I present to you, the worst draft of all-time

RaidersAreOne

On 5/13/2022 at 12:55 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If Mayock is considered for a job again in the FO, you just have to present the organization with this specific draft class to refute any chance of that.

Even as an analyst it's hard to take him seriously when he blew so many picks...

On 11/8/2021 at 12:57 PM, candyman93 said:

Browns drafted Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel in the same draft lol

We also got Joel Bitonio who probably ends up a HOFamer

That draft at least belongs nowhere near that terrible raiders draft. Extremely bad but in hindsight if you took Bitonio top 8 it would’ve been a good pick. 

Edited by brownie man

41 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

What seemed to be Mayock’s biggest downfall in the draft room? Judging from this draft he seemed to ignore athletic thresholds and focused more on “good football players”.

Where do I even start?

I'd say the biggest issues with his first round picks were:

• We always had glaring holes coming into the draft so we had several huge reaches based on need.

• Essentially every player he picked in the 1st round was from a powerhouse program who had glaring issues as prospects that were covered up by playing with elite talent.

• He had 100% faith in our assistant coaches and drafted players to fit their schemes.

And you're exactly right on him ignoring athletic thresholds. Outside of Ruggs/Leatherwood who were good athletes he took Arnette/Ferrell who were clearly limited athletes and Abram who was extremely limited in terms of his skillset. Later in the draft he tried to get cute with picks like Tanner Muse/Lynn Bowden. 

But honestly I think one of his biggest downfalls was just drafting so heavily based on what the coaches wanted. Like we took Ferrell over a bunch of other top tier defensive prospects because he supposedly fit into our scheme better. If the coaches are good then it's not a terrible strategy but he trusted Paul Guenther. When we had Gus Bradley last year we actually hit on the guys he wanted in Moehrig, Hobbs, and Deablo. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:23 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

I know. Admittedly that was one them "caught-in-moment" posts if you know what I mean. I was pissed.  Poles had just drafted a RB (AKA returner) when RB is our deepest position with Monty and Herbert and he used a 3rd to reach for a returner and fields will now be throwing to Mooney, Pringle, a returner, Equariosalmata St james, and some other nobodies. Meanwhile, we now have 4 returners and no help for fields.

Dazz-Herbert-Pringle-Ebner

I took that post as commentary on Poles stated commitment to build almost strictly through draft which as this thread points out in multiple posts with different teams is not the panacea it may seem on surface.  

Drafting can be harder than it looks.  

On 6/2/2022 at 7:39 AM, SmittyBacall said:

What seemed to be Mayock’s biggest downfall in the draft room? Judging from this draft he seemed to ignore athletic thresholds and focused more on “good football players”.

It looks like he was trying too hard to hit on potential.  Trying to make the genius pick rather than more obvious or safe ones.  

When he was an analyst he was super high on Khalil Mack and Jaire Alexander before most people were even aware of them and he got a lot of kudos for that.  That may have pointed him in a bad direction in a way.

He also didn’t play board enough.  He took guys much higher than other people likely had them and could have taken guys he liked later.

He did very well in later rounds.  The genius picks worked out there.  I think in early rounds he probably should have went more chalk and positional value. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
32 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

A few picks are saving the 2019 class from reaching the epic level of failure like the 2020 class, but man how brutal is this haul given the fact we had 3 firsts...

q8yqpatwfy7odrcbx1sm.jpg

If Crosby was pick 4 and Renfrow was pick 27 very few people would be complaining about this draft. Yeah, two of the first round picks were terrible, but as a class in a whole it is pretty damn good.

14 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If Crosby was pick 4 and Renfrow was pick 27 very few people would be complaining about this draft. Yeah, two of the first round picks were terrible, but as a class in a whole it is pretty damn good.

Meh. 

We drafted Ferrell over Devin White, Brian Burns, Ed Oliver, and Rashaan Gary. Drafted Abram over Byron Murphy, Juwan Taylor, and Deebo Samuel. And capped it off by drafting Mullen over AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Elgton Jenkins, and Erik McCoy. 

• Like 1