(Poll) Forecast What Are the Players, GM, & Coaches Opinions of Baker & the OBJ Situation

Empire Lies

(Poll) What Are the Players & Coaches Opinions of Baker  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Is Baker "The Guy" to Kevin Stefanski?

2. 2. Is Baker "The Guy" to Most Offensive Players?

3. 3. Is Baker "The Guy" to Andrew Berry?

Much like the Duke Johnson situation, guys on the team are watching to see how Baker Mayfield handles the OBJ situation (pending release or offseason trade) and have their own opinion on how things have played out in ways that doesn't completely side with Baker and blame OBJ.

Here's to hoping he handles things with more tact than that last time when he was younger and greener in the NFL.

It's clear on this board regarding what most opinions coalesce around: "It's OBJ fault mostly or OBJ is completely the source of issues/fault," "Baker was Great and OBJ ruined him," and so on and so forth. The dissenting minority opinion is that OBJ is less to blame for the issues.

I honestly think that b/c the coaches, GM, and players watch the all22 every week in more detail than any football fan their opinions are likely more critical of Baker Mayfield's ability and there is more loss of confidence in his ability to be the longterm guy than most fans could ever imagine.

I believe that players respect Baker's toughness and even have love for him, but many doubt his ability to lead the team/offense to where they want to go.

I also think more players and coaches than not are more positive in their opinion of OBJ and how positive he's been as a member of the organization than most Browns fans could imagine.

The player negative reactions to Baker's missed plays is palpable on the sideline views and people would be surprised regarding the coaches/players that show bad body language toward Baker's misses.

------------------

What do ppl think members in the organizations thoughts are about Baker and this OBJ situation?

Edited by Empire Lies

As far as why they failed together, you should type less and read more.  No one is blaming OBJ and hyping Baker.   Maybe Thomas?  Literally everyone has said they’re both responsible. 

As far as why he’s inactive and maybe traded?  Well that’s 100% OBJ. A professional would request a trade quietly behind closed doors and if it didn’t happen put in his work the rest of the season and request again more emphatically in the offseason.  I’m sure it was hard for him having to earn a million dollars per game to be a decoy, but he could have put on his big boy britches and sucked it up for 2 more months.  But no, he’s out here posting and deleting things and having his dad fight his battles on social media…

8 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Honestly I don’t know how anyone could be certain that Mayfields the guy at this point, I they’re like a lot of fans hopeful but still uncertain.

There are a lot of fans certain we can’t improve upon Mayfield right now, or likely this offseason.  That’s about it.

This is not one person's failure. I love Baker and have thought he's the long term guy from day 1, but I now have serious doubts.

Obj seems to have been a good teammate while he's here, but he's clearly done being a good teammate. 

Baker has been missing him big but OBJ has also had some big drops and some alligator arm situations. It's the fault of both. Reality is we were going to move on from obj this off-season anyway. So no biggie for me to so a clean break. Though if it's up to me, I'm not cutting I'm. I'm going to make him inactive and sit out this season. Call me spiteful, that's fine.

Edited by nugpimpen
Spelling
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

This is not one person's failure. I love Baker and have thought he's the long term guy from day 1, but I no have serious doubts.

Obj seems to have been a good teammate while he's here, but he's clearly done being a good teammate. 

Baker has been missing him big but OBJ has also had some big drops and some alligator arm situations. It's the fault of both. Reality is we were going to move on from obj this off-season anyway. So no biggie for me to so a clean break. Though if it's up to me, I'm not cutting I'm. I'm going to make him inactive and sit out this season. Call me spiteful, that's fine.

Is it really just spiteful though?  Like, any reasonable person understands why you don’t just let him go anywhere he wants right now.

Even this offseason, I’m not cutting him if I can trade him.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is it really just spiteful though?  Like, any reasonable person understands why you don’t just let him go anywhere he wants right now.

Even this offseason, I’m not cutting him if I can trade him.

With Michael Thomas now out for the season, and depending on if he is still on the "outs" with Sean Payton, I think the talks with the Saints should be revisited.  We obviously came close, and perhaps Thomas wasn't even an option, but maybe being out for the year, aging, and disgruntled, would change that.  They would get a somewhat healthy OBJ for now, and we roll the dice with Thomas next year!

Edited by big poppa pump
Not stealing your idea...I know you mentioned this before..ok maybe I am stealing your idea? Who cares whose idea it was? Let's just say it was mine!

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

With Michael Thomas now out for the season, and depending on if he is still on the "outs" with Sean Payton, I think the talks with the Saints should be revisited.  We obviously came close, and perhaps Thomas wasn't even an option, but maybe being out for the year, aging, and disgruntled, would change that.  They would get a somewhat healthy OBJ for now, and we roll the dice with Thomas next year!

He’s another one who’s been disgruntled isn’t he?

Man, I’m in the camp of just find some hard working kid in the draft who doesn’t feel the need to talk incessantly.  Nick Chubb, but a WR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No one is blaming OBJ and hyping Baker.   Maybe Thomas?

Moi?

I think OBJ would be fine in certain offenses, specifically freelance offenses. A play breaks down and he just runs around. He would probably do well with Lamar.

In a timing based offense, OBJ is bad for an offense.

We are a timing based offense. OBJ isn't going to thrive here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s another one who’s been disgruntled isn’t he?

Man, I’m in the camp of just find some hard working kid in the draft who doesn’t feel the need to talk incessantly.  Nick Chubb, but a WR.

I think Candyman has been saying this but I think Baker needs some size at WR.  He had a clear tendency to throw high to everybody, probably to get it over the line.

• Like 1

OBJ is that kid in little league who is picking flowers in the outfield because he doesn't want to play but his parents make him

Or he's one of the better infielders but he keeps making mistakes so coach puts him in the outfield and he's out there throwing his glove in the air because he got punished

Either way that's his Jekyll and Hyde routine

Edited by TeHDruiD