introspection followed by actions.  I’d like tO see Ruggs do a small prison sentence then get out repay his debt to society thru volunteerism …. Things like work with high schoolers to warn against drunk driving and racing, etc.  I’ve done all my time in prison on level 3+4 yards and that’s where Ruggs would end up if he got 5+ years.  That environment makes you callous and angry and violent.  If Ruggs was to only get 2-4 years he’d be on a 2 yard which can still be dangerous but is mostly laid back.  There’s more programs there to deal with his issues.  3+4’s have no real programs…. They just lock you down until your level drops many years from now.

I think a 3-4 year sentence with a long suspended sentence is the way to best deal with this case.  Give Ruggs the rope to hang himself or climb out.  It’s his choice to make. 

He was 22, and while the brain may not be done developing at that age, it's developed enough to know what he did was wrong, dangerous, and selfish. His brain not being fully developed doesn't magically absolve him from any responsibility or consequences

I didn’t say “concussions made him do it”.  I didn’t say “he had concussions so he should be excused”.  I said it was a potential affirmative defense.  Or a mitigating circumstance (I got that one from SVU last night according to Jraider91) to bring up in the PSI report (pre-sentence investigation).  
but I do believe it *COULD* have played a role in Rugg’s behavior.  Again that doesn’t mean concussions made him do it.  It means there’s a possibility concussions played a role in Ruggs decision making and “risk management” (as I call it).  Concussions didn’t make Ruggs all of a sudden go Out and buy a Corvette and have a personality that enjoyed driving fast.  That’s how Ruggs was born and raised.  But in the moment Ruggs was considering Drinking and driving and again when considering to drive very fast or chill out and slow down I tend to believe it could have played a very big role.  I will Also say that if he Did have complications from the concussions with his brain functioning the combination of with a rather large amount of alcohol surely compounded each Other quite heavily.  That’s a strong cocktail.

I don’t think Ruggs even has a .01% chance to return to the Raiders and isn’t likely to play in the NFL again.  I’m cognitive of the likelihood of those events.  
Nonetheless, I would personally want Ruggs back on the team IF did ALL the series of steps necessary AND truly changed and worked hard in the community.  I think a Ruggs comeback story with him being A cautionary tale about DUI and racing could offer way more to the community then Ruggs in prison or working somewhere out of the public eye.

but i Say all That admitting I’m biased.  I like Ruggs and I wish he was helping the Raiders win.  Also, I don’t know the victim.  And I’m not one of those people who cries about the loss of people I don’t know.  Maybe that’s the callousness that comes from Being in prison.  I certainly wish the woman didn’t die.  I understand she had a family And loved ones that are forever scarred, but it’s not James Kelly’s place and I have no desire to be behind any “Justice for Tina” movement.  I don’t want Evil people on the Raiders roster.  But if Ruggs’ attorney got him off all charges miraculously and Ruggs was genuinely remorseful and learned the needed lesson and took steps to atone for his sins AND he can help us win…. I’d absolutely welcome him back.  That comment will make people really mad and will Be wildly unpopular, but it’s my opinion.   

I don't necessarily agree with the sentiments in this post but I think it's a good post. There are no real right and wrong, black and white in this horrible situation, no completely right and wrong opinions as they're that......... just opinions, but it's refreshing to hear different takes and especially with the reasoning behind them. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is arguing that Ruggs isn't guilty or has a reasonably defense with any merit, it comes down to what type of sentence he would get. Ruggs is a young person without any known priors who has contributed to his community. He's also a father or a young child.

It simply makes little sense to lock Ruggs up for 40+ years. In fact, I think it makes little sense to me to lock him up more than 5 years. But, I suspect it comes down to personal morals. I don't believe in a retributive criminal justice system that has been historically racist and resulted in some of the worst recidivism in the developed world. But yeah, I'm on Ruggs' payroll.

31 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that Ruggs isn't guilty or has a reasonably defense with any merit, it comes down to what type of sentence he would get. Ruggs is a young person without any known priors who has contributed to his community. He's also a father or a young child.

It simply makes little sense to lock Ruggs up for 40+ years. In fact, I think it makes little sense to me to lock him up more than 5 years. But, I suspect it comes down to personal morals. I don't believe in a retributive criminal justice system that has been historically racist and resulted in some of the worst recidivism in the developed world. But yeah, I'm on Ruggs' payroll.

You're right 😉

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think all the extra stuff videos of him driving fast on residential streets previously in the same car with the same gf, drinking videos at golf place etc but the fact he caused a death at least should get him 10years maybe half time he walks after 5-6. that’s with great lawyer imo.

Also depends on the state commonwealths are strict. But with us being new to Vegas this is really bad for him as I think they’ll try to make an example for future Vegas raiders to not go crazy in the city. 

I saw someone mention today something that could be damming for him of found to be true. They said they were watching the TMZ video. Read that TMZ had removed the woman's screams from the video. Well the person said. If you watch Ruggs says "stop yelling F_%&" the person pointed out that when he said it his girlfriend was talking to him but not yelling. So if he was saying stop screaming to the victim that could be bad if the prosecution shows that (with the screaming not taken out of the video) to the jury. Even though being drunk he could have been talking to his girl. Or just heard screaming and didn't realize it was coming from the burning vehicle. But either way IF it EVEN LOOKS like he is saying it to the victim on the unedited video that is going to really harm his sentencing phase.

Edited by BigD1123

"I'll happily welcome him back"

WTF are you guys smoking.

The dude is about to do 10 in the pen.  156 mph, drunk and a loaded gun in the car.  Not even the Chewbacca defense is getting him off.

Sad story for all involved, but the roses need to be smelled, he ain't ever coming back.  

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:56 PM, jimkelly02 said:

This isn't a conversation if idiots wouldn't break the law. It's really easy to do. How do you think the victim her family feels about letting Ruggs "atone for his sins" and be released based earlier than he should? Would you still feel this way if one of your family members was BURNED TO DEATH? Can you imagine burning to death?".  Ruggs made a horrendous and selfish mistake, however, he should be sentenced to the full extent of the law.

• Like 1

I cannot believe this lady and dog burned to death alive and she was conscious and screaming. The guy trying to rescue her is going to have a severe case of PTSD. Condolences to the family, and well wishes to the man who tried to save her. Please get counseling. 

• Like 1