(Poll) Forecast What Are the Players, GM, & Coaches Opinions of Baker & the OBJ Situation

Empire Lies

(Poll) What Are the Players & Coaches Opinions of Baker  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Is Baker "The Guy" to Kevin Stefanski?

2. 2. Is Baker "The Guy" to Most Offensive Players?

3. 3. Is Baker "The Guy" to Andrew Berry?

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The outside perspective of this situation should be looked at as a failure by the HC for not being able to manage the situation.

This implies everyone is willing to be managed.

If he drops this on the team’s head yesterday and now apparently isn’t answering calls from Stefanski, not much left to do tbh.

Also, let’s not pretend OBJ doesn’t have a history of this. He’s pissed at Sefwnski, was pissed at Freddie, was pissed in NY.  Everything we’re hearing about Baker was said about Manning too.

And let’s be honest and just admit they should have traded him when they hired Stefanski. He was never gonna get more than 5-6 targets per game in this offense even if things were going well and this was probably inevitable.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

WRs will hate playing here.

1. We’re run heavy.

2. We throw to our TEs and RBs a lot.

3. Baker is average.

We’ve had a lot of guys in here over the last two season and only one has complained.

If you’re winning and getting reps and eventually getting paid, most guys are happy.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If he drops this on the team’s head yesterday and now apparently isn’t answering calls from Stefanski, not much left to do tbh.

Also, let’s not pretend OBJ doesn’t have a history of this. He’s pissed at Sefwnski, was pissed at Freddie, was pissed in NY.  Everything we’re hearing about Baker was said about Manning too.

And let’s be honest and just admit they should have traded him when they hired Stefanski. He was never gonna get more than 5-6 targets per game in this offense even if things were going well and this was probably inevitable.

Yeah but we had 3 years to get it right, a veteran coach would have pulled these guys in a room and hashed it out the second it was an issue and moved from there, that whole wish it away approach from Stefanski is a horrible look

(I'm really just venting my frustration)

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah but we had 3 years to get it right, a veteran coach would have pulled these guys in a room and hashed it out the second it was an issue and moved from there, that whole wish it away approach from Stefanski is a horrible look

I get that, I think we’re all frustrated.

This should have worked out better.

34 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Well according to Mayfield he knew nothing of an issue. It seems pretty one sided, OBJ vs. the Browns. He wanted out, made some waves and didn't get traded so now he is upset and not taking calls from his boss.

I think Mayfield was just used as a way out, not that there is actual beef between them. It probably seemed like the best option to take to get you out of a situation you don't want to be in. Unfortunately no one else wanted you at your price tag which probably doesn't make you feel any better.

Probably would have been better to say he didn't want to be here, lost his QB and team and that may have forced a trade or release quicker and it would have been a more honest way to do it.

Just my speculation on things. I certainly don't think there is an actual feud between Baker and OBJ, Baker sticks up for his teammates that want to help.  If you want out then he, like us fans, are done with you for the most part.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It's not about targets.

23 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

OBJ was polite but obviously venting privately about getting open and not getting the ball...and who can blame him. The only things that would've staved this off was production & wins. Stefanski can't force Baker to see the field better or cycle reads faster or throw more accurately. At best he could've, and may have, just stressed patience.

It's such an strange problem that I'd let Stefanski off the hook. I wanted them to trade OBJ before the season but I get that the coach of the year was confident that he could incorporate OBJ back into the offense. Pops had enough though and lobbed the grenade.

• Like 2

I don't think there is much more to debate. When given opportunity OBJ wasn't productive. Whether he should have had more opportunity on passes where he didn't need to adjust or fight for the ball can be questioned but when the ball was thrown to him and he had chances he wasn't special and frankly only 3rd receiver good... maybe.

Maybe he was great all of those times he didn't get the ball but that will be for another team to find out.

We should rework his contract that carries the same cash if he clears waivers but add the stipulation that if he signs with an AFCN team that his contract is voided. Win/Win. I'd love to see him in Pittsburgh though, that wouldn't work at all. Probably not in Cincy either but he could do things on broken plays with the Ravens and I don't want to see that.

36 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't think there is much more to debate. When given opportunity OBJ wasn't productive. Whether he should have had more opportunity on passes where he didn't need to adjust or fight for the ball can be questioned but when the ball was thrown to him and he had chances he wasn't special and frankly only 3rd receiver good... maybe.

Maybe he was great all of those times he didn't get the ball but that will be for another team to find out.

We should rework his contract that carries the same cash if he clears waivers but add the stipulation that if he signs with an AFCN team that his contract is voided. Win/Win. I'd love to see him in Pittsburgh though, that wouldn't work at all. Probably not in Cincy either but he could do things on broken plays with the Ravens and I don't want to see that.

Personally I'd keep him out of the AFC entirely. And I only cut him off he pays money back. Otherwise why? Guaranteed he signs for very minimum and in turn gets paid essentially his full contract by us while producing for another team. No.

We have the leverage here. We were already expecting to pay him. He's very rich already and wants to be the center of attention. That isn't happening here and he knows it, which is why the long-expected meltdown. OBJ, sadly, is exactly who he had shown to be in the past. 

All that said, the team's relationship to Landry might preclude the Browns from taking the hard line. Personally, I'm done with Landry next offseason. No one wants to say it, but he no doubt played a role in this.

As long as Landry doesn’t become toxic, I would keep him one more season. We need to get a receiver or two in the off-season. Assuming you get a decent rookie, we are going to have a younger group that will benefit from at least learning from Landry when it comes to preparation and the process of being a professional. I wouldn’t want to throw Mayfield out there next year without at least having one veteran in the group. All that said, that room needs to all but start over.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Nobody makes Jimmy look bad

15 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

As long as Landry doesn’t become toxic, I would keep him one more season. We need to get a receiver or two in the off-season. Assuming you get a decent rookie, we are going to have a younger group that will benefit from at least learning from Landry when it comes to preparation and the process of being a professional. I wouldn’t want to throw Mayfield out there next year without at least having one veteran in the group. All that said, that room needs to all but start over.

Respectfully disagree (to a point, as you added toxicity as being the condition; I believe that is already pretty much there). The two are joined at the hip. I have very little doubt that Juice signed off on this and knew it was gonna happen but didn't talk Odell out of it even though it is bush league to do right at the trade deadline. That's toxic behavior that Juice signed off on.

For the record, I've always liked Jarvis's fire but never thought of him as a true leader. If the OBJ situation doesn't go 100% in his favor, I see it affecting Jarvis and how he applies himself going forward. He single-handedly lost us last game and I don't think it's crazy to think that Juice was already distracted by this. He makes too much money and, when it comes down to it, produces too little to not be the heart and soul of the team. I have lost faith that he will be that. I hope I'm wrong, but we both know I'm always right.

'22 Offseason

Goodbye to Jarvis, John Johnson, Hollywood, Johnson being traded and the other two likely cuts.

Edited by NudeTayne

9 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Nobody makes Jimmy look bad

Respectfully disagree (to a point, as you added toxicity as being the condition; I believe that is already pretty much there). The two are joined at the hip. I have very little doubt that Juice signed off on this and knew it was gonna happen but didn't talk Odell out of it even though it is bush league to do right at the trade deadline. That's toxic behavior that Juice signed off on.

For the record, I've always liked Jarvis's fire but never thought of him as a true leader. If the OBJ situation doesn't go 100% in his favor, I see it affecting Jarvis and how he applies himself going forward. He single-handedly lost us last game and I don't think it's crazy to think that Juice was already distracted by this. He makes too much money and, when it comes down to it, produces too little to not be the heart and soul of the team. I have lost faith that he will be that. I hope I'm wrong, but we both know I'm always right.

'22 Offseason

Goodbye to Jarvis, John Johnson, Hollywood, Johnson being traded and the other two likely cuts.

If we sign a starting caliber veteran then that’s fine. And obviously if he is toxic then it’s an easy decision. If our idea of a receiving rotation ends up being DPJ, Schwartz, Higgins, and a rookie though (or 2), that’s a problem. Perhaps an even more pressing need than the defense in the off-season (God help us) is setting Mayfield up to be successful in year 5, where we likely decide what to commit to him. You can’t leave anything on the table. 

Edited by NateDawg
Tldr I’ll meet you in the usual spot to discuss Mr. H