Week 9 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Yeah but he had his 1984 season which no other QB has ever done before. So his post 86 stats were just worse teams for him. Peak Dan Marino is like Michael Jordan.

…I don’t understand how that in anyway contradicts the point though. Marino peaked early, looked otherworldly, won an MVP and went to a SB in his first three years…and then proceeded to be just very good for the next 16 years. It’s literally an example of what guys were saying never happens.

2 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

…I don’t understand how that in anyway contradicts the point though. Marino peaked early, looked otherworldly, won an MVP and went to a SB in his first three years…and then proceeded to be just very good for the next 16 years. It’s literally an example of what guys were saying never happens.

Marino is still the most talent QB ever in terms of well talent. 

Favre isn't quite an all-time great QB.

I mean...he's a no-doubt hall of famer. How stringent is your definition of all-time great? Inarguably in the conversation as a Top 10 qb? I mean if Favre doesn't count it feels like your list of qualifying quarterbacks is getting pretty short

I am just saying Mahomes will end up like Favre at best. A good but not great QB for his career. Mahomes putting up bad stats in 2021 is something Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Dan Marino wouldn't do. Marino in this era would put up 60 TDs and 6000 yards with ease and Mahomes is struggling to get 30 this year. Not at all an all-time QB if you struggle to put up 30 TDs in the easiest era ever. 

I am just saying Mahomes will end up like Favre at best. A good but not great QB for his career. Mahomes putting up bad stats in 2021 is something Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Dan Marino wouldn't do. Marino in this era would put up 60 TDs and 6000 yards with ease and Mahomes is struggling to get 30 this year. Not at all an all-time QB if you struggle to put up 30 TDs in the easiest era ever. 

Fatigue and burn-out is a real thing, Mahomes and Chiefs have been living on the edge for a few years, so many hugely stressful playoff games. They need a break. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

I am just saying Mahomes will end up like Favre at best. A good but not great QB for his career. 

If Mahomes ends up a 3x MVP, 11x Pro-Bowler. a bunch of all-pros and named to all decade teams, I think that's good enough for me as a Chiefs fan, considering he's already given us a SB along with another appearance.

4 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Marino in this era would put up 60 TDs and 6000 yards with ease and Mahomes is struggling to get 30 this year. Not at all an all-time QB if you struggle to put up 30 TDs in the easiest era ever. 

Tom Brady 2016-2019?
Aaron Rodgers 2018, 2019?

Or is that a different era?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

You must not have watched football when Favre was a thing. No QB respective of their era has had a peak like Favre. 3 straight MVPs is something these modern young QBs could only dream of.

I get what you’re saying about Mahomes but let’s not take away from Favre here. Guy is an absolutely legendary QB 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

Rodgers

• 2009-2014 Rodgers 109 rating 64-23 record
  • 2015-2018 Rodgers 98.2 rating  30-24-1 record
  • 2019-2021 Rodgers 107.5 rating 33-7 record

Does that count?

How about 5 of 6 seasons when Rivers turned 30?

• 08-10 rating 103.8 with a 30-18 record
  • 11-16 rating 93 with a 42-54 record
  • 17-18 rating 100.4 with a 22-11 record

Humans are not video games. They have good seasons and bad seasons and mediocre seasons.

We are talking about Mahomes at 5-4 and about a 92 rating over 9 games like he is done or something.

We are actually taking about the last 30 days if you look at what he did weeks 1-4.

Writing off an all time great over 5 games is special.

Cousins was the best QB on the planet over 5 games last November. Could we draw conclusions there?

• Like 1