(Poll) Forecast What Are the Players, GM, & Coaches Opinions of Baker & the OBJ Situation

Empire Lies

(Poll) What Are the Players & Coaches Opinions of Baker  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Is Baker "The Guy" to Kevin Stefanski?

2. 2. Is Baker "The Guy" to Most Offensive Players?

3. 3. Is Baker "The Guy" to Andrew Berry?

11 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

If we sign a starting caliber veteran then that’s fine. And obviously if he is toxic then it’s an easy decision. If our idea of a receiving rotation ends up being DPJ, Schwartz, Higgins, and a rookie though (or 2), that’s a problem. Perhaps an even more pressing need than the defense in the off-season (God help us) is setting Mayfield up to be successful in year 5, where we likely decide what to commit to him. You can’t leave anything on the table. 

Higgins is 100% gone for liking that post. Judas Landry is goners too. Both were likely a longshot to be here next year anyway, but definitely now it's goodbye. We could use that money better than a potential malcontent who doesn't produce enough. Gotta buy in and be professionals. I agree we should get another receiver, though, either first rounder like an OSU guy or maybe even FA. DPJ could be ready to be a #1 by next year, though. I have faith.

Tldr I’ll meet you in the usual spot to discuss Mr. H

I'll be in the shadows communicating through the vocal scrambler, per our usual agreement.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We’ve had a lot of guys in here over the last two season and only one has complained.

If you’re winning and getting reps and eventually getting paid, most guys are happy.

I think Higgins is secretly unhappy and it’s why he liked the anti Baker video. I think Jarvis will start to become unhappy.

IMO the entire WR core needs overhauled. Get rid of OBJ, Jarvis, and Higgins. Stefanski needs to give DPJ reps.

10 hours ago, MWil23 said:

LOL

I audibly laughed.

But first let’s ghost for a year when we are wrong.

'Cause derp was Livin' la Vida Loca

Derp had derps like a derp ... derp ... derp
Derps like what ... what ... what
All night long ....
Let me see that derrrrrr errr errrp
Baby, that derp de derp derp derp

DeepZealousFrilledlizard-max-1mb.gif

9 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The outside perspective of this situation should be looked at as a failure by the HC for not being able to manage the situation.

Most troubling going forward to me is that this is not the first time for Kevin Stefanksi (Stefon Diggs in Minnesota) and could represent a clear deficiency in his interpersonal management skill set that could prove problematic unless fixed.

People forget the things that Stefon Diggs and Adam Theilen spoke out about that caused Diggs to request a trade internally in Minnesota. As Diggs put it, it wasn't just about his usage in the offense or missed opportunities, but also how how he felt "handled" by offensive decision makers instead of really collaborated with. For Theilen, it was about not feeling involved in the direction of things. As Stefanski was the OC, it ultimately falls on him to make big personalities feel valued and stay engaged in turbulent times whether that means a WR screen or reverse to get the ball in their hands early in the game.

In Minnesota, Stefanski was the OC and due to some of his interpersonal deficiencies Zimmer tried to get Gary Kubiak to step in to resolve the issues, mend fences and breathe life back into the situation. Diggs ended up getting out and the rest was history.

It's eerily similar to compare Kirk Cousins and Baker Mayfield's deficiencies as players (missing reads and wide open throws) and the frustrations a lot of playmakers have playing with them (though Cousins is a better player relative to Baker at this point).

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think Higgins is secretly unhappy and it’s why he liked the anti Baker video. I think Jarvis will start to become unhappy.

IMO the entire WR core needs overhauled. Get rid of OBJ, Jarvis, and Higgins. Stefanski needs to give DPJ reps.

I still haven’t seen anything other than the one post by some … we’ll call it questionable… source that states that and I can’t imagine that being left unreported.  ESPN and the like would be all over that.

It doesn’t make any sense for Higgins to be unhappy though. Like, it’s not unlikely that if we cut him he either bounces around rosters for a while or is out of the league.  He’s a slow possession guy who doesn’t play special teams.

As far as Juice, it’s a difficult situation I’m sure. That said, other than some frustration he showed during 2019 he’s been a 100% professional. I honestly expect nothing less from him.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Also, if DPJ develops like I believe he can, then we’re fine at WR. We won’t need to draft a 1st rounder. Just keep adding mid - late round guys. It’s what Seattle did.

I think a WR in the first is absolutely unnecessary unless it’s a Julio/Evans type freak, which we’re not getting unless we lose out or something.

I want to give Felton some time in the slot.

I would too. He’s got some explosiveness too him and I’d like to get him more touches period.  Getting Hunt back will help the passing game as well.

13 hours ago, NateDawg said:

If we sign a starting caliber veteran then that’s fine. And obviously if he is toxic then it’s an easy decision. If our idea of a receiving rotation ends up being DPJ, Schwartz, Higgins, and a rookie though (or 2), that’s a problem. Perhaps an even more pressing need than the defense in the off-season (God help us) is setting Mayfield up to be successful in year 5, where we likely decide what to commit to him. You can’t leave anything on the table. 

You make too much sense 

Both landry and obj have too much to lose to go down that road 

Landry especially as he is not dropping passes at a historic rate like Obj.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

Dude helped change the culture of this team. He's had his issues with drops at times but he always plays his *** off and his teammates love him. His salary is higher than we'd like but he is a team leader.

I'm still not convinced he's a team leader. Never have been. His "viral speech" I thought was actually pretty flat and more just squawky. You could say he helped turn the culture around. Maybe...? 🤷‍♂️ Look at his career stats and tell me he's even a high end number two. He's not. He OBJ'd his way out of Miami and if it hadn't gone the way he wanted by now, he'd be sending cryptic tweets too.

I'm sure he'd be fine staying, but I like forward to being rid of him and Odell tbh, and I don't think that's a wild take. That's why we traded them together to KC in the FFMD 32-team GM draft this year. Both are overpaid. And nah, I think Juice is a diva too but just not on the OBJ level. I like him but am not living in a fantasy world about his contributions to this team (IMO). 

Question: would you get rid of any of our offensive linemen next year to afford Landry? 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 8:42 AM, nugpimpen said:

This is not one person's failure. I love Baker and have thought he's the long term guy from day 1, but I now have serious doubts.

Obj seems to have been a good teammate while he's here, but he's clearly done being a good teammate. 

Baker has been missing him big but OBJ has also had some big drops and some alligator arm situations. It's the fault of both. Reality is we were going to move on from obj this off-season anyway. So no biggie for me to so a clean break. Though if it's up to me, I'm not cutting I'm. I'm going to make him inactive and sit out this season. Call me spiteful, that's fine.

This is where I’m at as well, but I will add that it’s not just OBJ that Baker is missing when they are getting open, Jarvis, Njoku and Higgins are all getting open as well.

What OBJ has done is not good but I understand his frustration. What he needs to realise is the other targets will have that same frustration but they have handled it far better.

Baker really needs to turn this around and fast or we have to be thinking hard about trying to acquire a better QB. On current form Baker is not even top 20.

• Like 2

Some have speculated that OBJ, or some insiders have dropped that Beckham is adlibbing his routes. Baker throws with a ton of confidence to Jarvis and Higgins, they are running the right route at the right time. OBJ may be running to open space at times that his QB is not anticipating. THis makes him look open and Baker look bad on the throw. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Some have speculated that OBJ, or some insiders have dropped that Beckham is adlibbing his routes. Baker throws with a ton of confidence to Jarvis and Higgins, they are running the right route at the right time. OBJ may be running to open space at times that his QB is not anticipating. THis makes him look open and Baker look bad on the throw. 

It’s not a wild conclusion to come to.

Baker’s throws to OBJ are wildly off, there’s no debating that, but that’s also not a trait that Baker has displayed with anyone else.  Ever.  Here, college, whatever, he’s always been accurate.

If a WR is inconsistent in their routes, running at different speeds, depths, etc., it’s impossible to throw with timing there.

And if this happened with everyone it’s obvious who the problem is, but it doesn’t.

• Like 1