I present to you, the worst draft of all-time

RaidersAreOne

Eagles 2003 was rancid

• Jerome McDougle
  • LJ Smith  (fumbled in a 3 point SB loss) (selected over Jason Witten)
  • Billy McMullen
  • Jamal Green (2 Miami DEs and not a play made between them)
  • Jeremy Bridges (low tier longish term OL after the Eagles cut him)
  • Norman LeJeune

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Eagles 2003 was rancid

• Jerome McDougle
  • LJ Smith  (fumbled in a 3 point SB loss) (selected over Jason Witten)
  • Billy McMullen
  • Jamal Green (2 Miami DEs and not a play made between them)
  • Jeremy Bridges (low tier longish term OL after the Eagles cut him)
  • Norman LeJeune

Still baffles me to this day just how poorly the FO decision making was during that NFCCG stretch during thode drafts.. 

Freddy Mitchell over Wayne, Smith, Johnson

LJ of Witten

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

When you look at it with the benefit of hindsight, there are a LOT of players who get drafted and end up doing next to nothing for their team.  If you look back over the last 10 of your team's draft classes, I bet you will find that most of the players taken were a waste of a pick.  There might be one or two good years in there, but a lot of the years will be pretty bad.  This is true of just about every team.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 7:13 PM, Apparition said:

That is hideous, but I wouldn't say it's the worst draft ever.

The 2005 Vikings draft where they took Troy Williamson 7th overall is the worst that I can recall.

That was a pretty bad one.  Erasmus James actually could have been a very good player, but unfortunately, injuries derailed his career very early on.

18 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Still baffles me to this day just how poorly the FO decision making was during that NFCCG stretch during thode drafts.. 

Freddy Mitchell over Wayne, Smith, Johnson

LJ of Witten

Yeah, but 2002 was a home run

• Lito Sheppard - first team all pro in 2004
  • Michael Lewis - one time pro bowl safety
  • Sheldon Brown (Brown had as many Eagle TDs as Freddie Mitchell (6) and he was a corner)
  • Brian Westbrook - Where's Waldo of those Eagles (Joe Buck quote). He was very much like Marshall Faulk (of course not at the same level as 99-01 Faulk) 
    • Westbrook was a 4.6 ypc and 8.9 ypr career back who averaged 117.5 yards from scrimmage between 2004-2008
    • First team all-pro in 2007
    • The record for yards per punt return is 12.8. Westbrook averaged 12.8 ( 39 returns does not qualify for that list but he was awesome)
    • Belichick beat them in the SB because his plan was to focus on shutting down Westbrook to let McNabb lose the game.

They even found Raheem Brock in the 7th (who was 10 year 40 sack guy and an 8 year starter in Indy including their SB team)

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That was a pretty bad one.  Erasmus James actually could have been a very good player, but unfortunately, injuries derailed his career very early on.

They had 1 player drafted that year with a career AV over 20 (CJ Mosley (the DT, not the LB) and they traded him after 1 year for Brooks Bollinger. Ouch!

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

They had 1 player drafted that year with a career AV over 20 (CJ Mosley (the DT, not the LB) and they traded him after 1 year for Brooks Bollinger. Ouch!

Yep.  It was pretty ugly.  Like I said, Erasmus James flashed early and then got hurt and was never the same after that.  Otherwise, it was a total waste of a draft.  I consider the Vikings to be at least an above average drafting team historically, but if you go back and look at their drafts, there are a lot of whiffs in there.  I suspect it is much the same for most franchises.

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Wow, 2016 Browns draft

9 guys in the first 4 rounds

13 guys in the first 5 rounds

Not much to show for it

2000 Browns might be worse (and that had the 1st overall pick Courtney Brown)

What a concept, the draft is a total crapshoot and you could end up having a major dud.

1 minute ago, biggie. said:

What a concept, the draft is a total crapshoot and you could end up having a major dud.

That's a bunch of baloney.

Individual players are all research based risks.

Getting high picks completely wrong and getting every pick wrong are pretty rare.